.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Friday, November 14, 2008

Crashing Into Sarah Palin

To anyone who has been following my blog since August 29th, you know just how intensely I have been writing about the trajectory of Governor Sarah Palin.

After she failed to make a campaign appearance in Miami, and her ticket lost the presidential election, I thought it would be ages until I saw her in person. It was akin to withdrawal, though I wouldn't go so far as to say it depressed me.

To my slight astonishment, then, the week after the presidential election saw a continued burgeoning interest in the Governor -- if anything, given that she was now calling her own shots, minus the leash of Camp McCain, she was suddenly everywhere.

Then, in one of the most unbelievable strokes of luck that I've had in my life (and I confess that I have been unbelievably blessed, for which I thank God very humbly), it was confirmed that the Governor would be attending the Republican Governors Association at the Hotel Intercontinental, no more than 5-10 minutes away from my home.

I knew this opportunity could not be passed up.

So I gathered up my courage, and sans press pass (though a blogger colleague had kindly offered his), I went to the Hotel early in the morn, and with the self-assurance that I was born with, went past the two Miami police officers closely guarding the barriers into the Hotel. After valet parking my car, once inside, no one bothered me.

Here are tips to anyone wanting to crash one of the hottest events in town.

Dress very well. Be polite. But walk in like you own the joint. Also, don't ask too many questions. Pretend you know what you are doing, and suspicion is lessened. This has served me well the whole of my life, and you would be surprised just the types of people I have met using these suggestions.

I went up one of the two escalators, in a hotel I had been to several times before (knowing the layout certainly helped). In 1994, when we were not actually watching World Cup matches around the US during that amazing year, my parents and I went to watch matches via satellite in the same ballroom area Governor Palin was in today.

Unfortunately, the area around the meetings and press conferences were impenetrable. I decided to play it cool and go back downstairs, milling around the various reporters and journalists we all of us know so well.

Walking past William Kristol, I smiled and he graciously smiled back. I could've cared less about Dana Bash, and the other soberly suited reporters leaning over their state-of-the-art Macs, typing away their bylines or transcribing their notes -- I saw the son of my personal historian heroine, Gertrude Himmelfarb, and that made me happy.

The following are my impressions, and I will stand by them, even if they turn out to be erroneous as to the names of the people I saw. I'll correct them whenever possible, after checking the guest lists.

Incredibly, there was Governor Tim Pawlenty yet again, a man I've now seen three times in two days. He was certainly a media favourite, it seemed to me.

I wondered if the Franken-Coleman situation was why he was in such great demand, but given the interviews I heard him give (2), which were not exactly sour towards Governor Palin, but they were, shall we say, cool towards her, I wonder just how much he was bothered that there but for the grace of God for Palin, he would've been alongside McCain.

I have no doubt at all that he is positioning himself for 2012.

Speaking of which, I saw our own Governor Charlie Crist, some hours later. He is perhaps the most polished man I have seen next to President-Elect Obama. He gives off precisely the same kind of sleek svelteness, which is very difficult to describe. I noticed that his face is much more leathery than he even shows in photographs. You want to talk tanning beds, there's your guy.



He is not an excitable fellow, but it struck me that almost everyone milling around shared his...oh I don't know -- perhaps irritation, mixed with edgy competitiveness.

There was a definite undercurrent of tension there, which perhaps is common in the US political realm when so many high-powered politicians are congregated in a relatively narrow space, but it was really new to me.

I went to get myself my caramel macchiato at the Starbucks inside the hotel, as the conference was in full swing.

I turned around, and I do believe the person I saw was (of all people) ex-Senator Rick Santorum. If I am right, he was accompanied by an aide, both of them acting oddly. They seemed...self-important. He nudged his way past me, though clearly I was in the queue ahead of him. Then, after perusing the desserts counter, he ironically asked me if I was "standing in line", and with a dry retort, I said yes indeed I was (I have an allergy to people who are queue jumpers).

He and his aide started snickering as they went behind me, perhaps caught off-guard at my accent and formal tone.

