.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Sunday, March 05, 2006

The 2006 Oscars

FINAL UPDATE: In case you are scoring at home (in which case, you're luckier than I), I got 13 out of the 21 Oscar nominations I had tipped, correct. I'll take it!

This thread will be constantly redone, whenever possible, as the results come in.

For now, I have updated my Oscar Predictions, from the moment I heard them on 31 January, 2006.

Let's see just how presciently informed one's first instincts are.

If you see no update, that's because I didn't tip them in the first place.

OSCAR PREDICTIONS AND WINNERS 2006



FILM: Capote (March), Brokeback Mountain (January)

- WINNER: CRASH!!

THOUGHTS: A split, I knew it! I just tipped the wrong film. It makes sense, people. Listen, Hollywood can be thought of many things, including projecting a particular political philosophy, which many people do not share. But at the end of the day, like Stephen Holden said, the collective Hollywood community is made up of older folks, who gave the ultimate nod to another controversial but much more accessible film, made in the true Hollywood spirit. Well done. And oh please -- sign my petition to bring back Billy Crystal as Oscars Presenter for life. I beg you. Night All!

DIRECTOR: Ang Lee (March, January)

- WINNER: Ang Lee

THOUGHTS: Ang Lee started off with the best line from Brokeback, "I wish I knew how to quit you", and got a nice little ripple of laughter from the Prozacked crowd. Wow, he made this film for his dad, who passed away. Yeah, when I think of my dad, I think, bisexual sheep herders too. Listen, it's late, and after my Jay-Lo commentary, I'm running out of juicy material.

ACTOR: Philip Seymour Hoffman (March), David Straithairn (January)

- WINNER: Philip Seymour Hoffman

THOUGHTS: If such a thing as a non-surprise existed for this Oscars, this would be it. I thought he deserved a Best Supporting Actor statuette for his absolutely spot-on characterisation as the quintessential 1950's Preppy in Talented Mr. Ripley. I'm glad he won, as his Capote was eerie and textured, and completely believable: which is what these awards should be about -- to portray humans naturally, is the most difficult task in the world. It's acting that is easy.

ACTRESS: Reese Witherspoon (March, January)

- WINNER: Reese Witherspoon

THOUGHTS: Wow, she played Mama Maybelle Carter in a 4th grade play. Hey, she's from Tennessee. I love people from that state, as they have one of the most sonourous of American accents, and are very patrician to boot. Hmm, never thought I'd hear someone say "Thank you, T-Bone", without a steakhouse commercial being present.

SUPP. ACTOR: Paul Giamatti (March, January)

- WINNER, George Clooney for Syriana

THOUGHTS: Okay, not a big shock, and it seems at first bat, that the favourites will prevail. I can say that though one knew that the political portion of his speech would be forthcoming, it was at least classy. Classy is fine -- and it actually is the best thing these pampered pooches of Hollywood can do, to get their point across: don't be shrill. I'm talking to you, Michael Moore. Like you're listening.

SUPP. ACTRESS: Rachel Weisz (March, January)

- WINNER: Rachel Weisz

THOUGHTS: As expected, and though she had one of the most nervous acceptance speeches, that just petered out at the end, she did at least look more Oscar-worthy than fellow-nominee, Frances McDormand, who however won earlier for the "Best Hommage to Janis Joplin's Wardrobe". Congrats to both.

AD. SCREENPLAY: Brokeback (March, January)

- WINNER: Brokeback Mountain

THOUGHTS: Duh. Oh my I am flagging, and all my best quips are going on Althouse. Not that I can improve any of these soporific awards with any really punchy quip. Just get to the Best Picture!!

OR. SCREENPLAY: Paul Haggis/Crash (March, January)

- WINNER: Paul Haggis/Crash

THOUGHTS: As much of a given, as Brokeback in its category. A minor political statement by a nervy Haggis, cloaked in the guise of a philosophical injunction. That's fine. No problem with that, for me. In fact, overall I would say so far, so good with the lack of overtly politicising these most progressive of Oscars, a night dedicated to honouring topics which are more enthusiastically upheld on the other side. Although I'll never forgive the Academy for not placing Jimmy Doohan in the Montage O'Dead People (H/T Tiggeril on Althouse).

