.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Another Kind Of All-Star Game

Americans are currently enthralled by the two-day phenomenon that is the MLB All-Star Game. It's taking place in Yankee Stadium, the hallowed ground's last hurrah.

However, yesterday 14 July also counted with another kind of All-Star game, in nearby Briarcliff Manor, New York, at the Trump National Golf Club.

The 2008 Joe Torre Safe at Home Foundation Golf Classic.

Some of the list included ex-President Bill Clinton, ex-Mayor Rudolph Giuliani, current NYC Mayor Michael Bloomberg, perennial Yankees fan Billy Crystal, and of course the course's owner, Donald Trump.

Here is a reunion photo showing this high-octane lineup, doing their bit for charity.



The thing that most struck me is that President Clinton, who once looked fantasticly slimmed-down after heart surgery...is back to being quite paunchy.



Who can't recall him in those Daisy Duke shorts of his, "jogging"...often to McDonalds. His pasty white legs make their appearance again here, and those ankle socks just aren't helping.



I used to play golf, and though I'm probably not as good as any of these guys, I know a bad swing when I see one. Slice...



Much better, your Honour!



Catty remarks aside, it's really good to see Yankees living legend, Yogi Berra. Not sure if he played, but that he leant his old buddy, Joe Torre, his support by his presence is joy enough.



IN THE COMMENTS: Ruth Anne is beginning to see Ann Althouse's point about men in shorts:

I'm beginning to side with Althouse on the [generally] anti men-in-shorts position. This might fall within her sports/weather exception, but dang. Just dang.


For the record, I myself have no problems with guys in shorts. I actually think Mayor Bloomberg looks rather good in them, and I've seen him off the course too.

The problem is Bill's taste in shorts, and his refusal to realise how god-awful he looks in them. He's like that ugly girl everyone knew in High School, who somehow thought she was hot stuff.

Labels: , , ,

5 Comments:

  • I'm beginning to side with Althouse on the [generally] anti men-in-shorts position. This might fall within her sports/weather exception, but dang. Just dang.

    By Blogger Ruth Anne Adams, at Tue Jul 15, 04:19:00 pm GMT-4  

  • I saw a mention of your dad in a comment on Althouse. Hope everything is OK.

    By Blogger Randy, at Tue Jul 15, 11:01:00 pm GMT-4  

  • I wear shorts to work daily. I clean the Wal-Mart store, as well as wandering the parking lot gathering shopping carts.

    Some of the ladies whistle at my manly gams. Perhaps they're just being funny.

    I wear shorts to work daily.

    Hehehee!

    By Blogger benning, at Thu Jul 17, 08:49:00 am GMT-4  

  • Ruth Anne, you've been AWOL during all the guys-in-shorts talk on Althouse these days!

    Randy, thank you so much. That really means a lot to me. :) ...he was discharged yesterday, so he's much improved, thank God.

    Benning, you are so hot in whatever you wear! At least, I imagine you thusly. ;)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Fri Jul 18, 01:35:00 am GMT-4  

  • Maybe it's just loose flesh (on Clinton) leftover from the paunchy days.

    "These days are ooon...Share them with me..."

    By Blogger chuck b., at Fri Jul 18, 05:25:00 am GMT-4  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.