.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

...a sweatshop of moxie

Thursday, January 13, 2005

Strangers in the Blog

This thing is addictive. I feel like Timothy Leary having ingested his first LSD tab. Only less lucid.

Well, I was browsing other blogs, most of which have a lot of time and effort expended on them; far more than I intend to do on mine. But one feature I was curious about was in the "About Me" area -- Blogspot acts as a kind of web dating-service, friend-hooker-upper, and homing pigeon all in one.

Take my choice of interests, the first of which is the most revealing: books. A solitary passion. I clicked on books, and Blogspot landed me with some pretty nifty choices for soulmates.

There were:

- Lucy of Brazil, who likes books too.

Good, I can speak Portuguese with her, which sadly for her I will never do, seeing as how she also likes the Gilmore Girls.

- Heidi , a 24-year old female who also likes NASCAR and Arena Football.


- Pootlecat, who is from Aberdeen and likes books and TLK followed by a winkie-smiley.

Tender Loving...Kat? Bad spelling makes me spotty. Pass.

Finally, most promising of all, a fellow British ex-pat named Adrian who likes "Books, More Books, History, and Skiing". Bliss. He even rates Casablanca, which I grew up hating. A few years ago, I gave it a second chance and wondered what a foolish child I was all those years.

So I pootlekatted off to his weblog . Alas for kindred spirits, it comes before a fall.

The fact that he was an egghead was alright. Not all of us can be nerdy and socially-adept. Just me and Richard Branson.

But less intriguing was his Law Ph.D. (not another lawyer), and his bashing of young Harry in Hitler Jugend costume, plus the ritualistic slagging off of the Royal Family.

Any one of these three was enough to raise my hackles, not because I disagree with his positions, indeed, I find the Royal Family rather boring and useless (a bit like Gordon Brown actually), but I run away from people who pronounce the same pat ideas in ways they consider to be the dernier cri of expression. At least the Sun won't do that. They know they are bizarre and sensationalist, and so do we.

Mind you, all things being relative, I can live with a bloke with a blog like his. Where else can I read about an Israeli girl who recently was bat mitvahed in a rustic cabin 9000 feet up in the air?

Yes, I like blogs.


  • Very nice, very nice.

    By Blogger Funky Fresh Freddie, at Thu Jan 13, 03:30:00 pm GMT-5  

  • from Cathy from Neither Here nor There:
    Hi Victoria. Thank you for visiting our blog Neither Here Nor There. Please note there we are two separate people (two eggheads if you prefer) - just as it says at the top of the blog. One of us is an expat in London (me, Cathy); one is an expat in Israel (Adrian) - just as it says at the top of the blog. I, Cathy, am the one doing the Phd in Law and it was me who posted the Harry piece. You can tell which one of us is the author of a particular post because my posts say 'posted by Cathy' and Adrian's say 'posted by Adrian'. I am a 'she', not a 'he' the last time I looked! As you travel the blogosphere you will find other joint blogs. Just make sure to make this clear to your readers - either mention both/all names or give credit to the person who actually posted. Thanks!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Jan 13, 04:09:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Oops. My first Harry-like gaffe in blogospace.

    Sorry about the mix-up, Cathy. Trust me, I wasn't impugning your gender at all. I know what it is to be a woman in this crazy ethernet-world. Of course, we still live longer than men, which is neither here nor there. Ooh, I liked how I finished that apology with a pun.

    Note to punster-self: read people's blogs before replying to them, though.


    By Blogger vbspurs, at Thu Jan 13, 04:54:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Ta. And to make things even more interesting, Adrian and I often use comments to comment on each other's posts.

    By Blogger Cathy, at Thu Jan 13, 06:09:00 pm GMT-5  

  • I loved my blog when i started..i blogged non stop..

    By Blogger Terrible lie, at Thu Jan 13, 06:20:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Cathy: Well, that does make it a right pickle to decipher, you are aware. As time goes on, I'm sure I'll be able to pick out your "voice" from Adrian's, but right now, it's all Hebrew to me.

    Terrible Lies: I love your handle. But I doubt your terrible lies are as terrible as mine.

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Thu Jan 13, 08:48:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.