.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Sunday, January 14, 2007

Golden Globes 2007 Cheatsheet

Here are my picks for the 2007 Golden Globes!



Best Motion Picture - Drama

NOMINEES

Babel
Anonymous Content Production/Una Producción De Zeta Film/Central Films Production; Paramount Pictures/Paramount Vantage

Bobby
Michel Litvak Productions/Bold Films; MGM/The Weinstein Company

The Departed
Warner Bros. Pictures

Little Children
New Line Cinema

The Queen
Granada; Miramax Films


WILL WIN: The Departed

SHOULD WIN: The Queen

WINNER: BABEL!! (7 out of 10! Not too shabby) I am not displeased since it showed the power of international cinema, at its best. Anyone who has seen the abysmal film, "One Day In Europe" knows that a multi-story pic with intersecting themes, is no mean feat to get right. Right, ladies and gents, I'm off to sleep, perchance to dream of my own Golden Globe one day. I'm a lock for Best Mouth Who Can't Shut Up And Doesn't Want To.


Best Motion Picture - Musical Or Comedy

The Devil Wears Prada
Twentieth Century Fox

Dreamgirls
DreamWorks Pictures/Paramount Pictures

Little Miss Sunshine
Big Beach/Bona Fide Productions; Fox Searchlight Pictures

Thank You For Smoking
Room 9 Entertainment/David O. Sacks Production/Contentfilm; Fox Searchlight Pictures



WILL WIN: Dreamgirls

SHOULD WIN: Thank You For Smoking


WINNER: Dreamgirls! Well done. If just to pre-empt another go 'round of poop, fart, and nad jokes from Baron Cohen. It broke Nicholson's heart. (6 out of 10, with 7 sorted, my son)


Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Drama

Leonardo DiCaprioBlood Diamond

Leonardo DiCaprioThe Departed

Peter O'TooleVenus

Will SmithThe Pursuit Of Happyness

Forest WhitakerThe Last King Of Scotland



WILL WIN: Leonardo Di Caprio (The Departed)

SHOULD WIN: Forest Whitaker


WINNER: Forest Whitaker!! Yes, upset baby, and totally deserved! I just hope that Forest hasn't blown his Oscar chances, because I doubt that anyone wants to slog through another of his totally tongue-tied acceptance speeches. Ah well. Well done, boyo! (7 out of 10, 9 defined)


Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama

Penélope CruzVolver

Judi DenchNotes On A Scandal

Maggie Gyllenhaalsherrybaby

Helen MirrenThe Queen

Kate WinsletLittle Children


WILL WIN: Helen Mirren

SHOULD WIN: Helen Mirren


WINNER: Helen Mirren! (7 out of 10, with 8 defined) She gave an almost unacceptably short acceptance speech, which she must polish for the 1 billion Oscar night viewers in March. Although she modestly thought that the audience had fallen in love with the real Queen, I can tell you, no Helen, we adored YOU FOR YOUR SAKE -- Heh. Which echoes the central theme of that film, of course.


Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture - Musical Or Comedy

Aaron EckhartThank You For Smoking

Chiwetel EjioforKinky Boots

Will FerrellStranger Than Fiction


WILL WIN: Sacha Baron Cohen

SHOULD WIN: Will Ferrell


WINNER: Sacha Baron Cohen. (5 out of 10, 6 defined) It was expected, and he's giving the crowd what they want -- jokes about Golden Globes, anuses and testicles, as well as buttocks and fart jokes. Perhaps I never went through this phase as a kid, but coprolalia has never been my colostomy bag...


Best Performance by an Actor In A Supporting Role in a Motion Picture

Ben AffleckHollywoodland

Eddie MurphyDreamgirls

Jack NicholsonThe Departed

Brad PittBabel

Mark WahlbergThe Departed


WILL WIN: Brad Pitt

SHOULD WIN: Eddie Murphy


WINNER: Eddie Murphy! (Still 2 out of 10, with 3 categories defined) Not too shabby. It seems that the Globes are big on Dreamgirls, and perhaps this will see them through to the Oscars. Eddie looked great in black on black, which is difficult to do, as Jamie Foxx can tell you. He has also sold his soul to the devil, because he hasn't aged a whit since his SNL days.


Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Musical or Comedy

Annette BeningRunning With Scissors

Toni ColletteLittle Miss Sunshine

Beyoncé KnowlesDreamgirls

Meryl StreepThe Devil Wears Prada

Renée ZellwegerMiss Potter


WILL WIN: Meryl Streep

SHOULD WIN: Meryl Streep


WINNER: Meryl Streep! (2 out of 10) Who else, but the most consummate actress of her generation (Gena Rowlands being the greatest American actress still alive). She is saying what everyone knows, that 2006 was an excellent year for 'gal' movies, and she's right. Great line: "I think I've worked with everyone in this room".

Best Performance by an Actress In A Supporting Role in a Motion Picture

Adriana BarrazaBabel

Cate BlanchettNotes On A Scandal

Emily BluntThe Devil Wears Prada

Jennifer HudsonDreamgirls

Rinko KikuchiBabel


WILL WIN: Jennifer Hudson

SHOULD WIN: Rinko Kikuchi


WINNER: Jennifer Hudson! (1 out of 10, so far) She gave a gracious speech, and her newly-toned physique and face looked very refined. Shame about Rinko, but not undeserved win by this ex-American Idol.


Best Director - Motion Picture

Clint EastwoodFlags Of Our Fathers

Clint EastwoodLetters From Iwo Jima

Stephen FrearsThe Queen

Alejandro IñárrituBabel

Martin ScorseseThe Departed



WILL WIN: Martin Scorsese

SHOULD WIN: Clint Eastwood (Letters From Iwo Jima)

WINNER: Marty! (4 out of 10, with 5 categories defined) Great stuff, though you all have to check out Infernal Affairs, which is even better than The Departed. Nevertheless, I think it was a stroke of genius to have situated this in Boston, with its Irish/Italian dynamic. I think Martin Scorsese will win the Oscar this year, too. Oops, Devils with Dirty Faces comment fell like a clump.


Best Foreign Languge Film

Apocalypto (United States)
Touchstone Pictures/Icon Productions; Buena Vista Pictures Distribution

Letters From Iwo Jima (Japan, United States)
Warner Bros. Pictures/DreamWorks Pictures; Warner Bros. Pictures

The Lives Of Others (Germany)
Wiedemann & Berg/Bayerischer Rundfunk/ARTE/Creado Film; Sony Pictures Classics

Pan's Labyrinth (Mexico)
Tequila Gang/Esperanto Filmoj/Estudios Picasso; Picturehouse

Volver (Spain)
El Deseo; Sony Pictures Classics


WILL WIN: Letters From Iwo Jima

SHOULD WIN: Pan's Labyrinth


WINNER: Letters From Iwo Jima! (3 out of 10, with 4 categories defined). I knew it. In fairness to what can be seen as this American win in a bizarre "Foreign" category, so far the Golden Globes has been a love-fest for Brits. Helen Mirren, Hugh Laurie, Bill Nighy, Emily Blunt, Jeremy Irons, and the poxy Peter Morgan with a Dubya allusion. I'm sad for Pan's Labyrinth, though. Still, good one Clint.



Here's the rest of the balloting.

For my money, this past year 2006 has been amongst the best years in recent times, for terrific pure acting. But as has been mentioned in my other film-centric posts -- it's been a very bad year for GREAT FILMS.

Two exceptions are Children of Men (not even nominated! A travesty), and Pan's Labyrinth, which has been shunted off to the Best Foreign Film category -- in fairness, that way it stands an excellent chance of winning, since Almodóvar has won before, and the votes might be divided enough between he and Eastwood.

I liked Leonardo Di Caprio in both Blood Diamond and The Departed, but his performance was middling at best compared to one of the finest performances by character actor, Forest Whitaker. I won't even mention Ryan Gosling in Half-Nelson, and Edward Norton in The Painted Veil, both of whom got shafted at the Globes this year.

Just about the only lock is Helen Mirren. Her performance was likewise, one for the ages.

Remember, the Academy are much more conservative than the Golden Globes, so anything can happen on the night.

Let's see how right or wrong I am, come Monday.

16 Comments:

  • OT: I just sent an email to you.

    By Blogger Ron, at Sun Jan 14, 09:26:00 am GMT-5  

  • OT: I just sent an email to you.

    Thanks for telling me on the blog, Ron!

    (As you know, I rarely check my emails...bad Vic. And no I haven't forgotten your Nietzsche DVD!)

    I'll read it ASAP, or when Da Bears-'Hawks game is over. ;)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sun Jan 14, 04:03:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Where is your email, babe? I checked victoriaspursqueen and sundriestips both, zipcus.

