.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Thursday, March 09, 2006

Theme Party!

Don't worry.

It's not another tale of marauding Peruvian visitors, or even an invite by Ludacris to one of his SoBe orgy-bashes (alas).

Today, when I was talking to a friend on the telephone about his upcoming 35th birthday, in April, he mentioned that he wanted to have a theme party.

"What, like Pirates of the Caribbean or something?"

"Erm, no, although now that you mention it, that's pretty good!"

"Anything to get me to wear green and red together, I guess."

"Stop. You know I don't object to your all black-and-white wardrobe. Where did you go? Oh, there you are. I lost you for a second in the shadows."

"Very funny. So anyway, theme party? How many people are we talking about?"

"30, maybe more. With some of my co-workers, it would make it closer to 50."

"With that many people, you don't want a theme which will bring many dupes."

"Dupes?"

"Duplicate costumes. Sheesh, I see you've never been to Kinkos."

"Good point."

"I know! I got it. Damn I'm good."

"Uh-huh."

"How about...an 1980's Nostalgia theme party!!?"


You should have heard the whelp of happy excitement he made, after I said this.

There's a reason for this, though.

For the past week, we've been chatting about VH-1's "I Love Toys" series, which uses the usual "I Love the 70s/80s/90s" format we've become accustomed to these few years:

D-Listers hired by VH-1 to nostalge (I coin, therefore I am) about these eras, because you can never talk about Teddy Ruxpin and Facts of Life enough.

I truly like these series because I can see what was going on in the US, in those years since our UK nostalgia is, like all pop culture around the world, very different from yours.

Do you know what Totopoly is? No? I rest my case.

Obviously, a 1980s theme party is perfect for a man born in 1971, and who was just hitting his teen stride in the mid-80s.

His guests will have ample references with which to work, so it's a done-deal.

Now that I've done the hard work, the rest should be easy, right?

Well, maybe.

See, I still have to choose which 80's nostalgia "topic" I want to come dressed as, for the party.

I have a month, only! Get cracking people.

I leave it to my Sundries readers to help me out with suggestions.

So far, I've thought of coming dressed as:

  • A Rubik's Cube:

    Fun, but perhaps implying I'm boxy and hard to figure out, and you get bored with me after 15 minutes. Ouch.


  • Madonna:

    I still have the fingerless gloves somewhere! But the drawback is that I suspect almost every woman invited does too. Next.


  • Cabbage Patch Dollie:

    Are you serious, Vic? They're as ugly as sin, although maybe I can come as one of those frazzled mums who fought with other frazzled mums for the last Cabbage Patch doll at Toys-R-Us. Maybe.


  • Annie Lennox with Sideburns:

    Like she appeared at the Grammys that time, remember? Drawbacks: Cross-dressing is not my forte, despite what you've heard, plus my hair isn't long enough. On my face.


  • As I said, I have a month, so we can work out the Kinks (heh) until then.

    Let me know, and I'll consider it.

    Right now, I have only one suggestion which truly is inspired, and reflects my absolute favourite part of the 1980s nostalgia wave:

    I can come dressed as...MOLLY RINGWALD!



    Dude, she was the 80s.

    17 Comments:

    • Go as Ripley (you can oil yourself up and carry a big gun, what could be better?)

      Alternately Dynasty, finding a jacket and skirt set (or cocktail dress) with the proper football player shoulder pads might be difficult, but I trust in your resourcefulness (You could be the Heather Locklear character, Linda Evans, or Joan Collins, just depends on the wig).

      Those would be the top two choices in my book.

      (As a guy I'd go as Kurt Rambis with the too tight eighties style uniforms)

      By Blogger XWL, at Thu Mar 09, 03:17:00 am GMT-5  

    • Get a couple of girlfriends to accompany you and go as the Robert Palmer girls. All kareoke of "Addicted to Love" and youll be th ehit of the party.

      By Blogger Val Prieto, at Thu Mar 09, 08:45:00 am GMT-5  

    • He doesn't like your black and white ensemble? Go as a line of cocaine! Carry a big spoon! Of course, drunks may spend the evening trying to snort you from head to foot!

      I am reminded of Dorothy Parker's request to a young man who stuck his head under her dress at a party: "Snort twice if you find truffles."

