.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

You What?

I can't believe this Peter Brookes' cartoon of Senator Obama in The Times (UK).

"And I've decided to spend more time with my bananas!" ...???



NOTE TO PROGRESSIVES: It's not okay for you to make these references anymore than anyone else, even to make a (barely fathomable) point.

This cartoon reminds me too uncomfortably of a Josh Marshall post, which highlighted one of his commenters' replies about the Presidential debate.

I think people really are missing the point about McCain's failure to look at Obama. McCain was afraid of Obama. It was really clear--look at how much McCain blinked in the first half hour. I study monkey behavior--low ranking monkeys don't look at high ranking monkeys. In a physical, instinctive sense, Obama owned McCain tonight and I think the instant polling reflects that.

So McCain may have given away his status as a low-ranking monkey. I'd never even considered monkey rank.

It doesn't matter if you're complimenting Senator Obama by making an allusion to him being the high ranking monkey. It's almost inconceivable to mention monkeys, bananas, or anything remotely similar around human beings, let alone those slurred throughout history by such insults.

My God, what is wrong with people?

CORRECTION: EEEK! The mother of all mistakes has just happened to me. Jules, a commenter, writes:

The cartoon though is not about Obama, but is of David Miliband, the British Foreign Secretary. See this Reuters report.

Which is not only indefensibly ironic, since I'm British, but also shows you how much I have the US Presidential election on the brain. I am so sorry! It was the ears that done me in...

Labels:

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.