In fact, I have to tell you something, my dear Sundries readers. The entire atmosphere of that conference oozed people who acted as if they are self-important. I am used to a certain amount of arrogance. God knows I just admitted I can be too.

But there is a fine line between thinking you're so important, that the basic rules of life do not apply to you -- and this Hotel was bursting at the seems with such people.

To me, this is utterly ridiculous.

Certainly, I am not talking about the actual politicians who were there, who perhaps one can excuse for thinking they are important people. If you're a Governor of an US State, heck yeah, you're important.

I am talking about the dark-suited aides, flunkies, and general gadflies hanging around the politicians. I include in this the reporters on their beat, but since this is a political meeting, I will concentrate on these folks.

Perhaps I caught them on an off-day, but it strikes me that if you are the Party striving to get back into the national discourse, and certainly looking to the Governors for leadership not just politically, but in terms of bearing, that it doesn't do your kind any favours by seeming toffee-nosed.

Having a few relatives in Washington, I have met my fair share of these hangers-on, individually; lobbyists, aides, speech writers, and the like. They are often irritating people, and seem to look down on people given who is in and who is out given that day's news cycle. There is an intensity to their "inside baseball" jockeying for knowledge.

That's precisely the idea I got from this assembly.



If they didn't recognise you (and I am not in the least speaking of me, but the little by-plays I observed), or you were not in the loop, your presence was not coveted. Poor Governor Heineman of Nebraska was practically a nonentity there.

You know another strange shock I got from these many black suited aides? That many of them are really effeminate. Not swishy, you understand, though I did see a few of those. But they behaved in a feminised fashion.

One such fellow was ordering Starbucks for a well-known Governor (he said the name loudly, as if the people overhearing it would be impressed, but I will not reveal it out of discretion), and I realised that the "bag men" tend to be young, handsome, well-dressed to the point of being fashionable (which is different from being elegant, of course).

Perhaps it's understandable that when you are in that position, you need to look well since you're representing someone of note. But I was reminded of the many Buckingham Palace staff I used to meet in the after-hours Ebury Wine Bar, near Victoria Station. The men were all exactly this type of effeminate man, and I think they were hired because they got off being so close to power, and loved being surrounded by opulence.

After a while, so as to draw attention away from my lolly-gagging around, I went to the Indigo restaurant downstairs. To my astonishment, as I sat near the bar, about 20 feet away, almost as if he were in a cubicle, there was I do believe Governor Bobby Jindal. He is much younger-looking than you can imagine. He looks like he's a college freshman, and actually, in profile looked bizarrely similar to a young JFK. He was utterly alone, and since I didn't want to stare, I am not sure if he was having a quiet moment to catch up with news, or if he were on his laptop or what.

What an ascetic air he has!

There is a problem with Jindal's chances to run for the Presidency in 2012, as I see it.

There are some people who give off a certain something (more on that in a bit). Jindal didn't at all give me that impression. He seemed utterly unmagnetic, and though not ordinary, perhaps I was expecting more. Frankly, he was nerdy-looking.

To become a genuine threat to run for the Presidency, especially given the adoration of his followers, and the presence that President-Elect Obama gives off (which is genuine, he truly is impressive up close), I believe you need to be a charismatic person. Jindal looks like a rather earnest priest.

After ordering my lunch, I went back upstairs since Governor Palin's remarks were supposed to be over by that time. I went up the escalators again, and a cop smiled as I went by. Whew.

There were two permanent news stations on either side of the circular area. One was busy interviewing Mike Duncan (hey, I finally saw our fearless RNC leader), whilst the other was getting impressions from an NBC or perhaps MSNBC reporter.

If you have gotten this far in my massively long, and somewhat gossipy post, you are about to be rewarded.

Because this is when I saw Governor Sarah Palin, not 10-15 feet away from me.

Before I tell you my feelings about her, let me just add that I think I have suddenly gotten some inkling as to why feminists, and particularly, feminist journalists dislike her so.

As I saw her speaking to a bevy of these black-suits, I realised a startlingly obvious point which hadn't struck me as fully before: she was the LONE woman of power in that entire area.



