.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Monday, May 02, 2005

Kosher Tours

You know, in a way it's sad observant Catholics have very few dietary restrictions; in fact, the one religious dietary no-no we had, no meat on Fridays, was unceremoniously dumped after the Second Vatican Council.

(And I'm sure I'm not the only one who wonders what happened to all those dead sinners who had snuck a bit of bacon on Fridays. Did St. Peter come 'round and say, "Right you lot. Out of purgatory, all of you. Meat on Fridays is no longer a sin. You condom users will have to wait a bit longer")

And it's precisely the law of keeping kosher that I envy about Jews.

Now, I used to date a Jewish guy, whose family might be called "Conservative"; they could date verklempt shickses like me, but when it came to foodstuffs, it was glatt kosher or bust.

When scanning a touring website just now, since my parents are considering taking a cruise around the Caribbean this summer, I saw this awesome site:

Kosher Cruises

The first thing that jumps out at us non-Jews are speciality words like "Chagim", "Sukkot", and "Shavuot", made more mysterious by the fact that entire cruises are planned around them!

(This is how non-Catholics might feel when we drop a sentence on them like, "Of course, the Tridentine liturgy is phenomenal, really making you sit up and notice the pro vobis and pro multis. Shh. The Angelus is starting")

Eddies Travel offers you a new appreciation of "Simchat Yom-Tov" at a hotel in Israel

Aww. I want to have a whole new appreciation of a Simchat Yom-Tov too, no fair.

For a girl who studied Ladino to mix better with her boyfriend's family (originally from Iraq), I feel I would fit right in with the blue-hair kosher crowd.

Ooh. I think I found my dream cruise right now!

Panama Canal Glatt Kosher Cruise

January/February 2006
With on-board theme & Chazzanim in Live Concert.

This cruise featuring: Moshe Schulhof & Benjamin Warschawski

Magical sights and sounds, magnificent destinations, tropical ports and countless new experiences await you on this unforgettable Glatt kosher cruise aboard the luxurious MSC Lirica. Sail from Florida - Mexico - Costa Rica - Panama - Columbia - Jamaica back to Florida.


On-board Chazzanim around the Panama Canal enjoying the terpsichory rhythms of Moshe Schulhof and Benjamin Warschawski -- who insiders tell me are the Israeli equivalent of Nicola di Bari and Rocco del Sud.

Ah well. Maybe next year...ooh, what's this? 'Boogie in Bavaria'. I'm so there!

7 Comments:

  • haha, excellent post!

    I'm sure I'm meant to be Jewish...

    I would love to know if - and how - you reconcile your faith with your (future) profession?

    By Anonymous caroline, at Tue May 03, 11:02:00 pm GMT-4  

  • there's no one stopping you from keeping kosher veeb :)

    I don't know what you mean by "specialty words"--they're just Hebrew words.

    By Blogger Jim, at Tue May 03, 11:57:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Caroline -- I'm glad you enjoyed this "fluff" post. :)

    As for what I presume you're asking: how do I reconcile modern science (or medicine) which is supposed to be fact-based, with ancient religion, which is supposed to be faith-based:

    In reality it's quite simple since I had a good example my whole life, my mother (a psychiatrist), one of the best Catholics I've ever met.

    She never had any difficulty mixing the two because in truth, Catholicism is a culture as much as a religion, and the least Bible-oriented of the Christian faiths, although of course, it is so important to all us.

    However, she and I are not the kind of persons who would say, "It's in the Bible!" to justify our personal religious beliefs such as creationism versus evolution.

    There are also a slew of other Catholic Church topics (abortion, etc.) that coincidentally mesh with my own ideas in life -- happy me.

    So I personally have never found any problems at all reconciling one with the other, see? :)

    Cheers,
    V.

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Wed May 04, 08:25:00 am GMT-4  

  • Yes, Jim, I know I can keep kosher -- and in fact, my mother never eats "pig", as she says so deliciously in her German accent (not).

    But I've never been a great one for following a custom that didn't have some religious import behind it.

    I mean, what's the point of keeping kosher if you don't BELIEVE it's God's laws, right? :)

    Anyway, I love me some bacon.

    As for the Hebrew words, yes love, I know they're Hebrew. *g*

    As you can see, our speciality words are in Latin, ergo, my reference.

    Cheers,
    V.

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Wed May 04, 08:28:00 am GMT-4  

  • Most people I knew kept kosher because it was their parents' laws :)

    Jews and Catholics are kindred spirits anyway, they tend to be more interested in the customs than the actual religion.

    By Blogger Jim, at Wed May 04, 09:10:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Thank-you Victoria for taking the time to respond to my rather intrusive question. Very interesting.

    Hey!~ I'm a fluff type of person....

    By Anonymous caroline morphess, at Thu May 05, 10:35:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Not at all, Morphess. I'm sure lots of people were asking, "How can ole Vic here be a doctor and be so Catholic?".

    As Jim well said, it's a lot more to do with custom as much as organised religion's strictures. :)

    Cheers,
    V.

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Mon May 09, 10:08:00 pm GMT-4  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.