.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

...a sweatshop of moxie

Thursday, May 18, 2006

Teehee Da Vinci Code

Apparently, the lovingly-anticipated, Dan Brown novella to screen adaptation, the Da Vinci Code, bombed dramatically to a sold-out critics audience at the Cannes Film Festival, this Wednesday night.

I am teeheeing because though I had plunked down $18.75 * to watch this film on Friday night at 11:20 PM EST, I am secretly delighted its airy-fairy premise has left even the secular French jaded, in the film's "reveal" climax moment.

In India, in fact, there are several protests in Bombay, and other places, from Christian groups (especially Roman Catholics, which are considered part of the intellectual elite iof India, since many Orders have control of upper-class "convent" schools like the über-preppy Cathedral School).

The film is even being held up, but it is thought a last-minute compromise, will set the debut date to jibe with the rest of the world -- 19 May.

Thailand's courts already reversed a ruling which had seen many edits to the film, so you can see this is no laughing matter to the many outraged people out there -- such as, in fact, my mother -- who will be skipping the Da Vinci Code in protest.

I don't believe in protests, as a rule, and though I have perenially noted on this blog, that I find Dan Brown's writing so awful, as to be completely distracting, his forté is crafting a plot that is original and exciting.

So on that basis alone, I will gladly watch this film cynically, but willingly.

You can be certain, that I will be blogging on it this weekend, too.

* I shall explain later Friday, why I paid such a hefty price for an advance ticket to see this film, which sadly, neither of my parents wanted to accompany me to watch (nor my one remaining, South Florida-centric friend).

Just get ready for another, rollicking ride on Sundries' travellogue series!

P.S.: Although if I would boycott the DVC, it would be because of Tom Hanks' bizarre new hairstyle, with those greasy long locks.

He looks like a lounge singer's idea of what Father Guido Sarducci would look like, if he were a French intellectual. Ick.

P.P.S.: And Ian McKellen can go suck both my jumblies, for that totally stupid remark on the Today Show, when he said the whole Bible is a work of fiction.

Heh. I think he'd hate that even more than his reviews after Richard III.


Angels and Demons

UPDATE: Ah, the IMDB boards, gotta love 'em when you're not pulling out your hair.

As if the conspiracy theorists who have replicated like roaches in the United 93 forum weren't enough, now we have the trolls, malcontents, and throw-mud-up-and-see-what-stickers, at it in the Da Vinci Code forum.

But I have to say, as far as comic relief is worth, this spendidly absurd post gave me pause.


"Dan Brown is right now writing a novel that will follow up DVC titled "The Warhol Code". It will be about a detective finding out from Andy Warhol's paintings that Jesus and Judas were gay lovers that sticked cans of Campbell's soup up their asses, and that Jesus came back to earth on the 20th century and had an affair with Marylin Monroe. The film version will be directed by Pedro Almodovar and will star Heath Ledger as the detective and George Takei as his sidekick/lover and will have hardcore gay orgies at the end of the film with Catholic and Episcopalian priests. The soundtrack of the film will be composed by Elton John, Michael Jackson and recently discovered secret tracks from Freddy Mercury. It will beat Titanic's record at the box office with One trillion dollars and will win every Oscar the next year after the film, which the entire crew will use as dildos."

No wonder Bette Davis said Oscar looked like her ex-husband.


  • Ian McKellen can go suck both my jumblies

    Ian rang me this morning, asked if I could do some stand-in but very nasty work down in South Florida and I said yeah, sure, but you owe me big time, Gandolf.

    And I'm gonna hold him to that...

    By Blogger I R A Darth Aggie, at Thu May 18, 07:58:00 am GMT-4  

  • Ian rang me this morning, asked if I could do some stand-in but very nasty work down in South Florida and I said yeah, sure, but you owe me big time, Gandolf.

    And I'm gonna hold him to that...

    You won't be sorreeeeeee.


    By Blogger vbspurs, at Thu May 18, 11:32:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Doesn't Ian McKellen play for that other team? The one that wouldn't take any pleasure from your jumblies?

    And should you really be handing out punishments like that? Crime will shoot up by several orders of magnitude, at least!!!

    By Anonymous Darrell, at Fri May 19, 01:12:00 am GMT-4  

  • I confess to having to look up the meaning of jumblies.

    Even while Sir Ian does play for the other team, I don't think he'd feel too punished submitting to the task.

    And a small request given the suggestion of jumblieness, next nekkid pictures full frontal, please, pretty please, pretty, pretty, please.

    By Blogger XWL, at Fri May 19, 02:15:00 am GMT-4  

  • You won't be sorreeeeeee.

    We'll see about that... ;-)

    By Blogger I R A Darth Aggie, at Fri May 19, 11:15:00 am GMT-4  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.