      By Blogger Ron, at Thu Mar 09, 09:34:00 am GMT-5  

    • Well, as a boy, I doubt I'd cared much about the business side of the board, (no patience) assuming I knew about it, which I didn't.

      to nostalge (I coin, therefore I am)

      originality (you're crazy, therefore I like)

      I rather like the Rubik's Cube; the thought of solving it, exclusively, of course.

      I'd come as a fog if wardrobe could work out the details, since that's what the 80's are to me.
      I've nothing constructive.

      By Blogger Paul, at Thu Mar 09, 10:22:00 am GMT-5  

    • Alien(s) was from the 80s, but not of the 80s, if you know what I mean. Ripley is timeless.

      Sorry, no better suggestions though, beyond the obvious (Boy George, Flock of Seagulls, etc.) For me, the 80s were an ugly mix of Duran Duran and Krokus, filtered through a haze of Labatt's Blue.

      By Blogger Sean E, at Thu Mar 09, 11:15:00 am GMT-5  

    • Go dressed as ET! Just remember to tell people to not touch your chest.:)

      If you have any old adidas 3 stripe track suits laying around you could go as a Run VEB.

      Why not show your feminine side go as Daisy Duke or Ms. Pac-Man? :)

      By Blogger Renato, at Thu Mar 09, 12:28:00 pm GMT-5  

    • Go as Ripley (you can oil yourself up and carry a big gun, what could be better?)

      When I read this without clicking on the link, I thought:

      Ripley's Believe it or not?? Is he mad?!

      That is so cool. I loved Sigourney Weaver growing up too.

      It's just that she's much too statuesque and butch, and I'm petite and girlie. :)

      Alternately Dynasty, finding a jacket and skirt set (or cocktail dress) with the proper football player shoulder pads might be difficult, but I trust in your resourcefulness (You could be the Heather Locklear character, Linda Evans, or Joan Collins, just depends on the wig).

      I like the idea of Alexis Carrington -- I have the bitchy brio for the role.

      But again, that requires a fair bit of acting in character the whole evening, which I'm not too keen on, if you know what I mean.

      A girl's gotta get sloshed in peace.

      Those would be the top two choices in my book.

      (As a guy I'd go as Kurt Rambis with the too tight eighties style uniforms)


      I didn't know who Kurt Rambis was, until I clicked on your very handy link(s)!

      Thanks so much for the suggestions, XWL.

      I will mull about them. Let's just say that I have a lot to work on -- much more than if it were a 90's nostalgia party.

      What was that era about? U can't touch this!

      Cheers,
      Victoria

      By Blogger vbspurs, at Thu Mar 09, 03:58:00 pm GMT-5  

    • Get a couple of girlfriends to accompany you and go as the Robert Palmer girls. All kareoke of "Addicted to Love" and youll be th ehit of the party.

      Por tu madre! That's so awesome.

      Unfortunately some things work against it.

      I'm too small for those leggy brunette types.

      I don't have a friend who is a girl at the moment (save my neighbour, but she turned down the party idea, since her dad passed away this week...) -- just guy friends.

      And secondly, between you and me, I once dated a relative of Robert Palmer (in the UK), so as Dr. Evil told Frau,

      It got weird. :)

      But it was a genius suggestion. If my chum asks me for advice to pass on, in case people have trouble coming up with something, I'll suggest that!

      Cheers,
      Victoria

      By Blogger vbspurs, at Thu Mar 09, 04:01:00 pm GMT-5  

    • He doesn't like your black and white ensemble? Go as a line of cocaine! Carry a big spoon! Of course, drunks may spend the evening trying to snort you from head to foot!

      Hmmmm. This could be a last minute alternate in case the Molly Ringwald costume doesn't work out.

      (Although sadly, I still have those throat brooches en masse, somewhere. I cringe when I think of myself dressed like that)

      I am reminded of Dorothy Parker's request to a young man who stuck his head under her dress at a party: "Snort twice if you find truffles."

      LOL! I hadn't heard that one from the divine Miss Parker. Good one, Ron. :)

      By Blogger vbspurs, at Thu Mar 09, 04:03:00 pm GMT-5  

    • originality (you're crazy, therefore I like)

      Hey! Watch it buddy. Only I am allowed to call me crazy.

      I'm 'pleasantly eccentric' to you.

