.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Saturday, February 18, 2006

Smells Like Mistolin Spirit

You always know when you've entered a building or a house which is Cuban-American, here in South Florida.

Invariably, a particular disinfectant odour greets your nostrils, which is different from the Lysol-centric "Anglo" households.

And that disinfectant odour, is the infamous...

Mistolín.

I was at my local CVS (which used to be Eckerd Drugs here, before CVS bought them out), when I saw this sight for sore eyes.



I have an absolute mania for smells, and set much store by soap, perfumes, colognes, body splashes and unguents, especially anything called "baby".

So when I saw the cosy, low-cost Mistolín, and the cutesy, baby powder scent reunited in one bottle, I knew I had to have it.

It was only 99 cents, whch is another reason Cubans go the route of Mistolín, and its various disinfectant clones, like "Fabuloso".

It's dead cheap.

The packaging probably accounts for this, as these plastic bottles are inter-used in South America, for everything from Vegetable oil, to dish washing fluid, to shampoo.

And I'll be using the Mistolín Baby soon, as my family gear up to host a doctor's family from Peru next week, in our home.

The first thing I'm doing, is giving the guest bathroom a quick spritz all over, with my baby-scented disinfectant.

Then I'll step into the shower, and scrub myself vigourously, with my Augustín Reyes Baby soap.

Mmm. It's true what they say.

No smell is as pure, as a baby's bottom. And now I can add, "or my home".

QUESTION: Do you have a favourite "scent" which you use around your home?

UPDATE: Whoa! Some clever bartender invented a cocktail drink called "Mistolin". Ese fue Cubano.

1 1/2 parts vodka
3 parts orange juice
1 splash cranberry juice

Pour vodka into a collins glass half-filled with ice. Add the orange juice, and pour the cranberry juice. Stir gently.

5 Comments:

  • Crabtree and Evelyn have an orange-cinnamon spray that I use around the house, which I like a lot. I normally can't take perfumes or colognes because they seem so strong to me. Every year my lilac bush blooms for a month, and I bring them quite frequently, and their scent is fantastic!

    By Blogger Ron, at Sat Feb 18, 12:09:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Crabtree and Evelyn have an orange-cinnamon spray that I use around the house, which I like a lot.

    Nice!

    On the one hand, I love love love orangey fragrances...on the other, I hate cinnamony ones (with the exception of around Christmastime).

    But I especially like that you shop at Crabtree & Evelyn. I do too. :)

    Come to think of it, I did get my dad a cologne with those two fragrance notes by C&E.

    I think it's called Sierra...

    I normally can't take perfumes or colognes because they seem so strong to me.

    Most men are the same way.

    If you want a good cologne without overwhelming you, which most modern colognes do (hello Fahrenheit), try:

    Eau de Cologne by Dior

    Or

    Eau Imperiale by Guerlain

    My grandfathers wore those, but they are classics, so you won't ever smell like an old fuddy-duddy. :)

    (Also, anything by scent emporium "Floris" in Jermyn St. in London, but not sure they have that here)

    Every year my lilac bush blooms for a month, and I bring them quite frequently, and their scent is fantastic!

    Mmmmmmm. A man after my own heart!

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sat Feb 18, 12:28:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Another sure-fire sign of a Cuban house is the aroma of Agua de Violeta, especially on babies and small children.

    I don't think there's anything more Cuban than that. My wife and I once gave a bottle of that stuff to my "cubano-arrepentido" stepbrother for the birth of his baby, and he almost soiled his pants!

    By Blogger Robert, at Tue Feb 21, 12:19:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Another sure-fire sign of a Cuban house is the aroma of Agua de Violeta, especially on babies and small children.

    Of course!

    Babies are, to our "Anglo" minds, doused in the stuff as soon as they pop out, which is odd.

    And you know how people can tell I'm not Cubana?

    (Because, though I look gringa, Cubans are fair too, obviously)

    Because I don't have pierced ears.

    Sin chambelonas, no eres Cubana!

    I don't think there's anything more Cuban than that.

    Intrinsically Cuban, absolutely.

    Since guayaberas, mamey shakes, and cafe con leche and cigars are all found in other cultures.

    But Agustin Reyes is more Cuban than Celia Cruz!

    My wife and I once gave a bottle of that stuff to my "cubano-arrepentido" stepbrother for the birth of his baby, and he almost soiled his pants!

    Hah!

    Me, I love it.

    Although when I read that book I mentioned, Jubana! by Gigi Anders, she went at length about Agua de Violetas Rusas.

    My Violetas is that bottle with the narrow neck, and the white top, not that Rusas crap.

    P.S.: Don't mind your stepbrother. As you know, young Cubans often feel alienated from their Cubanosity roughly from ages 15 to 30.

    Then it comes back with a vengeance!

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Wed Feb 22, 12:36:00 am GMT-5  

  • By Blogger reyt, at Mon Jul 06, 05:22:00 am GMT-4  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.