Though Governor Linda Lingle was there, I didn't see her. I don't think it would've altered my impression that Sarah Palin is doing the impossible -- she is a force in a profession of raw power which is almost entirely male.

In fact, she is not just a force, she is THE FORCE right now.

As she spoke, I am not kidding you when I say that every eye was either unabashedly on her, or trying to pretend they weren't flat out staring at her.

This was the conversation at the bar, as one overheard whispered conversations in snatches.

"Finally, then Sarah Palin went..."
"Did you hear that Sarah Palin said..."
"An incredible...Sarah Palin...finished"

Sarah Palin. Sarah Palin. Sarah Palin. The name was EVERYWHERE.

When I read Bekah's account of meeting Sarah Palin, and Bekah had a far more powerful encounter than my simple clapping eyes on the lady, I recall her saying that she had a glow about her. Well, Bekah, if you are reading this, I will tell you that I wondered if that was right or were you simply too moved that day to be able to read her correctly.

I also am aware that since I do genuinely like her, that I did not want this attitude to influence me either way. I want to give you as neutral an impression as I can about Palin.

But I have to apologise for thinking that, because you were absolutely right, Beks. Sarah Palin has an aura around her that is unbelievable. I have never seen anything quite like it in a politician. I used to scoff at the idea of "rock star" whenever Obama was mentioned, but truly, there are certain people in this world which stand out as super stars. It's like they are illuminated by their own personal spotlight.



And Palin in that group of macho egos, waspish young men and resentful career women was most definitely a rock star.

Her head of hair is enormous, leonine even, giving her very slight body a top-heavy look. She was slightly stooped, and wore a shiny kind of black top which I didn't think flattered her, but she still looked utterly beautiful.

She is not that tall (a running joke on Sundries about her height) so my first jolted thought was, Katie Couric must be a shrimp.

But my second thought was 'wow'.

I kept wondering, was she always like this? Does her recent run as the Vice-Presidential nominee somehow make her stand out from those around her, giving her a glamour they just don't have? I would've loved to have known this woman before 2008.

I remember writing a blogpost after her roll-out called "Sarah Palin Does That To People", where I wrote that she has this force which draws her to some people (like Adam Brinkley, who launched that website about her vice-presidential prospects after her gubernatorial win in 2006) or like Ruth Anne Adams or Benning, both of whom mentioned her to me back in May.

We all of us were dealing with the idea of Sarah Palin, but nevertheless, she clearly had the same effect on people who saw in this small-town girl with the funny regional accent, someone to definitely keep an eye on.

Here is another interesting fact, which in fact, was mentioned by a few commenters, those self-same angry feminists, and Dennis Miller on O'Reilly the other night: Palin is sexy.



Not just sexy, as in she is shapely and cute, but the lady oozes a really startling raw sexuality.

I think this is yet another piece in the puzzle of why she is disliked by so many people, or why Sandra Bernhardt and other lesbians found themselves appalled and yet obsessed by her. There is something of the unattainable about her, which must frustrate them tremendously. One has to be very careful when talking about this aspect of her femininity, because it can be misconstrued. It's a chicken or the egg argument, at that.

Most women traipse a fine line between feeling the need to hide their gender in the workplace, to be less fecund, all in the hopes they will be taken more seriously in their jobs. And in walks Sarah Palin, her five children, the product of a happily married state. It must be indescribably frustrating to them that she doesn't play by other kinds of women-determined 'rules'.

Also, they feel that she should, by all rights, be rather ordinary -- I mean, Wasilla, the town of 7,000 come on, they think. This disappoints people who want her to be mundane, which would allow her to be easily dismissed by them.

But she's not, and they, therefore, cannot. This is the Sarah Palin problem for them: she cannot be torn down so easily. They just don't understand why. She keeps popping up, undeterred, confounding every type of received liberal wisdom.

Another thing is that of all the people in that room, one never got a conceited vibe from her.

She kept leaning into people, rocking back her head in laughter, not just listening to what the guys around her said, but paying attention to what they said. This is probably why many people call her "gracious". Her people skills, in the brief time I saw her working them, were exceptional.