      I rather like the Rubik's Cube; the thought of solving it, exclusively, of course.

      Ohhh. Deep.

      I'd come as a fog if wardrobe could work out the details, since that's what the 80's are to me.
      I've nothing constructive.


      Wow! That is such a fantastic suggestion.

      Not for the 80s themed party, but say, if I were still in University and were trying to bowl people over in the themed Jacques Derrida Deconstructionist party, "fog" would rule.

      Although I did once go as a condom to Penelope's "Come as your favourite Middle-Class Object" theme party.

      To be blogged, of course. ;)

      Cheers,
      Victoria

      By Blogger vbspurs, at Thu Mar 09, 04:06:00 pm GMT-5  

    • Alien(s) was from the 80s, but not of the 80s, if you know what I mean. Ripley is timeless.

      So true, but a little butch, nyet? ;)

      Was Xena, 1980s? She's also lipstick-lesbian fodder, with much more in the way of pelts.

      Sorry, no better suggestions though, beyond the obvious (Boy George, Flock of Seagulls, etc.)

      My friend, the birthday boy, is coming as Boy George. :)

      He has a list of potential costumes that his invitees are already telling him they're coming as, so no one dupes.

      I'm sure some will, but hey.

      For me, the 80s were an ugly mix of Duran Duran and Krokus, filtered through a haze of Labatt's Blue.

      LOL. :)

      I loved Duran Duran, but I hold a special place in my heart for A-ha and their nonsense Nordic lyrics.

      Take on meeeeeeeee.

      Cheers,
      Victoria

      By Blogger vbspurs, at Thu Mar 09, 04:09:00 pm GMT-5  

    • Go dressed as ET!

      I thought of that! Did you see the ET float during the Rio Carnival? :)

      Just remember to tell people to not touch your chest.:)

      You leave my chest alone. If she wants to party, let her.

      If you have any old adidas 3 stripe track suits laying around you could go as a Run VEB.

      Oh brother.

      Why not show your feminine side go as Daisy Duke or Ms. Pac-Man? :)

      MS PAC-MAN!! I think I have an alternate! :)

      Cheers,
      Victoria

      By Blogger vbspurs, at Thu Mar 09, 04:11:00 pm GMT-5  

    • Although I did once go as a condom to Penelope's "Come as your favourite Middle-Class Object" theme party.

      Penelope brings out your even wilder side.

      To be blogged, of course. ;)

      Avoiding Deconstruction except for some particular parts.

      I'm 'pleasantly eccentric' to you.

      Ha! You are many, many things to me. The crazy word, if possible, was meant in an endearing way.

      By Blogger Paul, at Thu Mar 09, 07:24:00 pm GMT-5  

    • There's always GI Joe. Sure, the toy line goes back to the '50s or '60s, but everyone knows it from the '80s cartoon. You could dress up like Scarlett, Lady Jaye, or the Baroness!

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at Thu Mar 09, 08:29:00 pm GMT-5  

    • Penelope brings out your even wilder side.

      You don't know the half of it. ;)

      Avoiding Deconstruction except for some particular parts.

      Quite right. No use getting all post-constructionist for nothing.

      Ha! You are many, many things to me. The crazy word, if possible, was meant in an endearing way.

      I knowwww. :)

      Cheers,
      Victoria

      By Blogger vbspurs, at Fri Mar 10, 12:14:00 am GMT-5  

    • There's always GI Joe.

      Uhhh...

      Sure, the toy line goes back to the '50s or '60s, but everyone knows it from the '80s cartoon. You could dress up like Scarlett, Lady Jaye, or the Baroness!

      Oh okay, whew.

      Never having seen that cartoon, I would have to investigate...but I do remember the Legion of Doom! :)

      Cheers,
      Victoria

      By Blogger vbspurs, at Fri Mar 10, 12:15:00 am GMT-5  

    • How about a theme for a man turning 50 who loves rock n roll and music like J Geils Band, Rolling Stones, Paul McCartney and Wings, etc. This will be a surprize and I need decoration ideas!!

      By Anonymous Anonymous, at Wed Mar 14, 12:37:00 pm GMT-4  

    Post a Comment

    Who linked Here:

    Create a Link

    << Home


     




    Advertise on blogs
    British Expat Blog Directory.