.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Friday, February 10, 2006

Torino 2006

I love Olympic Games, any Olympic Games, just love them.

They appeal to my character perfectly:

1- Patriotism
2- Competitiveness
3- Individualism, yet often team work
4- Syncopation of mind and body
5- Rewards


And not the least of which, is history.

For every sporting event is a blank slate full of possibilities -- facts as yet unknown until they reveal themselves in the course of their alloted time.

But because they are a part of the Olympics, it gives these events a stature which is practically made for stone tablets.

They become set in stone, for all time, to be poured over by generations which have been born long after our time on earth has passed.

The Olympics Games are symbolic of the greatness of man, of his physical presence on earth, of the energies expended on his short time alive.

Many may scoff that the winter sports are not truly Olympic in nature, but that is surely a quibble.

The original Games at Olympia gradually expanded to include more than footraces (as if the glorious 200m could ever be called just that) and boxing.

They had chariot races, which by the way, allowed women to compete in the Games and be crowned with the laurel leaf -- as the owner of the chariot involved. Many people forget that detail, when talking of this misogynistic tourney.

It is only right and fitting that the modern Games include sports which the ancient Greeks could barely have believed could be practised in winter.

But their love of competition, of grace, and of triumph over self, they surely would have hailed as kinsmen.

My only wish for Torino 2006, is that it be safe for all participants and guests concerned.

People who have the world stage, shouldn't have to be upended by those who do nothing, but wreck our joy, and change our history.

But God willing, good will win.

FORZA TORINO!

WATCH

Leni Riefenstahl's Olympia

If you know her only from the nauseating Triumph of the Will, you're in for a treat. It is surely, the best sport documentary ever made, and quite possibly, one of the best films, full stop.

10 Comments:

  • But first, a fashion statement! What will our young Olympians be wearing as they enter the stadium?

    I love these games, I really do. For me, the only detraction comes when the carrying network assumes we are so much interested in individual stories that the actual contests go unreported.
    I like to see the athletes perform, that is what they have dedicated so much of their young lives to and the least I'd like to do is watch.
    The networks seem to turn the solemnity of these athletes dedication into a talk show.

    Bless every athlete, allowing them to perform at their peak.

    By Blogger Paul, at Fri Feb 10, 10:30:00 am GMT-5  

  • My husband gets hooked by the curling every four years. I think he'd be good at it.

    On the champion's podium: Here is a laurel. And hearty handshake.

    By Blogger Ruth Anne Adams, at Fri Feb 10, 03:55:00 pm GMT-5  

  • You simply amaze me, Ms Adams.

    By Blogger Paul, at Fri Feb 10, 04:01:00 pm GMT-5  

  • *Warning* Do not click this link with any food or liquid in your mouth.

    (It might lead to an unecessarily messy monitor)

    Verification Word: efmme

    Oh no they didn't, what's up with blogger lately?

    By Blogger XWL, at Fri Feb 10, 08:31:00 pm GMT-5  

  • What is this "Torino" of which you speak?

    By Blogger JSU, at Sat Feb 11, 04:17:00 am GMT-5  

  • But first, a fashion statement! What will our young Olympians be wearing as they enter the stadium?

    Young! Did you get a load of that old battleaxe from the British Virgin Islands?? Luge! Luge, I ask you.

    And I mean with complete respect.

    I love these games, I really do. For me, the only detraction comes when the carrying network assumes we are so much interested in individual stories that the actual contests go unreported.

    Yeah, in fact, Renato and I were chatting on the phone during some of the celebrations, and he was telling me that the delayed CBC broadcast, was not big on details like the NBC one was.

    Not sure why Brian Williams was there, but that political theme to the countries' entrance was really stupid.

    I mean, Iran's President is a berk, but there's no need to mention the Holocaust denial during Iran's parade out.

    I'm sure Iranian-Americans were thrilled...

    I like to see the athletes perform, that is what they have dedicated so much of their young lives to and the least I'd like to do is watch.
    The networks seem to turn the solemnity of these athletes dedication into a talk show.


    Yes...all we need is Star "I'm a lawyer!" Jones to give the colour analysis (no pun intended).

    Bless every athlete, allowing them to perform at their peak.

    Aww, you're so nice. ;)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sat Feb 11, 02:07:00 pm GMT-5  

  • My husband gets hooked by the curling every four years. I think he'd be good at it.

    Curling! The janitorial arts awarded at last.

    Actually, even though I come from the UK, where curling was invented obviously, I can say that I only got into curling with the 2002 Olympics.

    And like hubby Adams, I really really like it!

    Curling starts Monday. :)

    On the champion's podium: Here is a laurel. And hearty handshake.

    And a bottle of Ajax!

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sat Feb 11, 02:09:00 pm GMT-5  

  • You simply amaze me, Ms Adams.

    Hey that's my line!

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sat Feb 11, 02:10:00 pm GMT-5  

  • *Warning* Do not click this link with any food or liquid in your mouth.

    (It might lead to an unecessarily messy monitor)


    *LOL!!*

    That was amazing. Although the link someone put on Gawker, directing you to the Amazon t-shirt, was something quite different. ;)

    Hmm, 70's...gay theme eh? I might have to revise my other post!

    Verification Word: efmme

    Oh no they didn't, what's up with blogger lately?


    Ffthem back!

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sat Feb 11, 02:12:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Your comment has been fisked, JSU! ;)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sat Feb 11, 02:29:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.