.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

...a sweatshop of moxie

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Saw It

My internet connexion is currently down, and I am logging in from the public library, but I did want to give you my hot off the presses, mind-altering review of the Da Vinci Code. Ready?


What's more, Ronnie Howard's film doesn't even motivate me to write up a real review, apart from that monosyllabic, half-grunt above.

I would say, that like Titanic, it's one of those films one MUST see, if you like to keep up with popular culture. I know I do.

But oddly, considering Dan Brown has gone on the record to say he had certain actors in mind when he was writing the novel (e.g., Inspector Fache - Jean Reno), this clearly cinematically visual book, with its fast pace, if tortured prose, works at times for the viewer...

...and other times is so laughable, as to arrive with a dull little thud -- like a maiden aunt's slap, after you told a midly off-colour joke.

It's not unwatcheable for the first hour, which is precisely when the book is at its best.

But the second and a half, oy.

In fact, the best part of the film were the protesters outside the Muvico Palace 20!

Sweet, innocent little me:

I had no idea the concerted efforts of so many irate Christians, would actually make them come out and line Airport Road (a mile away from the theatre), with white, Kinko's placards, announcing to motorists:

The Da Vinci Code is a Lie!

Look at these youthful stragglers, who managed to avoid the police edict not to come within 300 yards of the theatre.

That was cool.

I beeped the car horn in solidarity, of course, moments before actually eagerly arriving at the movie theatre.

We Christians are nothing if not utterly, beguilingly contradictory.


  • Do you add that pinkish hue to the blue sky? Or is that really the look of Southern Florida?

    Thank you for saving me 2.5 hours and $20!

    By Blogger Ruth Anne Adams, at Sat May 20, 05:44:00 pm GMT-4  

  • We Christians are nothing if not utterly, beguilingly contradictory.

    It's the thought that counted :)

    By Blogger Paul, at Sat May 20, 10:14:00 pm GMT-4  

  • I would bet that sky is natural:The sun setting slowly in the West.

    Victoria, you are our scout! Better one person breaks the picket line than hundreds! No contradiction there! How's that for rationalization?

    By Anonymous Darrell, at Sun May 21, 12:55:00 am GMT-4  

  • Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that Vicky is still having trouble with her internet connection. She will try and be here as soon as they fix it or she gets to the UM lab.

    By Blogger Renato, at Sun May 21, 11:50:00 pm GMT-4  

  • ruth anne, we get the same kinda pink up here in Tampa Bay - or on the shore since Tampa Bay is deep!

    renato, don't tell paul! He'll mope!

    Vickers, I won't bother seeing the movie - I read 'Holy Blood, Holy Grail' years ago. So ... been there, done that. I have no interest in it.

    I have heard little positive about the film. From the critics panning it at Cannes, to one of my co-workers, who's been talking about the book for the past year and a half, giving it the ultimate shrug.

    As for the Christians protesting ... well, why not? It's thier right. Just like any other group with a grievance. I wish they'd find more important things to get worked up over.

    By Blogger benning, at Thu May 25, 01:54:00 pm GMT-4  

  • I don't get it. Why are christians so insecure that their beliefs in a fictional myth are challenged by a fictional novel?

    By Blogger Tillerman, at Sun Jun 25, 07:25:00 pm GMT-4  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.