.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Monday, February 27, 2006

Al-Jazeera Goes International

My first reactions upon hearing of this news on NPR were:

1- Oh, lovely.

Just what the world needs, but the televised international viewpoint in the English language, of people who view the world as one large conspiracy against Muslims, led by Israelis and Americans.

2- Get a grip, Vic.

Your attitude reminds one of how certain people viewed Fox News, when it first came out: incredulous disbelief in the basic tenets of this entity.

The difference, of course, is that the cultural expectations even of Fox News, were in line with what we know, in the West.

And that difference is purely cultural, whereas with Fox News versus MSM, it was political, first and foremost.

Still, I'll order Al-Jazeera International, when it debuts this Spring 2006, should it be offered.

Like people who disagree with the underpinnings of Fox News, but still tune in, it's better to watch those who trouble you, than to ignore them, and by inference, underestimate them.

We all know what that leads to, don't we?



Former US Marine Joshua Rushing, who was featured in the documentary Control Room, will be an on-air personality at the new channel. It has also been announced that veteran British broadcaster Sir David Frost and former BBC and CNN anchor Riz Khan will join the new channel.

Mazel Tov.

3 Comments:

  • Still, I'll order Al-Jazeera International, when it debuts this Spring 2006, should it be offered.

    Absolutely, know thy enemy. Even I check CNN once in a while.
    The battle for the hearts and minds finds our liberal MSM gaining a growing ally which they likely will greet by editorially wetting themselves from uncontained joy.

    By Blogger Paul, at Mon Feb 27, 09:40:00 am GMT-5  

  • Absolutely, know thy enemy.

    The thing of it is, Al-Jazeera are not my enemy -- so much as the enemy of the country I love, the United States.

    Whereas other MSM outlets around the world, stand for a political viewpoint which perhaps doesn't reflect mine, Al-Jazeera are committed to a viewpoint which constantly attacks this country.

    If it were this Administration only, I could live with that.

    If it were a particular Neo-Conservative policy, I could live with that.

    IOW, if their systemic anger and loathing of the United States were anything of a transitory nature, one which I could perhaps discard until a future time when it would change, I could swallow my tastes, and move on.

    This is certainly the case with NPR, as mentioned previously.

    But not Al-Jazeera.

    Any organisation that is closer to the philosophy and mindset of Al-Qaeda, is no force of good, anymore than if RTE of Ireland, had been trumpeting the IRA, versus the British, all the live long time.

    There is no excuse, not even that of sharing the same culture, for being the voicebox of terrorists.

    Even I check CNN once in a while.

    Me too. I do so all the time.

    I hate being so caught in an ideological corner, that one learns nothing that way.

    The battle for the hearts and minds finds our liberal MSM gaining a growing ally which they likely will greet by editorially wetting themselves from uncontained joy.

    I don't think so.

    CNN and other entities are businesses, first and foremost.

    And though on paper they welcome competition, Al-Jazeera is as much a diluting threat to their viewership, than was Fox News.

    They could even lose their staff to Al-Jawannabeea.

    Yes, I just coined that. Bite me.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Mon Feb 27, 02:11:00 pm GMT-5  

  • They could even lose their staff to Al-Jawannabeea.

    So you're saying Christiane Amanpour could conceivably make the move?
    Remarkable.

    They could even lose their staff to Al-Jawannabeea.

    Yes, I just coined that. Bite me.


    Your new word reminds me of Janjaweed and except that one openly uses the sword while the other encourages it's use I think they're similar in hatred.

    I often wonder if I was born, raised and lived in, say Saudi Arabia or any Muslim country where my information was so restricted just how very badly I would hate the United States. I just think CNN and it's brethren would welcome Al-Jazeera in their seemingly endless campaign to showcase all that is bad in the United States and ignore that which is good. Particularly regarding our military.

    By Blogger Paul, at Mon Feb 27, 11:20:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.