.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Monday, October 09, 2006

Departures

Apologies for leaving my beloved Sundries readers in the blog lurch, but I have been rather busy.

Not all reasons for my absence, I admit sheepishly, are serious in nature.

In fact, I've been chillin' at the cinemahouse and in front of my DVD player, for yonks this week.

This is ultimately a good thing, because you'll get the eventual spoils of my moviegoing victories, in the form of blogged film reviews.

There's one coming up soon, which I am convinced, only I can write.

Or people like me.

Or people who want to be like me.

Or something. You'll see.

This weekend I saw, in order:

Riding Alone For Thousands of Miles

and

The Departed

The first is a lyrical journey of emotive healing and self-discovery as experienced by the actor known as "the Japanese Clint Eastwood".

If that doesn't get your attention, I don't know what will.

Go see it. It's fantastic.

The second was a little more ballyhooed since of course it marks Martin Scorcese's latest effort, after the rather lumberously slick, The Aviator.

How to describe The Departed to you?

If I had to, I'd say it was Good Will Hunting meets Hamlet...meets Serpico with a soupçon of Donnie Brasco.

No, don't worry -- I did like it.

The performances (including those from now Scorcese regulars, Leonardo di Caprio and Alec Baldwin) have a macho staccato delivery all of their own, that is genius and refreshing.

And under the generous belt of roles which Jack Nicholson has girded himself with, The Departed certainly proves that there is no one in Hollywood, who can embody the "un-PC nasty white customer" role, as enjoyably as he does.

Who can forget this nugget of progressive heart attack enducing dialogue, spoken in the same rapid-fire way as Frank Costello would, to a bewildered next-door (no doubt illegal alien) maid, in As Good As It Gets:

"Where do they teach you to talk like this? In some Panama City sailor wanna hump hump bar or is this getaway day, and your last shot at his whiskey. Sell crazy someplace else, we're all stocked up here."

I've been dining out on the phrase, "Panama City sailor wanna hump hump bar", for years now, although it's not so easy to slip it into conversation with your priest.

Of course, The Departed is at the root of things, a film about life choices, and how we all of us have what moderns call issues.

But at no time does this film seep into maudlin mode, the antithesis of the so-called, "chick flick".

By the way, I have recently taken to calling films like the delightful Friends with Money, chick flicks, where previously I had not acknowledged the term.

At some level, 'chick flick' is deeply reductionist and therefore, insulting, but don't worry; I have come up with a good tit-for-tat coinage.

From now on, I'm calling films like The Departed:

"Dick flicks"

It'll grow on you.

4 Comments:

  • I wonder if all aliteration --because it's snapppy!-- is reductist? I've heard no less an authority on this, Ms. Sandy Bullock her own bad self, refer to films made for the uterus-challenged as "dick flicks," so she's in your delightful company! (Gad, a sentence to rival Kant!)

    That Japanese film sounds excellent...

    By Blogger Ron, at Mon Oct 09, 01:54:00 pm GMT-4  

  • No. Actually it won't grow on me; however, as I am married, I have fair use privileges.

    By Blogger Ruth Anne Adams, at Mon Oct 09, 02:19:00 pm GMT-4  

  • I wonder if all aliteration --because it's snapppy!-- is reductist?

    That's part of the appeal, of course, plus the fact that it's un-PC.

    And as you know, I am ALLLLL over anything which is un-PC, retard that I am.

    I've heard no less an authority on this, Ms. Sandy Bullock her own bad self, refer to films made for the uterus-challenged as "dick flicks," so she's in your delightful company!

    Oh My God -- you mean I didn't think of it all by myself, FIRST?????

    It's like finding out that half of my bon-mots were said first by Dorothy Parker, all over again.

    (Gad, a sentence to rival Kant!)

    What a cant you are!

    That Japanese film sounds excellent...

    It's just up your alleyway, Ron, seriously.

    As a true film buff, the meeting of two venerable Far Asian cultures will pique your interest, and the stern, but tender result of the voyage.

    It's like Joy Luck Club on steroids.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Mon Oct 09, 05:47:00 pm GMT-4  

  • No. Actually it won't grow on me; however, as I am married, I have fair use privileges.

    Trust the lawyer to point that out!

    What Would Althouse Do?

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Mon Oct 09, 05:48:00 pm GMT-4  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.