.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

...a sweatshop of moxie

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

The Year of the Youtube

I have finally done it!

I've officially joined the rest of you in the year 2006, the "Year of Youtube".

What 2004 was to blogs, this calender year has been to the phenomenon more addictive than smack, jack and crack put together -- namely, Youtube.

I was scrolling around Youtube just now, when I saw a fellow Brit's quirky idea, which I reposted in the vid-detail section.

"Premise: A fellow British Utuber posted a typical lazy Monday afternoon lineup on telly, where he is.

Vide: http://www.youtube.com/watc...

He asked others to do much of the same -- so here is my offering, via ex-pathood in South Florida.

Call it a snapshot in time.

Your turn! ...".

He did a much better job in detailing for those unfamiliar with British television, just what was being shown in the lineup.

But I wasn't best pleased with this snarky little comment of his:

ABC1. Canned laughter American morality sit-com crap.

Oh right, yes, only American sit-coms are crap and have canned laughter. Gotcha.

This may be why I surfed gleefully to the abysmal BBC America, which had one of their usual Benny Hill episodes on.

Now, don't get me wrong.

I love Benny Hill as much as the next woman, especially if the next woman is Helena Bonham-Carter, but please -- his shows have dated as well as 8-tracks and leisure suits.

I won't follow his lead and tell you just exactly what was being shown on the clip.

The channel lineup of my selection is visible, since like his Sky package, I have that digital cable thingie which made the TV Guide or Sunday TV handouts completely obsolete in my household.

(Whenever we want to know what's up, we just scroll ahead using the clicker)

Let's just say that I sat down shortly after midnight, and recorded on my standalone DVD-R a 5 minute stretch of programming, which was in no way studied or planned.

To my surprise, we had nice vignettes of what local South Florida programming looks like.

Everything from that Furniture City clip (with the requisite flamingoes and shot of the Miami skyline above -- and that same woman who has been doing the these adverts for them for YEARS!)...to Honest Abe and Punxsutawney Phil having a heart-to-heart in one of those commercials you go "What?" and wonder what exactly they're flogging...

...to Barry Bonds hitting a weak, un-Balco-like pop up to Dave Roberts in the 8th.

Heh. That rocked. Sucka!

I know this premise is at once hokey, and pointless, as well as possibly giving me free membership to the Geek Squad.

But bite me.

I am having loads of fun with the possibilities this new computer yields.

Just two weeks ago, I had barely heard of Youtube, the craze hitting America like the hula-hoop on acid.

Now, I am a bona-fide Youtuber!

Does it get any better than this?

UPDATE: Wunn't me! Although I thought it was me, for a moment, given my string of bad technical luck.

Youtube is down, currently, for maintenance.

"We're currently putting out some new features, sweeping out the cobwebs and zapping a few gremlins. We'll be back later. In the meantime, please enjoy a layman's explanation of our website..."


  • OMG! It's happened again. :(

    I went to update the post with a query about why Mr. Brangelina Jolie defaults as the Youtube freeze frame, when I clicked on the little pencil thingie at the bottom of the post.

    That's when it went back to the very first draft of this post!

    Fortunately, this time, I made no changes and just scooted out of the post, which looks OKAYish.

    What is HAPPENING?

    P.S.: And can someone please tell me why that freeze frame of Brad Pitt is my Youtube Profile Pic???? Jebus.


    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Aug 15, 02:56:00 am GMT-4  

  • hmmm...I have no clues about 'puter gremlins...

    But YouTobe is tasty, yes? I found a bit o' film made by Orsen Welles -- in 1934! The trailer for "Skidoo", with Groucho Marx (as God), Timothy Leary, Sammy Davis...and more! Mighty cool mashups of old film/new music!

    Check into KeepVid, if you want to save clips...

    and here's a good YouTube link dump...(Salvador Dali & Disney!)


    plus...check this one for fun!

    By Blogger Ron, at Tue Aug 15, 09:44:00 am GMT-4  

  • "YouTobe"? The all Toby Keith video website, no doubt...

    still no coffee yet...

    word verif: "wkvisv" Sort of a Russian whiskey no doubt.

    By Blogger Ron, at Tue Aug 15, 09:50:00 am GMT-4  

  • Victoria, not one Spanish language station in your snapshot???!!!

    Que pasa chica?

    By Blogger Jose Aguirre, at Tue Aug 15, 10:12:00 am GMT-4  

  • Something funny happened to the youtube link because it's cut off...I was dying to see that heart-to-heart!

    I'm not sure if this helps but google is updating blogger: http://googlesystem.blogspot.com/2006/08/new-blogger.html

    Hmm, Brad Pitt on a bad day looks an awful lot like Benicio Del Toro.

    By Blogger Renato, at Tue Aug 15, 07:40:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Hey Victoria! Victoria???

    What's going one, where did you go this time?

    By Blogger Jose Aguirre, at Fri Aug 25, 04:54:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Intellectually, perhaps this is silly, but when Victoria goes away for a bit, I fear for the worst!

    Victoria, I hope all is well with you, and please, come back to us again soon!

    By Blogger Ron, at Sun Aug 27, 01:57:00 am GMT-4  

  • I hope you and the family are okay, Vicks. We miss you.

    Again! :(

    By Blogger benning, at Wed Aug 30, 08:49:00 pm GMT-4  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.