Finally, I would say she also gave off an ambitious vibe.

This is hard to describe because obviously it requires personal knowledge of the woman, which I clearly lack.

But if you've ever seen a person on the make, then you've seen Sarah Palin. I understand now why Lyda Green (her Alaskan nemesis) so dislikes her, and thinks she's "sneaky". She was working that room in no uncertain way.

The Plenary Session started up a bit later, so to buy time, I decided to treat myself to a spa visit upstairs.

The beautifully appointed spa was awash with older ladies in the provided cloth bathrobes, waiting for their massages and manicures inside the Relaxation Room. I have no doubt that I was probably seated next to Governor This or That's wife. For all I know, I could've been next to a future First Lady.

Of course, I asked if Palin had been to the spa, but my attendant was "not interested in politics" as she quietly told me. She pronounced politics like many Spanish people do, incidentally, Paul-LEE-ticks.

No worries. I understand. Not everyone is crazy enough about politics to crash a conference to which she was not invited, for the express purpose of posting a very long, chatty, and perhaps at times inchoate blogpost for her readership.

Because I didn't go there and then write about it just for me.

If that had been the case, I would've taken up that kind of offer from the blogger to get a press pass and do it properly. I no doubt would've written up a more professional post, full of wonkese, and less rambling.

Instead, I wanted to be a fly on the wall for you.

As I said, I stand by my impressions of each of the situations I wrote about, but I have the sensation that if you had been there with me, you would've shared my opinions as I wrote them about each person.

I have only one regret, which my mother (who comically surprised me later by actually crashing the event herself...I guess I know where I get my moxie from) told me continues to be a source of frustration to her.

"Why didn't you take a photo of her??"

"Oh mum, come on. I couldn't do that. I was too embarrassed."

"Don't be weak! I didn't raise you to be weak!" (P.S. my mother hates weak people)

"I didn't want to look...like I didn't belong."

(angry) "You were
born belonging!"

Perhaps. Interestingly, this is the moral of this quixotic blogpost about the first time I saw Sarah Palin.

Some people were born belonging. When they have a goal, the idea that it cannot be done doesn't cross their mind. But that's not Sarah Palin's destiny. Palin wasn't born belonging. She made it by sheer brute force of her personality, her will, and ambition to belong.

It struck me that being an outsider is sometimes a blessing in disguise. Whilst others preen themselves on how much of an insider they are, how much more they know than the "little people", and just how important they are because of it, Palin stands there amongst them aware that she is the perpetual outsider.

Outsider because of her gender. Because of where she comes from. Because she doesn't play by the rules she was born to.

Sarah Palin just didn't crash an event. She crashed an entire career.

P.S.: Well, once I came down from my pampering, when the joint had cleared out for their Art Deco tour, I did take some photos. Come on now, I have to be good for something!

ON MY WAY! What a gorgeous 85F sunny SoFla day.



The entrance of the Hotel Intercontinental. Traffic homicide? All hands on deck.



A view of our new skyline. Previously the Freedom Tower, now dwarfed by those downtown condos, was the tallest building to the Northeast of it.



Coast Guard Patrol carefully inspecting the waters. A lot of governors needed to be protected inside.



The CNN station where Sarah Palin was interviewed yesterday by Larry King.



A view of the lobby from above.



You can see some of the "blue-suits" lounging around the atrium. That limestone is very neurotic.



I needed to chill out in the Relaxation Room.



As I left, this policewoman's horse cast me a dirty look. It's like he KNOWS.

Labels: , , , , , , ,

29 Comments:

  • I've been around these people before -- and your post absolutely nailed the attitude they cop.

    Ugh.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Nov 14, 09:26:00 am GMT-5  

  • Wow, I felt like I was there! Thank you for being our fly on the wall.

    I think I love your mother--that's definitely where you get it. ;)

    Feeling vindicated about the glow thing...hehe.

    By Blogger Bekah, at Fri Nov 14, 12:30:00 pm GMT-5  

  • THIS is why they pay you the big [star]bucks.