CINEMATOGRAPHY: Lubezki/New World

- WINNER: Beebe/Geisha

THOUGHTS: Well, the punters got it right, and I got it wrong. Hoo bloody hah, when's the next Big award? Ah! Just as I type, Jamie Foxx for certainly the Best Actress award.

FILM EDITING: Winborne/Crash

- WINNER: Winborne, Crash

THOUGHTS: Everyone with a tepid round of applause for Winborne's dad, who is 83 today. I'll pass out the macaroons.

ART DIRECTION: King Kong

- WINNER: Memoirs of a Geisha

THOUGHT: Oh dear, my second "loss". Get well, Gretchen!

COSTUMES: Atwood/Geisha

- WINNER, Atwood/Geisha

THOUGHTS: 3 for 4 so far! I should've bet on the Oscars at Littlewoods. Oh, and Renato, who is watching this with me, on the phone, says that no one cares about Shorts, let alone Animated Shorts -- the last animated shorts he cared about, were those Lion King underroos he got from his mum, for pete's sake.

SOUNDTRACK: Williams/Munich

- WINNER:, Brokeback Mountain

THOUGHTS: Great, an Argie gets it. This Oscars ceremonies are the pits. I love film, so this is why I keep watching, but Lord help me. The last great Oscars night was when Jack Palance did his push-ups, believe it...or not. Hah!

SONG: Hard Out There For a Pimp/Hustle & Flow

- WINNER: Hard Out There For a Pimp/Hustle & Flow

THOUGHTS: Yay! From the best moment in all Hustle & Flow, this song gets the Oscar. Ooh, finally some good yucks from Jon Stewart. And in passing, I'd like to say that when they are considering the next Oscars presenter, if they can't get Billy Crystal, try to Queen Latifah. She's got charisma, good comedic timing, and is a crossover celebrity like Oprah can only dream of being. QUEEN LATIFAH PEOPLE!

VISUAL EFFECTS: King Kong

- WINNER: King Kong

THOUGHTS: Whew, at least I got this one, after the George Clooney mix-up.

MAKEUP: Narnia

- WINNER: Narnia!

THOUGHTS: Woohoo. What can I say, 4 out of 5 so far. I should play Lotto, mebbe. Oh dear, he thanked his best friend. And the girl, her best imaginary friend.

SOUND EDITTING: King Kong

- WINNER: King Kong

THOUGHTS: Well, the gorilla flick is at least, racking up the "minor" Oscars. Good on him.

SOUND MIXING: War of the Worlds

- WINNER: King Kong

THOUGHTS: Watch War of the Worlds win Sound Editting instead. Ah well, at least we got monkey grunts with this win. Or was that J-Lo singing again? Oh hush.

FOREIGN FILM: Sophie Scholl (March), Tsotsi (January)

- WINNER: Tsotsi

THOUGHTS: Wow, the first thanking via website. A very dangerous precedent to set! Anyway, I see that my original choice in January was spot on. Anything not to reference Will Smith's attempt at being funny in foreign languages.

DOC: Penguins

- WINNER: Penguins

THOUGHTS: Okay, so far I've gotten them all right save Clooney. Trust a gauchiste to ruin my predictions party! I liked this acceptance speech, but you know what would have been really cool? If Luc Jacquet had thrown his penguin to Jack Nicholson, so that Jack would've been forced to take his hands off of Keira Knightley.

ANIMATION: Wallace & Gromit

- WINNER, Wallace & Gromit

THOUGHTS: Kipper bow ties and all, of course Wallace & Gromit won. They've never lost when nominated. 2 out of 3 picks right, thus far! Gosh, I just jinxed myself, didn't I?

...I have seen all these films, with the exception of "Chronicles of Narnia" (I have however, seen lengthy excerpts of said film).

7 Comments:

  • Is it overly snarky of me to say that the set is my favorite thing of the evening? It's the best Oscar set I've seen in awhile! Oh, if only they could've matted in Fred and Ginger doing "Cheek to Cheek" instead of GreenSuit Ben Stiller! At first I thought he was going to do a Zoolander riff! Why couldn't they have a CGI Jolly Green Giant pick him like a pea and squish him, or would that be rooting for "King Kong?"

