.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Monday, October 09, 2006

Queues and Fries

Never mind 2006 being the Year of the Youtube, although kudos to the three geeks for getting a 1.6 billion dollar offer from it from the geeks at Google, allegedly.

2006 is also the year of the iPod.

Sure, it's been around for a few years now, and you can fault me for not having noticed their popularity -- until I became a happy owner some months ago.

But it was a scene at Best Buy this Sunday, that clinched this situation for me.

There I was, with my two cakes of blank DVD-Rs in my fully loaded arms, when I saw an elderly couple come up behind me.

Now, I don't know if you've ever been to a Best Buy, an experience not dissimilar to going to Tar-jay (or so I've been reliably informed), but there are about, ooh, I dunno, maybe 50 cashier booths, of which only 2 are ever opened.

Even on weekends.

The longest queues in this world, I am therefore convinced, are to be found at one's local DMV, and at Best Buy.

And if you're 5th in line, yahtzee!

You might as well pick up that copy of "X-Box Cheat Codes" that some tweenie conveniently left for you near the front -- you're gonna be waiting your turn for a verrry long time.

So Mr. and Mrs. Q-Tip America behind me were the entertainment equivalent of reading a Vogue as I waited. I was darn lucky to have 'em, too.

Their conversation went a little like this.

And please note, they were what used to be called in polite company, "crackers":

"Honey, I told you the 30 jiggabyte was better. Go git it."

"You believe whatever those boys tell you."

"Do you know how many copies of 'Blue Moon of Kentucky' are out there? You try fittin' in John Fogerty's version, let alone Ralph Stanley's. Go git it!".


(In my mind's eye, I imagine George and Laura Bush having the exact same conversation, since their accents were practically identical. Hey, she and Kinky Friedman are like this)

Hubby dutifully went back with the brand-new 2nd generation iPod in hand, and as I left, I saw them lugging the thing happily to the 1st cashier, since the second one had closed long ago.

-- We're in the 2nd generation, aren't we? I can't keep up and furthermore, I refuse to upgrade to that buggy iTunes 7.0, so iPoddistas out there beware --

Never mind that the couple had no clue how to pronounce Gigabytes, or that they were a bit hazy as to how many songs they could fit in the 30 Gigger.

I kept wondering if they had a great-grandchild who was going to fire up their computer, because there's no way these two knew about Google (or Youtube), let alone P2P programmes.

But...

All I know is, something has arrived when 80-something good ole boys and girls take notice of it.

When that something is almost 500 dollars, believe me, it's no fluke.

The fact that I have personally spent literally hours on eBay searching for cutesy accountrements for my various iPods (Nano, and ShuffleS, yes -- plural), only confirms this to me.

The iPod is probably one of the most dispensable indispensable items you can get.

Just hearing that little click sound as you scroll around hunting for Blue Grass Moonshine of Kentucky (whatever) on your iPod, makes you feel "in", and I daresay that's the reason this elderly couple joined their Social Security cheques, and ate cat food for a month, just to buy one.

Feeling a bit wan after waiting for almost 2 and a half hours in the queue (or so it seemed to me), I decided to head out to Burger King, though I'm a McDonald's girl through and through.

But the BK lounge was very close by, and I had been influenced by their 'Shroom and Cheese advert the other day, I decided to get me some, mm-hmm.

(Southern patois is very suggestible, isn't it?)

Of course, who do I see come in as I wait in the queue, again, but yes, our favourite new iPod owners, already fiddling with their new baby, trying to get music to come out of it.

Whatever hesitancy and awkwardness they had exhibited in the Best Buy was completely gone at the Burger King.

Here they were knowledgeable consumers, on sure footing with the items on sale.

Their guard relaxed, octogenarian hubby even allowed himself a small comeuppance to the treatment he had received in the Best Buy.

When their turn came up, the wife confusedly turned into MY queue, and started to order.

He tapped her on the shoulder and said,

"Hey genius. Harvard's this way."

This prompted a silvery laugh from me, and only to, seconds later, all three of us give a little jump in unison at the sign directly in front of the cashier.



The new FryPod. FRYPOD yet! I ask you.

No, actually, I tell you:

2006: the Year of the iPod.

You want fries with that?

7 Comments:

  • Yes, you download the "Grease" soundtrack and the Montivani String potatoes , and a-salt your gullet with the hottest tunes!

    all from iLard, of course!

    Perhaps a whole post on Trailer Park Life in Florida is in order!

    By Blogger Ron, at Mon Oct 09, 02:02:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Remember that you are allowed to substitute onion rings for fries [use their hot dipping sauce--kind of like a bloomin' onion, only BKing-ier] and you can even get a Icee Coke instead of a regular coke.

    Me? Don't care for their fries much.

    By Blogger Ruth Anne Adams, at Mon Oct 09, 02:14:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Yes, you download the "Grease" soundtrack and the Montivani String potatoes , and a-salt your gullet with the hottest tunes!

    Why does that make me suddenly quite hungry?

    all from iLard, of course!

    LOL! You know if I were Nigella Lawson, I'd call my podcasts that.

    Perhaps a whole post on Trailer Park Life in Florida is in order!

    I have rather a soft spot for Poh White Trash.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Mon Oct 09, 05:50:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Remember that you are allowed to substitute onion rings for fries [use their hot dipping sauce--kind of like a bloomin' onion, only BKing-ier] and you can even get a Icee Coke instead of a regular coke.

    Oh, now she tells me!

    Actually, you know, speaking of dipping sauce and fries, I love asking for the Chipotle sauce for my Wendy's fries.

    And I usually don't do spicey, but it gives a wonderful kick like a Missouri mule, that must be eaten to be believed. Mmm, mmm.

    Me? Don't care for their fries much.

    Yeah, what's up with that? They're all stringy and yucky-looking.

    I used to remember McDo's fries being much bigger and "floppier" too, but then the McLibel people scared them, and they are less greasy.

    BTW, I'm not much into fries as a rule.

    When I order the number 10 combo (fish sandwich meal), I eat a handful of fries, and give the rest to my mum.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Mon Oct 09, 05:53:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Itunes + classical cataloguing = nightmare.

    Also, I agree with this post (the Ipod part).

    By Blogger JSU, at Tue Oct 10, 02:58:00 am GMT-4  

  • Itunes + classical cataloguing = nightmare.

    Oh really? I have a Shuffle just devoted to classical stuff such as Dinu Lipatti and Byron Janis, since I may not be musical*, but I love piano.

    Also, I agree with this post (the Ipod part).

    *So if I'm not musical, why do I have an iPod, no, three iPods, right?

    That's where Ace has a point. We women have gone batsheet over iPods, probably because as a later commenter says, you can get pink one -- you try that with a Walkman.

    And yes, I have any number of pink silicone and metal "sleeves" for my babies.

    As to the whole breastfeeding portion of the post you quoted, I just read this and gagged:

    Formula is a last resort, for when there is no way to get the milk, or there is none. If a doctor does not tell you that, he or she is not being a great advocate for your baby.

    La Leche League is a little nutty, yeah, but they are right.


    I was a bottle baby.

    I appreciate and when I did my pediatrics rotation, I encouraged women to feed their younguns themselves, but give me a break.

    These people sound like PETA, only about breastessess.

    Must Liberals take the humour and artless pleasure out of every single human activity?? Sheesh.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Oct 10, 04:23:00 am GMT-4  

  • LOL. Verification:

    moodek.

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Oct 10, 04:23:00 am GMT-4  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.