.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Monday, February 16, 2009

Laura Norder

You may be wondering who this lovely lady might be, this Laura Norder. It's not a woman at all, but refers to the way many Brits pronounce "Law & Order".

(Think of it like JFK's Cuber, and yes, sometimes I too add the superfluous -er to words ending in a vowel sound. One which makes me wince when I hear myself saying it, is insomnier)

I only say this because it would seem ITV will be joining forces with the famed American franchise television series and will finally come out with the British version, set to premiere next Sunday, 23 February.

It'll be called, rather unimaginatively, Law and Order: UK.

The famous intro has been jiggered juuuust a wee bit to fit a different set of realities.

"In the criminal justice system, the people are represented by two separate yet equally important groups. The police who investigate crime, and the Crown Prosecution Service who prosecute the offenders."

Oh dear, the Crown Prosecution Service. Hee. Hee.



This clip above is interesting for it reveals to me that something I always thought was true about the Law & Order series, might yet prove to be a fallacy.

I always thought that L&O was a "plug and play" series, which worked regardless of the actor or character.

It was like the Denver Broncos of television shows.

No matter which running back you put out there, he was sure to run for 200 yards, and score 2 TDs every game. It wasn't the player which made it work, you see -- it was the system.

But the teaser reveals a charmless cast of actors, all politically correct, flatfooted and scrubbed up, quite different from the streetwise partnership of the late lamented Jerry Orbach and Chris Noth (my favourite cop duo in the series), snarky Sam Waterston or that amazon, Jill Hennessy.

Eh, who knows. I'll give it a chance and watch it online. And so can you, if you find away to change your IP by proxy...

P.S.: Ooh! You know what the clip didn't play? The addictive Laura Norder doink-doink.



They better.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • About 40 years ago, when Laura Norder was still in its early seasons, it was all right but now it's plug 'n play plots and cases. Boring...

    You want a good investigative cop show (possibly the best cop show), go with "Homicide: Life on the Streets".

    [Word verif.: balls. Seriously...balls.]

    By Anonymous Starless, at Mon Feb 16, 09:35:00 am GMT-5  

  • My problem with Laura Norder is the unceasingly politically correct anti American anti conservative anti Christian flavor.

    I actually like(d) L&O, even in its various permutations, but I have more than once flipped it off as it headed into the left fringe lands.

    Anyone with strong religious convictions is a pervert, cult leader, total whacko or worse. No Muslim is ever portrayed as doing anything wrong, much less beheading anyone (think the Buffalo murder will make it? Not on your life.) They are always the victims. Homeland Security and the FBI are fascist power mongers ... the list goes on.

    I got tired of trying to watch a mystery action cop show and getting "re-educated."

    No longer my first choice.

    A pox on them.

    By Blogger JAL, at Mon Feb 16, 11:56:00 am GMT-5  

  • I used to watch this show faithfully when it first started. I loved the pairing of Noth and Lumiere. I did enjoy the UK plug (sans doink doink) but I kept awaiting the arrival of Simon Pegg and the rest of the Hot Fuzz crew. Surely they must be lurking around the corner to add some much needed comic relief.

    By Blogger Caroline, at Mon Feb 16, 01:55:00 pm GMT-5  

  • My problem with Laura Norder is the unceasingly politically correct anti American anti conservative anti Christian flavor.

    That's par for the course--it's the sameness that makes me change the channel.

    I kept awaiting the arrival of Simon Pegg and the rest of the Hot Fuzz crew.

    Point their guns in the air as they lay on the ground, firing a whole clip while yelling, "Aaaaaaaaargh!!!!".

    By Anonymous Starless, at Mon Feb 16, 03:10:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.