.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Thursday, August 21, 2008

Ex-Cane Lauryn Williams

The adorable 5'3" sprinter from the University of Miami, Lauryn Williams, failed yet again in the women's 4x100m relay race, when she and Torri Edwards bobbled the baton.

Afterwards, with crackling voice, told the NBC reporter, "Someone must have a voodoo doll of me".

Well, Obeah is the Jamaican voodoo. Just sayin'...

And speaking of Jamaica, can we send Tropical Storm Fay there? Maybe then she'd learn how to haul arse quicker out of Florida. Jeez. 20-30 inches so far. That's Noah's Ark proportions.

Still, considering all the catastrophes around the Olympics, at least we're not this poor Hungarian weightlifter, much the worse for wear after his lift.

DO NOT VIEW IF YOU'RE SQUEAMISH.

I WARNED YOU.

LAST CHANCE.



Yeah, I know. Romanian gypsy curse.

UPDATE: Over at Althouse, the blogger uses a word called "sledgehammer" when she wishes to cudgel her commenters over the head with a point they obviously didn't get.

Here's my sledgehammer:

Do not ever show your country, through your comments, in anything but a positive light. When you wilfully misunderstand a post, due to oversentimental nationalism, due to being the underdog the whole of your life, and see insults were NONE were given in earnest, you look stupid, and worst of all, Third Worldish.

That is unforgiveable. You will never be taken seriously as a nation, if you do that. Touchiness is for losers.

So do not come to this blog and let down your side here. I refuse to let you embarrass your countrymen in any way.

Labels: ,

9 Comments:

  • Vic! Come over to Fluffy Stuffin, for a small treat for you...

    By Blogger Ron, at Fri Aug 22, 12:19:00 am GMT-4  

  • Hopefully i see my comment uncensored or even up for that matter

    You lose.

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Fri Aug 22, 02:14:00 am GMT-4  

  • LOL! Ron, that is brilliant.

    For those who don't get it, here's Ron's post.

    I really have to get more sleep. Those bags under my eyes KILL.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Fri Aug 22, 02:27:00 am GMT-4  

  • I can see where my own country is in error at times, but why get down on her? And what mannerless fool dumps on the homeland of their host(ess)? Sheer rude folly!

    Anybody gives you guff, Vicks, tell Ron and me. We'll head over and smack 'em around!

    Grrrr!

    By Blogger benning, at Fri Aug 22, 06:02:00 am GMT-4  

  • It must have been Jamaica she was talking about. I don't see any other caribbean country winning as much medals. I am from Jamaica, but when I heard the comment I was amused by it. I laughed out loud because it was quite funny. What she needs to do is acknowledge that SHE messed up and do not blame it on anybody but herself.

    By Blogger Monica, at Fri Aug 22, 10:25:00 am GMT-4  

  • But really, the sports story of yesterday:

    Hope Solo, totally vindicated.

    By Blogger JSU, at Fri Aug 22, 01:19:00 pm GMT-4  

  • It must have been Jamaica she was talking about. I don't see any other caribbean country winning as much medals. I am from Jamaica, but when I heard the comment I was amused by it. I laughed out loud because it was quite funny. What she needs to do is acknowledge that SHE messed up and do not blame it on anybody but herself.

    Thank you for your kind, reasonable comment, Monica.

    First and foremost, congrats to Jamaica, who are blazing the world with amazing speed and racking up much merited gold medals. :)

    A few remarks on the voodoo "situation", if you'll permit.

    There are three things going on around this "voodoo" comment that people are misunderstanding.

    1- She dropped the baton during the Athens 4x100m too. This is the second time, and it just haunts her. This remark is an allusion to that, in a way.

    2- I can't know for sure, since I don't know what's in her mind (but then, neither can anyone else), but the voodoo comment is something anyone would say at any occasion when bad things KEEP happening. Remember the US men's relay team also dropped the baton. Freaky!

    It doesn't mean she really believes in voodoo, and therefore she is point accusatory fingers (e.g., towards Jamaicans). That's laughable. I can't believe people are misconstruing her words in this fashion.

    It's almost like people are searching for insults. If so, why?

    One gets the sense, if she had mentioned "a black cat" instead of voodoo, that some people would've accused her of racism.

    LOL.

    Do you see how dumb this word linking is?

    3- Jamaicans are touchy about this because they believe the remark is about them.

    It's not. It was an off-the-cuff remark from a frustrated Olympian who just blew her storied country's chances at a gold.

    End of story. There's no implied insult in her words (or in my cheesy Obeah riff either).

    I can only hope that puts this matter to rest, at least on my blog.

    Good luck to Jamaica the rest of the way, Monica!

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Fri Aug 22, 02:00:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Thank you Vicyoria.
    I thought that I was crazy. All of my Jamaican friends were offended. She was saying that what is the posibility of a world class athlete dropping the baton in two straight Olympics? My family is from Southern USA. They talk about people working roots on people. Haitians talk about voodoo. Other islands talk about Obeah. All from the same African tradition. I think that she was using an expression but if she wasn't, she could have used any of the terms and no one should have been offended. Maybe it's bacause I am 50 that I don't let stuff like that worry me.

    By Blogger Herman, at Sat Aug 23, 08:06:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Maybe it's bacause I am 50 that I don't let stuff like that worry me.

    Thanks for your comment, Herman! :)

    As my mother keeps telling me, don't sweat the small stuff.

    In sports, it's more difficult since the highest level of competition seems to attract naturally-touchy people. Phelps & Co. used Alain Bernard's diss against the US swim team to their advantage.

    But those are mindgames.

    Lauryn's molehill remark is being made into a voodoo mountain.

    Err, or something. ;)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sun Aug 24, 12:55:00 am GMT-4  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.