    By Blogger Ruth Anne Adams, at Fri Nov 14, 01:30:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Wonderful writing, and I agree with Bekah about feeling like I was there. However, at the end, I wanted more, more, more!!! ;)

    So was that a stock photo of Palin looking around behind her, or did you take that? She seems to be looking right at you (personally and generally). Beautiful!

    I hope she stays "outside" where we need her to be for 2012/16.

    By Blogger cardeblu, at Fri Nov 14, 01:38:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Hopefully this woman will fade into oblivion sooner rather than later! Along with the people who worship her...

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Nov 14, 01:39:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Nice follow through to your promise.

    If you had used that press pass, would you have felt obligated to report elsewhere?

    By Blogger chickenlittle, at Fri Nov 14, 02:01:00 pm GMT-5  

  • "But there is a fine line between thinking you're so important, that the basic rules of life do not apply to you -- and this Hotel was bursting at the seems with such people".

    Well said.

    In a sense the politicans are very similar to the movie stars! Wonder why they are so crazy about the one they put into La Casa Bianca? They actually think they represent the people?!

    Thanks for the great report.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Nov 14, 02:05:00 pm GMT-5  

  • "You know another strange shock I got from these many black suited aides? That many of them are really effeminate. Not swishy, you understand, though I did see a few of those. But they behaved in a feminised fashion."

    Very interesting. I hope I won't be stoned to death for saying this: Have you ever thought about the culture of eunuch?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Fri Nov 14, 02:25:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Vics, this is great journalism!

    By Blogger ElcubanitoKC, at Fri Nov 14, 03:12:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Good for you, Vic. I know this was one of your dreams and I have to admit that it took a bit of moxie to just go out and get it (if I ever get called to go on a secret mission I'll ask for you to be my partner.)

    The only thing disturbing is how you got into the middle of that crowd. And not just for the liberal reason (though I strongly suspect that if you were an African-American or arab looking male the cops would have at least asked from some ID) but also because of the obvious fact that if you were in fact up to no good (let's even say the Code Pink protester you once posted on and planned to spray a Republican politician with paint or something) then you'd have been able to do so. Al-Qaeda has been using many more female suicide bombers lately, and they are also known to be recruiting westerners who can carry out missions with less notice.

    By Blogger Eli Blake, at Fri Nov 14, 09:26:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Anonymous wrote:

    I've been around these people before -- and your post absolutely nailed the attitude they cop.

    Ugh.


    It's sad, isn't it? Power brings out the worst in people, especially on the way up.

    Thanks for the comment, Anon!

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Fri Nov 14, 09:57:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Bekah wrote:

    Wow, I felt like I was there! Thank you for being our fly on the wall.

    I think I love your mother--that's definitely where you get it. ;)

    Feeling vindicated about the glow thing...hehe.


    Bekah, you're own blog comment regarding your meet-up with Governor Palin was an utter inspiration to me.

    More than once, I wanted you to be there alongside me, as I am sure she would've recognised you.

    But there will be other times, as I know you can appreciate. :)

    My mother is a pip. She is one of these above-average beauties with a solid core of iron inside her.

    She is so very different than Palin, but of course, tough women share a lot in common, don't you think?

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Fri Nov 14, 10:00:00 pm GMT-5  

  • THIS is why they pay you the big [star]bucks.

    Ka-ching!

    Thanks, Ruth Anne. :)

    If you want any more specific details, let me know! I still have a few observations worth chivvying out.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Fri Nov 14, 10:01:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Wonderful writing, and I agree with Bekah about feeling like I was there. However, at the end, I wanted more, more, more!!! ;)

    Cardeblu, you are too kind! :)

    I feared I had written too much, but like the media barrage on Palin this week, it seems there is no end to the need people feel in knowing more about her.

    So was that a stock photo of Palin looking around behind her, or did you take that? She seems to be looking right at you (personally and generally). Beautiful!

    Ah, no. That was a newswire photo, which I found too perfectly illustrated my point. Did you see the glow effect around her? It was oddly fascinating.

    I hope she stays "outside" where we need her to be for 2012/16.

