.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Book Mobile

Some societies are more receptive than others to technology, but not even the tech-mad Americans are quite as much as the Japanese. Their number one tech-article of choice -- the mobile or cell phone. And since I am working on a longer piece about Japan later this week, when I saw this news wire article, I knew it would be a good preamble.

50,000 available books, including Classics, uploadable to your mobile phone.

It strikes me that that is a great idea for train-bound people, but that simply isn't the case for the US, who are a car-centric society, don't you think?

They say half the readership of the company, Bandai, are women.

Hmm, interesting. I wonder what kinds of books these read in Japan, since though everyone reads manga, it would be curious to know if there's a Japanese Barbara Cartland around.

2 Comments:

  • At first glance I thought the blog post was about this bookmobile. It would stop once or twice a week after school in the parking lot of our neighbourhood church to let kids take out books. Having thousands of kids squinting at tiny screens doesn't look as fun.

    By Blogger Renato, at Thu Mar 31, 03:21:00 pm GMT-5  

  • That was my intent! That was our generation's Book Mobile...and now there is this generation's Book Mobile. ;)

    (Note the pronunciation for the first is mobeel at the end, whereas today it's mo-bile, hah)

    And since we're showing off bookmobile routes here is ours.

    I noticed your Bookmobile stops at Scarborough Town Centre. I wonder if one of those kiddies of yesteryear was Mike Myers. I bet you had to remove him from the "Sound like a Yenta" joke section by force.

    Cheers,
    V.

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Thu Mar 31, 08:47:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.