    Get me whilst I am still around!

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sun Jan 14, 06:40:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Victoria -- I sent it to victoriaspursqueen.

    Just in case, I just re-sent it.

    Ron

    By Blogger Ron, at Sun Jan 14, 08:13:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Victoria -- I sent it to victoriaspursqueen.

    Just in case, I just re-sent it.

    Ron


    Ron, nothing. :(

    I know you know, but are you sure you put 'co.uk' instead of .com? I even checked the spam folder, just in case!

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Mon Jan 15, 03:08:00 am GMT-5  

  • Vic, I used the email from your profile, without typing!

    Could you just send me an email and I'll reply to it with my note. It's kind of important.

    By Blogger Ron, at Mon Jan 15, 04:01:00 am GMT-5  

  • Could you just send me an email and I'll reply to it with my note. It's kind of important.

    You have ghey-mail.

    (I hope everything is okay...)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Mon Jan 15, 02:44:00 pm GMT-5  

  • You have ghey-mail.

    hmmm...if you sent something I haven't gotten it yet! Did you use the fabfish account?

    Na, the news, she ain't so good.

    By Blogger Ron, at Mon Jan 15, 03:24:00 pm GMT-5  

  • What! This is kweisi, as the NAACP president said.

    Either fabfish has been blocked, or yahoo has been blocked, from our respective emails.

    Let me try another...

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Mon Jan 15, 03:56:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Not sure what is going on, but Althouse's comments section for the Golden Globes, is down.

    Oh well. Maybe I broke it. :)

    (Ron will read soon!)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Mon Jan 15, 09:33:00 pm GMT-5  

  • "Ugly Betty", the gringo version of the famous Colombian soap, Betty La Fea, won for best TV comedy.

    I haven't seen such a reunited bunch of hysterial, out of control, jumping, yelling, busting up group of people since Saddam Hussein's hanging!

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Mon Jan 15, 09:36:00 pm GMT-5  

  • I just saw Pan's Labyrinth.

    For all the hype, I was expecting something actually visionary, not just Titanic without the boat.

    By Blogger JSU, at Mon Jan 15, 10:32:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Oh no you di'nt, JSU. :((

    Pan's Labyrinth was one of the most original films of last year. Almost everything has been done, done again, and done a third time.

    I mean Freedom Writers and The History Boys...WTF.

    Anyway, sorry you didn't like it. I missed you though.

    Where wuz ya?

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Mon Jan 15, 11:19:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Although I don't really care for awards shows, I wanted to see just how good a prognosticator you are and was suitably impressed.

    I didn't watch the show, but attempted to follow the live-blogging at Ann's and your comments there. Unfortunately, Blogger made live-blogging next to impossible. As it was, I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Thanks.

    The only thing I can add is: Really now, you thought Leo would outpoll Forrest Whittaker? Leo's vote was guaranteed to be split, but even then... Oh ye of little faith ;-)

    By Blogger Internet Ronin, at Mon Jan 15, 11:26:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Although I don't really care for awards shows, I wanted to see just how good a prognosticator you are and was suitably impressed.

    You haven't read my old Oscar posts, Internet Ronin!

    Real-time, and MASSIVELY wordy, as usual. ;)

    I didn't watch the show, but attempted to follow the live-blogging at Ann's and your comments there. Unfortunately, Blogger made live-blogging next to impossible. As it was, I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Thanks.

    I really am going to ask Ann if she could possibly suspend comment control for the Oscars. Yes, Blogger had a brainfart which caused problems.

    But I'm afraid it just didn't work with the substantial delay either. It is after all, time-sensitive.

    The only thing I can add is: Really now, you thought Leo would outpoll Forrest Whittaker? Leo's vote was guaranteed to be split, but even then... Oh ye of little faith ;-)

    True! :)

    Thanks for coming by, Internet Ronin. I'm off to beddy-byes. ;)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Mon Jan 15, 11:38:00 pm GMT-5  

  • I think we'll have to disagree on Pan's Labyrinth. While no story is completely novel, it was hugely disappointing to see the same old Hollywood story formula in chic Spanish clothing. (Now Marie Antoinette, that was refreshingly different.)

    "Where wuz ya?"

    In blogland? Under the weather. If you mean somewhere else, I'm not sure where you are besides here these days.

    By Blogger JSU, at Wed Jan 17, 07:06:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.