.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

...a sweatshop of moxie

Saturday, April 02, 2005

Pope Blogs

No, not to be irreverent -- but in fact, to be helpful. Here are two interesting blogs you can follow in the coming days.

One is called The Pope Blog, and the other, The Conclave Blog. Should you find others of like topic, please post them in the comments section.

And now begins the real work of the Catholic Church -- to find its next Shepherd.

UPDATE: As you can see by my awkward syntax and brevity earlier, which I cleaned up now, I wrote this blog post in a mighty hurry, as I was being shooed away from the University comp lab as it closed.

What I meant to add was that, though the circumstances are the saddest imaginable, in a way, I am rather in awe at the way my Church functions, as if by remote control, to use a modern analogy. In fact, it's centuries old skill which seamlessly weaves its enveloping thread of tradition -- and that fascinates me tremendously. Today, I found out that the Vatican will issue new postage stamps without the late Pontiff's crown, but with his image still on it. This signifies, of course, that the throne of St. Peter is empty of its holder, and the interregnum has begun. If ever there was a faith which fit my personality to a tee, it is Roman Catholicism. What a pity that I am such a poor practitioner.

The Pope, as I remember him

His Holiness John Paul II


  • I had a horrible thought last night as John Paul lay dying. I was recalling the passages in "I. Claudius" about the death of Augustus. There were omens and portents. Lightning, thunder, strange howling winds, two-headed monsters being born.

    And the death of Christ. A sudden darkness at noon. Earthquakes. Etc.

    And then I thought of the tsunami.

    Oh well, I'm an artist. I guess I can be forgiven, thinking such thoughts.

    Dale Andersen

    By Blogger Playwrighter, at Sat Apr 02, 08:25:00 pm GMT-5  

  • I'm no poet, but I once wrote this in a similar vein about the death of a cousin (who was buried in what seemed a deluge).

    It was as if the very heavens protested his passing, and resented his leaving with the might of a thousand -- upon which was loosed such a mighty torrent, that the world was engulfed with its earthly lamentations.

    Your words sparked that memory, and I actually had to look that up, from one of my long-forgotten journals.

    Thanks for the allegory, Dale. It was quite apposite.


    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sun Apr 03, 04:50:00 am GMT-4  

  • Well, for what it's worth, I have started one of these blog thingies myself...

    So my thoughts on John Paul II's death can now be found on http://lostriaco.blogspot.com

    Thanks Vic, you provided the unintentional inspiration to try to write down some of my thoughts myself.


    By Blogger divis, at Sun Apr 03, 06:40:00 am GMT-4  

  • I have blog grandkids!

    Amazing, ain't it. I don't feel that old...

    By Blogger JSU, at Sun Apr 03, 09:33:00 am GMT-4  

  • Welcome to Blogosphere, Divis! Consider yourself sensationally blogrolled (to use an Youksefism).

    And yes, since JSU was my inspiration, and apparently, I was your motivation, it seems we are now a 3-generation blogfamily.

    How time flies. :)

    (I'm off to the Nasdaq-100 Men's Final -- in fact, I am outrageously late...but I should be blogging about it later on, I hope)


    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sun Apr 03, 11:17:00 am GMT-4  

  • So when does that Maradiaga guy take over? He won't be Guatemala manager that much longer.

    By Blogger Jim, at Sun Apr 03, 08:42:00 pm GMT-4  

  • It's funny you should say that about Maradiaga, Jim, since my mother was talking to me about him JUST a second ago -- when she said she saw on Mexican television the leading Papabili: yes, he was amongst the ones they mentioned, but not the two leading South American ones.

    They are Cardinal Cipriani Thorne of Peru, and Cardinal Claudio Hummes of Brazil.

    I'm going with Cipriani Thorne since he seems to have British descent. :)


    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sun Apr 03, 09:13:00 pm GMT-4  

  • WoT analyst Dan Darling directs us to Papabile.

    By Blogger JSU, at Tue Apr 05, 10:30:00 pm GMT-4  

  • April Holiness is Here! I have to disagree with the committee putting Maradiaga in the Italy bracket over the oriundo Bergolgio. Oceania snubbed again!

    By Blogger Renato, at Thu Apr 07, 02:23:00 pm GMT-4  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.