.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

...a sweatshop of moxie

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Larry King Scores Palin

Tonight, at 9 PM. I winced when I heard this.

[Correction: WEDNESDAY, not tonight Tuesday]

Larry King was amongst those who led the "Is it okay to talk about Palin's kids/Is she Trig's real mum?" herd during the very first weekend she appeared on the national stage.

He feigned media being concerned about the moral implications of discussing her children, and the conspiracy rumours about her youngest son (motivated by the Daily Kos rumours, which essentially means that they set the Palin narrative agenda almost immediately). King is also an Obama fan, who barely makes any pretense to hide it.

I do not like Palin rewarding such a person. The same goes for The View, Oprah, and every one of those harpies who just want to boost their ratings by harassing her with calls to appear, after hardly being moderate or helpful during the campaign.

(Media, including Entertainment Tonight, CNN, NBC, seemingly everyone really, have been camped out at the Anchorage Hilton, practically in her backyard in Wasilla, hoping to score an interview. Far from not letting go of the media spotlight, they are slobbering after her. They know a ratings winner when they see one. Since she's isolated up in Alaska, I think she is acquiescing in more than, say, John Edwards would've needed to)

Presumably, because King is innocuous, and has always lobbed softballs to such radical loudmouths like Mahmoud Ahmenidajad, Governor Palin's staff thought it was all right to appear on his show -- it would look odd if he went after her and not a genocidal dictator. After all, no other entity did more harm to her than NBC/MSNBC, but she gave an extensive Today Show interview to Matt Lauer this morning.

It was great, by the way. Oddly, she looked and sounded more on point than on Greta. More on that later.

So, rev up those TiVos. Sarah at 9 PM on LKL. John at 11:30 PM on Leno.

[Correction: Wednesday, just to reiterate]

Anyone else find Senator McCain's choice of venue to finally speak out about the election and his staff rumours about Palin, really undignified?

Yeah, me too.

IN THE COMMENTS: Knox also noticed that Palin seemed less focused on Greta's show.

I thought she sounded better in her Matt Lauer interview than on Greta. She rambled a lot on Greta and was less relaxed and straightforward. She also was stronger in the local interviews I've seen. Maybe she was out-of-sorts for the Greta interview?

This is now a puzzle for me, but one worth exploring.

I will throw this out there for you to chew. I think Palin is far more effective in front of male interviewers who seem to bring out the feistier, more businesslike in her.

I think she is beyond at home with Greta van Susteren, as it's hard for her to ignore that there is a genuine admiration for her, by Greta. It could be that she was indeed out of sorts, having just come back to Alaska and not quite in her rhythm yet. Perhaps in the relaxed atmosphere of a two day long interview in her home and office, she let down her guard like a friend would.

Either way, she didn't do badly at all. She just seemed less sharp in comparison.

With the CNN crew who followed her to her office upon her return, and then later with Lauer, she brought her A-game. There's no question that her answers were more direct to the point of being blunt ("jerks"), offered greater detail (such as why the ticket lost), and though she was seen in her kitchen in all three lengthy interviews, namely ADN, Greta, and Lauer, she didn't strike one as being conversational in the Lauer interview.

If I were to make an analogy, she was the Sarah of the RNC speech with Lauer, and Sarah of the Vice-Presidential debate with Greta.

You were impressed by the first, and were charmed by the latter.

Frankly, I think I prefer the pitbull version better.

Labels: ,


  • For such a supposedly 'disastrous' presence on a losing ticket, this 'drag' does continue to attract a lot of attention. Hmm.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at Tue Nov 11, 05:44:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Fear not, Anonymous. Instead of being a legitimate newsworthy candidate, her obsessed opponents are trying to suggest she's bipolar, and suffering from a slew of complexes which make her want to seek out attention.

    Any second now, they will have her etching a 'B' on her face, you watch.


    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Nov 11, 05:48:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Seriously, Vic? LOL!

    There are a whole lot of crazies in my extended family, and not a one of them could have clawed his/her way to being the governor of a state, let along one with such a high approval rating. Bi-polar! It is to laugh.

    By Blogger Bekah, at Tue Nov 11, 05:58:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Seeing as how McCain 'announced' on the very undignified Letterman show, it seems just fine to bookend that losing campaign with Leno.

    Where was he 6 stinkin' days ago? Repudiator of the middle name in moments? I want my money back!