    I have some thoughts on that, Cardeblu, coming up! :)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Fri Nov 14, 10:03:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Hopefully this woman will fade into oblivion sooner rather than later! Along with the people who worship her...

    What makes you think you can come to this blog and insult me, and the commenters this way?

    Stay away from here. You are rude and unwanted.

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Fri Nov 14, 10:04:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Nice follow through to your promise.

    If you had used that press pass, would you have felt obligated to report elsewhere?


    You hit the nail on the head, Chickenlittle. It was in exchange for being the "man on the spot". Though I have to say that my fellow blogger would, I am sure, have allowed me to post my own impressions on my blog about this -- I would've felt awkward on so many levels due to his largesse.

    I am very happy it turned out this way, regardless. :)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Fri Nov 14, 10:06:00 pm GMT-5  

  • In a sense the politicans are very similar to the movie stars! Wonder why they are so crazy about the one they put into La Casa Bianca? They actually think they represent the people?!

    Thanks for the great report.


    Heh, thanks Anonymous. Casa Bianca. ;)

    You know, there are all kinds of reasons why people elect politicians to the White House. I never thought that Americans bought the "up from his bootstraps" story of Barack Obama.

    They elected him for vastly the same reasons that JFK was elected -- he represents, by virtue of his demeanour and yes, stardom, a new trajectory for America.

    It's not about change, exactly. It's about new.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Fri Nov 14, 10:08:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Very interesting. I hope I won't be stoned to death for saying this: Have you ever thought about the culture of eunuch?

    That's an interesting point, indeed, Anonymous.

    I might consider speaking of that ancient position (seen to such great effect in the Far East, but also in Imperial Rome, and Russia), in a followup.

    Male assistants as eunuchs. The ultimate yes men, no?

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Fri Nov 14, 10:10:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Ernie, gracias! Have you ever been to that Hotel? You remember it's where the Big Orange is dropped every New Year. :P

    Eli, though I did mention I wasn't overly scrutinised once inside, you fail to imagine what I had to go through to actually get into the place.

    It's true that I didn't reveal it in my piece.

    But a man of your intellect I'm sure doesn't have to be told the 1-2-3 of each sequence of events, yes?

    It makes for boring writing.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Fri Nov 14, 10:13:00 pm GMT-5  

  • But a man of your intellect I'm sure doesn't have to be told the 1-2-3 of each sequence of events, yes?

    It would read like my first novel, 70% of which was people walking up and down hallways and through doors.

    I'm so, so glad you got to see her in person! I was so disappointed for you when the election ended and she headed back to Alaska. SO awesome that she came your way, and so soon.

    I'm dropping a letter in the mail to her. Well, it started off as a letter. Now it's a small box, containing that, the newspaper letter about meeting her, and two sock monkeys I made for Piper and Trig. They're nice and colorful and stripy. :-)

    By Blogger Bekah, at Fri Nov 14, 10:52:00 pm GMT-5  

  • One gloss I'd add about Miller's comments: I think that Miller's point isn't that her critics know that Palin is sexy, but that no one has looked at them with the barely-hidden lust with which they look at Palin in years. And whereas these critics can dismiss men's lust towards models and the like by marginalizing them and thinking of them as bimbos, they can't do that with Palin who is self-evidently smart and accomplished.

    Lovely photos - I was going to ask if you took them, but the post answers that. This one is perfect. I know what you mean about feeling embarassed to take photos - I was at a conference a couple of years ago and met a judge who I'd been a big fan of; I um'd and ah'd for a while over plucking up the nerve to ask if I could get a photo with her, which of course I really wanted to do, but on the one hand one desperately wants to be just be cooooool, maaaaan. One wants to have a sense of belonging in such auspicious company, and people who belong don't act like groupies, our better nature tells us. Maybe it's a limey thing.

    By Blogger Simon, at Fri Nov 14, 11:11:00 pm GMT-5  

  • "There are some people who give off a certain something (more on that in a bit). Jindal didn't at all give me that impression. He seemed utterly unmagnetic, and though not ordinary, perhaps I was expecting more. Frankly, he was nerdy-looking."

