.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Heil Shoppers!

Just when I thought Germans were coming to terms with their recent past, on the heels of Bruno Ganz' Downfall, comes this hiccup in the road to redemption.

But first, àpropos to that, there is a German COMEDY about Adolf Hitler coming to cinemas near you. Yes, a comedy.

"Mein Führer: The Truly Truest Truth About Adolf Hitler"



God, I love life.

So safe in the knowledge that the yucks about Hilter were on their way soon enough, such was my surprise when I was reading Der Spiegel online earlier today.

Sigh.

No, Germans had not yet come to terms with their past. In fact, this reaction below was worthy of knee-jerk, ACLU addle-pated Americans, in the worst throes of politically correct mea culpas.

Here is the story about the rather special Saint Nicks on sale in a department store:

"Germans shopping for Christmas trinkets have been shocked recently to discover row upon row of Santa Clauses looking to all the world as if they are giving the Hitler salute -- right arm, straight as an arrow, raised skyward. Never mind that St. Nick is carrying a bag of toys and wearing a silly red hat complete with a white pom-pom.

Shoppers were sure -- these Santas were Nazis."



Come on, people. A Hitlergru Santa?

I've heard about searching for Commies under the bed, but Germans find Nazis under the Christmas tree...

Here's a word of advice to my ex-fellow-countrymen (I had to give up my German citizenship, when I reached my majority. Yeah, Germans are picky about that -- when aren't they?):

When you have a German Pope who is the spitting image of Santa, don't go imagining stuff that just ain't there.



Ho Ho Heil.

4 Comments:

  • I can just see Tim Allen as Hitler in the Americanized version of "Downfall." Here's the tagline from the poster:
    "One Santa. One Family. One Holiday."

    John Goodman as Goering? Steve Buscemi as Himmler? Faye Dunaway as Eva Braun?

    Let's get a big slug of those SturmSantas and shoot some famous scenes from Triumph of the Will and put them up on YouTube!

    By Blogger Ron, at Tue Dec 05, 09:42:00 am GMT-5  

  • Oh, now I know what that white smoke that elected the German pope is all about!

    Yipes!

    By Blogger Ron, at Tue Dec 05, 09:45:00 am GMT-5  

  • I can just see Tim Allen as Hitler in the Americanized version of "Downfall." Here's the tagline from the poster:
    "One Santa. One Family. One Holiday."


    You know, I love that voice-over guy's sonorous timbre. I can almost hear him saying that, Ron.

    John Goodman as Goering?

    LOL!

    Steve Buscemi as Himmler? Faye Dunaway as Eva Braun?

    Oh My God Yes.

    Let's get a big slug of those SturmSantas and shoot some famous scenes from Triumph of the Will and put them up on YouTube!

    Let's!

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Wed Dec 06, 04:22:00 am GMT-5  

  • Oh, now I know what that white smoke that elected the German pope is all about!

    Yipes!


    Ooh...you went there. Not sure I can follow, my dear Ron.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Wed Dec 06, 04:22:00 am GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.