.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Wednesday, May 17, 2006

Some Folks Don't Have Blogs

But they have cars.



The one lesson America has given the world, is that if you want to say something, you'll have a bigger impact, the more people see your opinion.

This idea that you have a right to say something publicly, no matter how silly or offensive, is possibly the archetypal American impulse -- next to competition, and most of all, independence.

Since most folks can't afford to buy a full-page ad in the New York Times for their ramblings, as Mr. Sean Penn can, and they won't be interviewed by Bernard-Henri Lévy (as Sharon Stone was) for his American Vertigo travellogue, they have to choose more personalised forms of disbursing their opinions.

These conduits are usually two:

One, their persons.

Two, their cars.

This is why I wore RELAX and FRANKIE GOES TO HOLLYWOOD t-shirts as a kid in the 80's. And I looked as cute as a button.

But this is also why this person used his/her vehicle to advertise to all who would read it, his opinion on the recent Spanish-language translation of the US National Anthem.

"Our National Anthem is in 'English' -
We Have Not Asked for Translation
Take It Or Leave It
'God Bless America'"


Never mind what he is saying. That's not really the point.

I'm just glad people don't feel constrained to express a controversial opinion, no matter what others in Hollywood may tell you.

When famous people, whose fame has been gained at the cost of our hard-earned money, want to vent, MSM come a-callin' to transmit their thoughts.

When we do it, we have to go out to CVS, buy a magic marker, cellotape, and cardboard.

And on rare festive occasion, we have to brave the possibility that our cars will be keyed for our bothers.

So for this reason, and that of chutzpah, I salute people like these who dare to say what's in their minds...

...whether I agree with them or not.

5 Comments:

  • "Cellotape."

    You crack me up, Victoria.

    By Blogger Pete, at Wed May 17, 07:24:00 am GMT-4  

  • "Cellotape."

    You crack me up, Victoria.


    I was away for most of Wednesday, Pete, although I see I needn't have worried too much about replying to a slew of replies for my three blogposts *g*, but I did wonder what this above meant.

    Then it dawned on me.

    Oh! I misspelt Cellotape (Sellotape), as I always do.

    But no...I think that's not it. It's some kind of giggle at a Britishism, which I am careful not to employ on my blog, because it raises eyebrows from my usual North American readership. :)

    Scotch tape. That's the ticket.

    Sowwy. :)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Thu May 18, 02:07:00 am GMT-4  

  • Yep, it was a giggle. I find your occasional lapse into Britishisms charming so no need to be sorry.

    By Blogger Pete, at Thu May 18, 07:11:00 am GMT-4  

  • If we had to rewrite our Constitution tomorrow, I'd want you to have a prominent place in it's completion.

    By Blogger Paul, at Fri May 19, 03:57:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Nice post Vicky. Here is the window decal I have displayed on my car for over a year now. http://mitchagana.blogspot.com My locale is a very redneck part of the US but so far knock wood no keyings, dents or acid baths.

    I had to break down and buy one of those, bite my tongue, "W the Prezzy" decals first and then put the more appropo "Moron" over it. Creative decaling (sp) I guess.

    By Blogger Mitch Agana, at Sun Jun 25, 10:44:00 am GMT-4  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.