    By Blogger Ruth Anne Adams, at Tue Nov 11, 06:15:00 pm GMT-5  

  • "Let alone," that is.

    By Blogger Bekah, at Tue Nov 11, 06:24:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Bekah, here are some examples from the Mudflats site:

    She is totally bi-polar! People who can be so different depending on where they are and who they are with really scare me! My sister is like that, truly frightening. It’s how they make everything all about them, no matter what! (From "Tired Mom (VA)")


    What is wrong with this picture - I have a step-daughter who has a sociopath personality disorder - there really is nothing that can be done for this PD - it has been a horrible series of events for the past 5 years and it is NO JOKE {it really does exist} - the only way to deal is to cut this person off so they don’t have an audience. Everything I see leads me to believe that SP displays many of these traits. It will only get worse as she puts her “SPIN” on how people have treated her and NOT the other way around.

    I would love to think that she will exposed but one of the traits is to cut & run when people get to close to the truth, complain that SHE had nothing to do with it {whatever that action is} and why is everyone “picking on ME?”. She will change allegiances as often as her underwear.
    ;) Mart in NC

    What is it about Palin that makes people, especially women, immediately think of people they know?

    In fact, I think this is part of her everywoman appeal, which they are disturbed by. I'll speak about that in another post.


    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Nov 11, 06:50:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Where was he 6 stinkin' days ago? Repudiator of the middle name in moments? I want my money back!

    Ruth Anne, believe me, I have tussled with these same feelings myself.

    Ultimately, I think a bad RINO McCain is still better than a Senator Obama, who never refused to shake the hand of an anti-American or extreme Leftist.

    Still, in retrospect, I knew something had held me back from helping McCain's campaign directly. I was very close to phonebanking and even volunteering at those HQs.

    Thank God I did not. He never represented my brand of conservatism, and he continues to disappoint me now.


    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Nov 11, 06:53:00 pm GMT-5  

  • ...but like many here, I did give him money, and endless enthusiasm on Sundries.

    My attitude is perhaps a technicality, there to make me feel better.

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Nov 11, 06:55:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Oddly, she looked and sounded more on point than on Greta.

    I thought she sounded better in her Matt Lauer interview than on Greta. She rambled a lot on Greta and was less relaxed and straightforward. She also was stronger in the local interviews I've seen. Maybe she was out-of-sorts for the Greta interview?

    By Blogger knox, at Tue Nov 11, 08:49:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Are you sure she's on Larry King - ugh. I have to keep switching the channel back and forth - can't bear to sit through any of the other garbage. I agree with you, I esp. hope Palin does not do Oprah or The View, two shows that I have long since quit watching.

    By Blogger Laurie, at Tue Nov 11, 09:32:00 pm GMT-5  

  • And another thing...! I agree about McCain - very disappointed in his defense of Palin/reaction (or lack thereof). Wonder if he thinks if he can buddy up to the Dems and be "in the loop?" Surely he's not that delusional!

    By Blogger Laurie, at Tue Nov 11, 09:41:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Knoxy, I answer your comments (which I found fascinating to explore) in an update. Let me know what you thought about my theory, guys.

    Laurie, this whole McCain-Palin association has been one whole "and another thing!", hasn't it? It's just that kind of relationship that is unsatisfactory and imbalanced for many reasons.

    Last time I watched Oprah, was one of her Christmas giveaways some years ago. I think maybe 5 or 6. A friend of mine (a guy friend) and I used to watch her talk show in the students' lounge at Med School. It was our daily ritual. Something clicked inside me about 8 years ago, when I realised that (a) she doesn't like white people all that much (b) she likes men less.

    The View I rarely watched; as Ruth Anne says, or was that Ron, the best take down of them was by Family Guy.

    Buncha harpies.


    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Nov 11, 09:54:00 pm GMT-5  

  • What a bunch of nutcases!

    I thought Palin seemed less sharp in the Greta interview, especially today's half. To me it seemed like a combination of feeling comfortable with Greta and just being tired.

    Some of Palin's answers were a bit rambly and repetitive. It kind of reminded me of asking Mom a bunch of in-depth questions after she'd had a long day and was trying to get dinner on the table.

    At least Sarah didn't tell the reporters to give her some peace, for the love of God, is five seconds of peace and quiet too much to ask?!? Heh.

    By Blogger Bekah, at Wed Nov 12, 01:02:00 am GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.