.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Tuesday, August 12, 2008

MSNBC, That's Not True

(Welcome TomG Report readers!)

As I tuned into MSNBC just now, David Shuster revealed that Senator Obama has been gunning his campaign ads in the State of Florida.

"Tens of thousands of ads", is how Shuster put it.

And then he cited the Wall Street Journal's claim that Senator McCain has counterpunched with this number of campaign ads in the whole State of Florida. Are you ready for the number?

0.

That is simply NOT true.

By merest coincidence, I've taken it on myself to keep mental track of the ads I have watched on NBC Channel 6, the local NBC affiliate, especially during prime-time.

The total as of 19:40 EST that I have watched is:

15 McCain
5 Obama

I've regularly been posting the updates on Althouse about this very topic, just as a curio for the commenters there.

Wondering out loud, I asked if they could post their own tallies, because of the McCain-to-Obama ad imbalance, my question is, since we are receiving the national NBC feed at times, does each State nevertheless get more local coverage for the ads?

In other words, are we in South Florida being comparatively saturated with McCain ads, and not Obama ads, due to some campaign strategy or are all Americans getting the ads at the same time?

I am now very glad I noted the times of the two ads I saw, before turning in.

The last McCain ad I saw was at EXACTLY 2:21 AM, early Tuesday. The last Obama ad was around 20 minutes later, at around 2:40 AM.

Those of you with TiVo of the Games in South Florida, do us all a favour and get that on Youtube.

I have no earthly idea where MSNBC or the Wall Street Journal are getting their stats, but it was irresponsible of MSNBC to broadcast this news without making at least a cursory search online to see if anyone was keeping track.

They would've seen my posts, at once.

Question:

  • Why would MSNBC gleefully report this news?

Because they wish to reiterate that McCain is so incompetent that his camp do not even care to target Florida, a crucial swing State, with their ads. "Is he mad??".

No, MSNBC. Some of us are keeping tabs.

Sorry to burst your Obama-tingle bubble, but actually your chap is running behind a 72-year old man in this ad race, so far.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

  • I heard a radio report that suggested that we will be seeing a lot of political commercials between now and November. Apparently, TV ad buys are ebbing, and stations/networks are offering significant discounts.

    By Blogger peter hoh, at Tue Aug 12, 11:01:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Thanks for the information and comment, Peter!

    I barely notice the commercials, unless they're very very original.

    And frankly, Obama has been very vanilla, following McCain's energy lead in the adverts I've seen.

    A counterbalance to all the rockstar videos, no doubt. :)

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Wed Aug 13, 12:15:00 am GMT-4  

  • I heard a radio report that suggested that we will be seeing a lot of political commercials between now and November.

    O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!

    ([S]he chortled in her joy. Not!!!)

    By Blogger reader_iam, at Wed Aug 13, 12:20:00 am GMT-4  

  • At this point, every edition of the nightly news is one big McCain ad.

    No matter how the media spins it, Putin's thuggery is a splash of cold water to Barry's "can't we all get along" fantasies.

    By Blogger JSU, at Wed Aug 13, 02:49:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Since I mostly watch stuff I TiVoed, I hardly ever see any ads! If by chance I am watching live TV and an Obama ad catches my attention, I find that I start feeling real sick all over.

    By Blogger Jose Aguirre, at Wed Aug 13, 02:56:00 pm GMT-4  

  • I've been seeing plenty of Obama and McCain commercials, here on the west central Florida coast. MSNBC doesn't know what they're talking about. And isn't that unuuuuuuusual?

    Yeesh!

    By Blogger benning, at Wed Aug 13, 06:16:00 pm GMT-4  

  • The candidates bought national ad time, not local. So all the ads you're seeing are the same ones everyone else across the country is seeing. Wait until October...then you'll really start seeing ads! Local and national!

    By Blogger Zachary Paul Sire, at Sun Aug 17, 05:54:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Thanks for that, ZPS! I needed some more confirmation. :)

    Now, just to say that I wish Jose, Robert, Benning, and all the other Sundries Floridians a very safe passage during Hurricane Fay.

    We might be without power on Monday night, but God willing, we should all be well so long as she doesn't gain strength.

    Thank God Cuba broke her up...

    SEE YOU ALL SOON! :)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Mon Aug 18, 12:33:00 am GMT-4  

  • Right now we're expecting Fay to pass to the east of Pinellas county. So sometime tomorrow it should get very windy, prolly rainy, too.

    Be careful down there, Vicks! You'll be getting the right cross punch!

    By Blogger benning, at Mon Aug 18, 06:51:00 pm GMT-4  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.