    Vic, I believe I emailed you about this once...

    Glad to see you made it over here, Simon!

    By Blogger JSU, at Sat Nov 15, 02:35:00 am GMT-5  

  • I don't recall who said it, but one of those furious feminists essentially said that Palin... oh, I won't try to get it right at all since it used the "f" word... but that she looked hyper-sexual while simultaneously looking unavailable.

    This was supposedly very bad.

    Now, I don't know that this was an accurate observation or not. It might simply have been an observation of oh... bridled energy. A tension and potential that wasn't about *that* at all.

    But I do think that both things in whatever form do portray power... the raw vitality coupled with control. (Vitality without control burns out, control without vitality is stagnant.)

    Is that her? It sounds a bit... well... too much. Bekah mentioned writing a novel so perhaps she knows what I mean about this in relation to totally fictional tension building and what all... and now I am babbling. LOL.

    I don't doubt that Palin is ambitious. That doesn't bother me. Nor would I want to elect someone as President who wasn't self-assured enough to both make decisions boldly and listen to advice (and take or *leave* the advice.)

    I didn't find it all that surprising when staffers supposedly were complaining about her because I'm absolutely certain that while she likely listened quite well, she deferred only under duress and perhaps a feeling that her role was supporting McCain's message.

    It sounds like you had a very interesting day.

    By Blogger Synova, at Sat Nov 15, 02:47:00 am GMT-5  

  • It would read like my first novel, 70% of which was people walking up and down hallways and through doors.

    Wow, so young and already more than one novel! Bekah, I seem to draw my fair share of amazing women to Sundries, and you are definitely up there.

    I'm so, so glad you got to see her in person! I was so disappointed for you when the election ended and she headed back to Alaska. SO awesome that she came your way, and so soon.

    Thanks! I'm grateful I am surrounded by people like you and others, who can indulge me in my championship of the lady. My boyfriend was going to sms me with the news, whilst at the same time, I was trying to call him with the same. He indulges me too. :)

    I'm dropping a letter in the mail to her. Well, it started off as a letter. Now it's a small box, containing that, the newspaper letter about meeting her, and two sock monkeys I made for Piper and Trig. They're nice and colorful and stripy. :-)

    Aww, that is amazing. I recall you had said she had remembered your encounter, so perhaps this is the start of an even more amazing connexion?

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sat Nov 15, 03:09:00 am GMT-5  

  • JSU:

    Vic, I believe I emailed you about this once...

    About the nerdy bit? What was the link? :)

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sat Nov 15, 03:10:00 am GMT-5  

  • Simon:

    One gloss I'd add about Miller's comments: I think that Miller's point isn't that her critics know that Palin is sexy, but that no one has looked at them with the barely-hidden lust with which they look at Palin in years.

    True, fair point.

    Relatedly, when Joy Behar and other liberals mention her sexuality, and the specific demographic she appeals to (men over women), they mean to imply that their nether-loins are attracted to her, and they are not thinking with their brains.

    Women like Behar, Margaret Carlson, Rachel Maddow, etc. etc. really do seem to mind this.

    It's almost as if she has an unfair advantage over other women (like Hillary), and she is so devilishly ambitious as to actually use it.

    And whereas these critics can dismiss men's lust towards models and the like by marginalizing them and thinking of them as bimbos, they can't do that with Palin who is self-evidently smart and accomplished.

    Well, that's why they have to tear down that perception, anyway.

    Lovely photos - I was going to ask if you took them, but the post answers that. This one is perfect.

    Thanks, Simon!

    Incidentally, I take a gander over at Althouse every once in a while. I do so miss the commenters there, but the atmosphere is greatly changed for conservative-leaning posters like me.

    I'm hoping against hope this is temporary.

