.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Alive And Blogging

Which is more than I can say for this poor SOB-SUV, even if it could find the petrol to blog.



My situation is the following:

We in my part of South Florida got power yesterday, huzzah!

First of all, since I get no signal in the computer lab where I am at, I didn't get my mother's frantic calls to my mobile, notifying me that Florida Power & Light (FPL) had reconnected our area.

LOTS, and I do mean lots, of people all over South Florida are still without this all-important necessity: power.



The myriad of tie-ins to electricity in our common lives is truly mind-bending. That's what keeps the soi-disant Developed World humming, and producing, after all.

Secondly, we can now go to the supermarkets and re-stock, since unless you made provisions for your, erm, provisions, everyone lost their refrigerated items in TOTO.

My entire condo dumped the contents of their fridges this morning, and consequently, not only is there a stench I will not forget any time soon (as in Katrina), now the dread raccoons are having a feast downstairs! How raccoons got into this area, an island, I'll never know. Maybe they jet-skied on over...

Thirdly, the queues to get petrol in the stations are OVERWHELMING.

I saw FIVE separate rows of cars in one station, tailing back two blocks away, which a very organised proprietor was taking names of each driver, so no one jumped the queue!

Now that's a savvy businessman, brother.

Another petrol station wasn't so thorough, and obviously, this resulted in a bit of road-rage:



Listen, I have to be allowed a wee joke to take the edge off, right? Thanks.

So I can take a hot shower, eat hot food, watch DVDs, and style my hair with my blow-dryer -- but I still don't have 'net access or digital cable television access.

At least, when I left home.

Now I'm about to return, to brave the manic roadways ahead, during rush-hour traffic, but content in the knowledge:

There really is no place like home.

UPDATE: The rake-thin girl in front of me in the Publix supermarket queue this morning had on a white tee with the word MOTHERF*CKER on it in red-and-blue sequins; was sporting an orange feather boa that kept getting in my mouth, making me Pffut! everytime she moved her neck (she was at least, 1.85m), and got endless calls in French on her mobile from a person called "Minouche". If you are reading this, and you are that girl, dude, your seams were crooked. Get that fixed before Elaine Ford sees you.

H/T for the Post Title: My blog-buddy, Ron.

6 Comments:

  • Things are looking up enough, I suppose I'll snuff the candle in the window.
    I'll keep one going for those many still flipping switches wtihout a light coming on. I saw the lines at the Orange Bowl on the news for water and ice. It'll be a long wait for some.
    Your spirit, it is quite an attraction and good to see dancing in words again.
    Sorry your grocery line included such a comment, even more her poor choice of fashion. Ah! What can one do?

    By Blogger Paul, at Wed Oct 26, 06:22:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Hi Victoria!!! Great to finally get my power back and to find you "alive and blogging"!!!

    Wilma was no fun but we will come back stronger than ever! Many more traffic lights were already working on my way back home tonight. More gas stations open each day, more restaurants opening, life is beautiful!

    Un abrazo, Jose

    By Blogger Jose Aguirre, at Wed Oct 26, 10:36:00 pm GMT-4  

  • BTW Inglesita, I just saw the post about Versailles at 26th Parallel.

    Lo de el cafecito va! Please let me know what day and time is good for you!

    By Blogger Jose Aguirre, at Wed Oct 26, 11:35:00 pm GMT-4  

  • JOSE!! I am SO happy you are okay, buddy. :)

    Mira que estava por arrastar por toda la Souwesera para ti!

    I am running at the moment, out the door to take my dad to hospital (don't worry, papi, he's a Doc! ;), so I can't give you the hugs and kisses you deserve to have resurfaced.

    But we're all in this together, so keep in touch!

    Let's hope my stupid net access returns soon...argh.

    Paul, guys, forgive me. Renato will take over again if I am gone.

    Even my mobile phone doesn't work again now! :(

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Thu Oct 27, 09:04:00 am GMT-4  

  • Thanks for all that love Victoria! Yes these hurricanes do tend to bring us all together as neighbors help each other with many basic things! Good luck as you get back to "normal"!!!

    By Blogger Jose Aguirre, at Thu Oct 27, 10:19:00 am GMT-4  

  • First, Victoria, it's inspiring to see the posts still flowing! Most of us would be still wrapped up in securing supplies (the staples like Tostitos and tuna fish, first of course!) than making sure the damnable MSM cannot pull the wet cheesecloth over the public's eyes...so, props!

    That ex-statue with just the feet remaining begs for a caption contest: I nominate, "Astaire's ghost."

    excuse my cluelessness: what is H/T?

    Be well, and we'll keep reading

    Ron

    PS my verification word is "cewffsw" , which must be Welsh for something!

    By Blogger Ron, at Thu Oct 27, 10:27:00 am GMT-4  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.