    By Blogger Ron, at Sun Mar 05, 10:59:00 pm GMT-5  

  • While I don't care much for the liberal looney left that controls much of Hollywood's output, I do recognize you did an excellent job with your coverage. Your best line was:

    In case you are scoring at home (in which case, you're luckier than I), I got 13 out of the 21 Oscar nominations I had tipped, correct.

    By Blogger Jose Aguirre, at Mon Mar 06, 09:21:00 am GMT-5  

  • Guess what people!?

    Sundries: What, Vic!?!

    My DVD recording of the Oscars is gone. :(

    I mean, it didn't disappear, but it happens sometimes, when you get a defective blank DVD to record it on, that you get a "coaster" when you record something on it.

    It basically means it doesn't show up, to watch it after you've "burned" it.

    Sigh. Sigh. Sigh.

    Not that these Oscars were good. In fact, they were deadly dull even compared to recent boring years -- but I have a collection of Oscar ceremonies on videotape and DVD stretching back to 1988.

    Now, this year, I have a gap in my collection.

    Infamy for a cinephile like me!

    Can someone help a sistah out??

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Mon Mar 06, 12:46:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Thats a pretty good result, don't ask me what I scored, definitely much worse!

    They weren't that bad, I thought Jon Stewart played it fairly safe with some clever jabs and funny bits but nothing too controversial. It wasn't a home run, more like a stand up double.

    Good point on crash, race relations are a theme that members of all ages could agree with and identify with.

    Lastly, I cant believe they put Jack next to Keira, don't they know he likes them young! :)

    By Blogger Renato, at Mon Mar 06, 01:02:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Is it overly snarky of me to say that the set is my favorite thing of the evening?

    No way! And I totally agree.

    The Kodak Theatre looked like a moviepalace of yesteryear, with its harsh blacks, whites, and burnishes of gold.

    For a person with my famous love of picturehouses, especially the living treasures like the one Pastor_Jeff showed us in St. Louis, I was in heaven.

    It's the best Oscar set I've seen in awhile!

    Amen, brother-in-film.

    Oh, if only they could've matted in Fred and Ginger doing "Cheek to Cheek" instead of GreenSuit Ben Stiller!

    Everyone liked that bit, but I tell you, it left me cold.

    Every day I think of 40 Year-Old Virgin (which is, erm, not often, but hey), I am thankful Steve Carell got the lead, and not Stiller, who used to have those parts practically handed to him.

    At first I thought he was going to do a Zoolander riff!

    What is Zoolander? :)

    Is that like Highlander with animals?

    Why couldn't they have a CGI Jolly Green Giant pick him like a pea and squish him, or would that be rooting for "King Kong?"

    Dude, I'm too punch drunk from the Chicken Little skit.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Mar 07, 04:23:00 am GMT-5  

  • While I don't care much for the liberal looney left

    Hey, whaddayaknow. Looney rhymes with Clooney...

    that controls much of Hollywood's output, I do recognize you did an excellent job with your coverage. Your best line was:

    Aww, thanks Jose!

    As ever, very appreciated by me.

    In case you are scoring at home (in which case, you're luckier than I), I got 13 out of the 21 Oscar nominations I had tipped, correct.

    Well, were you? ;)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Mar 07, 04:25:00 am GMT-5  

  • Thats a pretty good result, don't ask me what I scored, definitely much worse!

    Giamatti was a nonsense pick. I really kicked myself after posting that, since I knew it was Clooney...

    But I didn't think the awards would be THAT predictable.

    There's usually some upset, somewhere, and since I had already tipped Capote not Brokeback for Best Picture...

    They weren't that bad, I thought Jon Stewart played it fairly safe with some clever jabs and funny bits but nothing too controversial. It wasn't a home run, more like a stand up double.

    I think it was more like a rope single, which he stretched out into a double. :)

    Man, can you tell Spring Training, and the World Cup of Baseball, is here?

    Good point on crash, race relations are a theme that members of all ages could agree with and identify with.

    Yes. And I can say, addressing racism by non-whites, etc., is as important as homosexual themes can be in our modern life.

    Lastly, I cant believe they put Jack next to Keira, don't they know he likes them young! :)

    You just wanted to lay your hands on her Bulgari necklace!

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Mar 07, 04:28:00 am GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.