    I know what you mean about feeling embarassed to take photos - I was at a conference a couple of years ago and met a judge who I'd been a big fan of; I um'd and ah'd for a while over plucking up the nerve to ask if I could get a photo with her, which of course I really wanted to do, but on the one hand one desperately wants to be just be cooooool, maaaaan. One wants to have a sense of belonging in such auspicious company, and people who belong don't act like groupies, our better nature tells us. Maybe it's a limey thing

    I'd love to find out the judge's name one day. :P

    I think you're right about the limey thing. The worst thing one can be in the UK, is to be dewy-eyed about the powerful.

    Photographing so baldly as I would've had to do oversteps that boundary, I think, and I just couldn't do it. :P

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sat Nov 15, 03:16:00 am GMT-5  

  • I don't recall who said it, but one of those furious feminists essentially said that Palin... oh, I won't try to get it right at all since it used the "f" word... but that she looked hyper-sexual while simultaneously looking unavailable.

    God, is that the same writer whose screed I have been trying to find all these months?

    She wrote something similar, and just went on and on about shooting moose then having hot torrid sex with Todd after, and being fertile (she actually mentioned periods, if memory serves...), which is some kind of short-hand for not over-the-hill.

    It was abject neurosis on display.

    When some future historian looks up these essays about Palin in 2008, I think they will wonder just what on earth happened to some of the women who wrote about her (like Naomi Wolf).

    This was supposedly very bad.

    Now, I don't know that this was an accurate observation or not. It might simply have been an observation of oh... bridled energy. A tension and potential that wasn't about *that* at all.


    Right, exactly.

    Maybe it's because I am a woman, but sexuality isn't the first thing I notice or think about in people. I have to get on that wavelength first, to pick up nuances -- a wavelength which seems to come to men instantly, being perpetually on it, apparently.

    Palin's energy is sexualised, rather than sexu-AL.

    (That wasn't your exact point, I realise)

    But I do think that both things in whatever form do portray power... the raw vitality coupled with control. (Vitality without control burns out, control without vitality is stagnant.)

    Politics is theatre, and I do believe that sexuality is part theatre.

    Is that her? It sounds a bit... well... too much.

    Indeed it does. A South Florida Lefty blogger who monitors this site mentioned this aspect specifically.

    One of the best commentaries I've ever read on Althouse, was when someone mentioned this:

    "Why do smart nuanced Democrats become simplistic literalists when reading Palins words? It is akin to BDS."

    It was actually SGT Ted's words, I see upon Googling.

    It's not just her words, but everything about her. It turns them from intelligent beings to incoherent neurasthenics.

    I don't doubt that Palin is ambitious. That doesn't bother me. Nor would I want to elect someone as President who wasn't self-assured enough to both make decisions boldly and listen to advice (and take or *leave* the advice.)

    Let's put this very clearly.

    One simply cannot get at the level these people have gotten to, without being monumentally ambitious.

    Did you check out the Glenn Beck interview with Palin, pre-VP pick?

    She said as much -- she was interested in a greater role on the national stage.

    It doesn't bother me at all, either. Nor Obama, nor Bush 43, nor anymore.

    What does bother me is when someone treats one as sneaky, and the other as inspiring because of their ambitions.

    I didn't find it all that surprising when staffers supposedly were complaining about her because I'm absolutely certain that while she likely listened quite well, she deferred only under duress and perhaps a feeling that her role was supporting McCain's message.

    Which she mercifully never has to do again.

    What a travesty that was. I still can't get over how much of a non-Republican McCain is.

    It sounds like you had a very interesting day.

    It was brill, thanks! :)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sat Nov 15, 03:29:00 am GMT-5  

  • "They are true believers in the idea that one can be very sexy but also desexualized, which is why Palin is being treated like this giant sex object, because she's got a practiced ability at being f*ckable without showing that she might be the sort who wants to f*ck." -- Former John Edwards's blogger Amanda Marcotte from Pandagon...

    On Althouse. She's got a link to "Obnoxious Anti-Palin quotes."

    By Blogger Synova, at Sat Nov 15, 04:01:00 am GMT-5  

  • Victoria:
    "I'd love to find out the judge's name one day. :P"

    Judge Sykes, of the 7th Circuit. And yes, I did pluck up the nerve. ;)

    By Blogger Simon, at Sat Nov 15, 11:15:00 am GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.