.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

...a sweatshop of moxie

Friday, January 28, 2005

Arthur and his "two mommies"

Yes, I cop to it -- I was bemused that one of the best children's cartoons out there, namely Marc Brown's "Arthur" on PBS was going to feature an episode of "Postercards from Buster" featuring a household headed by two women. It's curious the article seemed to hint at some nefarious doings by Margaret Spellings (has there ever been a Secretary of Education with a more apposite name?). Now that's one memo I would love to have seen.

Dear Lord, it's a kiddie show for Pete's sake.

What next, Big Bird and Sebastian the Ibis (U of Miami mascot extraordinaire) caught in a torrid embrace on the sidelines?

Sebastian, GWI, 22, seeks mascot for long walks on the beach and bubble baths. Youpi! need not apply

Doc, do you think I'm the right bird for Sebastian? He's hot

Sesame Street's Maria and Miss Piggy in an episode of the "L word"? And is that Oscar the Grouch and Pee Wee Hermann watching videos in his rubbish bin? The visuals, the visuals...

Well actually, according to the article I've linked this entry to, PBS has backed off from distributing the programme, but that American ethos of lack of centralised control means that each PBS affiliate may override that decision, and decide to air it individually. If they decide to air the soporific Tavis Smiley every night, they surely won't balk at this particular thumbing of nose.

This incident reminds one of that Sesame Street character in South Africa who was HIV-positive, albeit that character never reached American shores. Might have something to do with the fact that our former presidents never denied outright that AIDS didn't exist, and that sleeping with virgins is a good way of curing the disease, but that could just be my cynicism tripping over the transom.

Well, storm in a teacup, I'm sure. Although if I know NPR, they'll be all over this story tomorrow. Maybe Terry Gross will bring on Daria and Jane to comment. My dears! That relationship was absolutely fraught.


  • I hope you've got permission to use those copyrighted images, Vic ;-)

    I thought I'd better to post a comment, as you appear to be dying on your feet, as Cypher predicted.

    Better get that digicam out.

    By Blogger Kullrad, at Sat Jan 29, 08:30:00 am GMT-5  

  • My dear, I never do anything on me feet!

    But, although I knew it was going to be rough combining USENETTing, IRCing, BLOGging, and MED SCHOOLing, not to mention that excuse for a private life I have, I didn't know it was going to be THIS hard.

    Never mind. This first week was rougher than most, and I was in no mood to arrive home exhausted and post on the blog.

    Thank goodness it's not one of those "I did this during the day, and met a hot guy!!!1one!!1" blogs. Now that would've sucked, right Kully?


    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sat Jan 29, 03:35:00 pm GMT-5  

  • interesting blog
    have you thought about increasing your blog traffic so more people can read your blog with blogazoo:
    it's free and so is blogclicker:


    By Blogger Karass, at Sun Jan 30, 06:20:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.