.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Book Mobile

Some societies are more receptive than others to technology, but not even the tech-mad Americans are quite as much as the Japanese. Their number one tech-article of choice -- the mobile or cell phone. And since I am working on a longer piece about Japan later this week, when I saw this news wire article, I knew it would be a good preamble.

50,000 available books, including Classics, uploadable to your mobile phone.

It strikes me that that is a great idea for train-bound people, but that simply isn't the case for the US, who are a car-centric society, don't you think?

They say half the readership of the company, Bandai, are women.

Hmm, interesting. I wonder what kinds of books these read in Japan, since though everyone reads manga, it would be curious to know if there's a Japanese Barbara Cartland around.

1 Comments:

  • That was my intent! That was our generation's Book Mobile...and now there is this generation's Book Mobile. ;)

    (Note the pronunciation for the first is mobeel at the end, whereas today it's mo-bile, hah)

    And since we're showing off bookmobile routes here is ours.

    I noticed your Bookmobile stops at Scarborough Town Centre. I wonder if one of those kiddies of yesteryear was Mike Myers. I bet you had to remove him from the "Sound like a Yenta" joke section by force.

    Cheers,
    V.

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Thu Mar 31, 08:47:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.