.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Roundabout

Sometimes, when the world seems to be gaining on you, it's good to take some time for yourself, and sit for a while in a little corner just on your own.

Maybe it's a very British thing, this sitting on a chair or bench -- just contemplating the silence, without a book in your hands or sound escaping to another person nearby, but you cannot deny its therapeutic value.

It calms. It strengthens. It renews.

I saw it as I drove 'round and 'round Miami yesterday, and realised immediately, all I needed for a while, was this sanctuary which mimicked the seaside holidays I remember as a child.

For one, it had a lovely bed of azaleas, a shot of colour which instantly made me happy.

Colourful, flowering plants are not plentiful here, because they wilt so quickly, and last a mere few days, if you're lucky. Kew Gardens, it's not.





Never mind.

I sat on the bench, and on doing so, almost instantly the glowering skies opened up, dropping a hint of sunlight on me, which I appreciated.

To my left was a slope of green, a kind of grassy knoll which led to a sweet scene -- one of the many canals that Miami has, modest at first glance...





...until you notice the boats tethered next to the usual magnificent homes these Americans always seem to possess.





A little beyond my world, momentarily disturbed, was one of new bounty which was unafraid, even a little bumptious, to show it.

Who knows what troubles the people inside this house had. Maybe they were overwhelming.

But for that half-hour that I spent looking at this scene filled with nouveau riche aplomb, I was amused, bouyed, perhaps even a little spurred on to conquer life, as others before me had done so well.

One thing's for sure.

No one ever got to fashion a scene so lovely, by being overwhelmed by life.

So I got up, and after chuckling inwardly...





...at this roundabout, a structure which always seems to fluster Miamians unaccustomed to its intrinsic circular Britishness (which you can only navigate with equal parts courage and politesse), I left.

I was myself again.

As my old Headmistress used to implore, "Shoulders back, girls, and head high! Onward, upward, and beyond!".

6 Comments:

  • Full of good advice, those Headmistresses. Good to see you're back.

    By Blogger JSU, at Wed Jan 03, 10:34:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Full of good advice, those Headmistresses.

    It's interesting that you pounced on that, since...well, let's just say that we girls always made fun of her sayings, of which this was just a sample.

    Its redolent of stout brogues, hardy tweeds and tapioca puddings, which inculcated (or were supposed to, anyway) a sense of austerity, discipline, but also a spirit of endurance in us.

    But I swear, if it had been my chum Penelope reading this, she would've laughed at me, and my memories. :)

    ("You know you're getting old when...")

    Good to see you're back.

    Thanks, JSU, my dear friend.

    I missed you loads too. :)

    (I thought of you, when I told dad I want to see Samson et Delilah at the FGO this April. Denyse Graves is singing)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Thu Jan 04, 12:17:00 am GMT-5  

  • That second image looks a tad like Christchurch, New Zealand. PBS had something on regarding NZ. And an American lad was traveling about. One stop was punting on the river through a section of Christchurch - more English than England.

    "Spit, spot!" - Mary Poppins

    By Blogger benning, at Thu Jan 04, 10:06:00 am GMT-5  

  • That second image looks a tad like Christchurch, New Zealand. PBS had something on regarding NZ. And an American lad was traveling about. One stop was punting on the river through a section of Christchurch - more English than England.

    Interesting!

    Canals here are usually rather wide, and there are actually catfish (as well as gators...) inside them, so they don't resemble Amsterdam.

    But maybe Barcelona a bit.

    "Spit, spot!" - Mary Poppins

    Eww, Mary Poppins. Almost as bad as the Sound of Music.

    (Or as Pauline Kael once famously called it, The Sound of Mucus)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Thu Jan 04, 08:52:00 pm GMT-5  

  • "Shoulders back, girls, and head high! Onward, upward, and beyond!".

    (In my mind's eye: the words spoken by the Maggie Smith of about 10 years ago, I imagine.) Yet another precious moment, today! Thanks.

    By Blogger Internet Ronin, at Fri Jan 05, 11:03:00 pm GMT-5  

  • In my mind's eye: the words spoken by the Maggie Smith of about 10 years ago, I imagine.)

    Heh. Muriel Spark (Prime of Miss Jean Brodie) was invited to speak at my boarding school once.

    Those women are all cut from the same mold (green, furry, and hard to get rid of).

    Yet another precious moment, today! Thanks.

    I'm on a roll!

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sat Jan 06, 01:55:00 am GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.