.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Tuesday, February 06, 2007

The Fresh Market

Unlike many cities, Miami doesn't necessarily have that one locale where to buy the freshest produce like in Paris' Les Halles, or the best fish like in London's Billingsgate market, or just a general culinary one-stop, with which to purchase one's expensive yummies.

Oh, certainly we have all these places, but a normal Miamian would be hard-pressed to point them out, unlike those above.

This also includes the newest locale for raw, organic comestibles, the Farmer's Market, located in both Coconut Grove and Coral Gables every Saturday.

I don't supppose more than half of our citizens know they exist, let alone buy there.

At the moment, if you go to the Farmer's Market(s), you're either an environmental activist; well-to-do and can afford the steep prices; or have pounced on it quite by happenstance on your way to somewhere else in the Grove, possibly News Cafe, nearby.

It's all very well to have organic foods, but sometimes you want to nosh on ready-to-eat stuff, or just find that perfect imported item, with which to grace your latest gathering.

Enter The Fresh Market.

Located along the winding Bayshore Drive road, which is the lifeblood of the (white) Grove, The Fresh Market hails from Greensboro, N.C. originally, the brainchild of Ray and Beverly Berry.

They later opened branches in Greenville, S.C., Tennessee, Georgia, Illinois, Ohio and Indiana. There are in total, to date, 47 stores around the United States, so perhaps if you're reading this, you know all about it already.

Of course, that's never stopped me from taking you on a personalised tour of anything in South Florida, now has it? And today is no different.

This travellogue is long in visuals, and short in text, which is highly unusual for Sundries.

But somehow, I think the pictures are so vibrant, the colours pop out so well, and are so self-explanatory, that they speak for both of us.

And what's more, they're good enough to eat. Mmm!


THE FRESH MARKET TRAVELLOGUE





Some of my favourite high-rise condos are located in Coconut Grove, though sometimes, they can be a dangerous place to live in due to the proximity to a depressed neighbourhood I blogged about, only last week.

Burglars know that these lovely places are filled with with the moneyed, and there has been more than one "Spiderman" cat-burglar, who got into even the top floors by virtue of his cunning, daring, and a rope, only.

Not too far away from these condos opposite the Fresh Market, is the Wyndham Grand Bay Hotel where Regine's used to have her latest Club Jimmyz back in the heady, coke-sniffing 1980s.

Regine left, the coke blew more-or-less away, but the money stayed.





And what is a poor rich person (or in my case, a rich poor person) to do, but to get his eats right here.

Oh, God. No parking as usual; it's super packed. Wait! There's one opening up, whew. I always get my spot.





Look at the rafters and size of this warehouse-cum-market. It's dazzling.

And I see Mrs. Chubette already eyeing the Valentine's Day bears on sale. I think her casual over-the-shoulders ensemble says, "relaxed but in love", don't you?





Supermarkets put these candies up front, in hopes you will compulse shop, but I tell you, I hate candy, so it's for naught with me.





Shhh, don't wake the baby by eating your nuggats too loudly!





Peanut brittle, and San Pellegrino...no, just no. Anyway, I was always a Perrier gal (and now Fiji water).





On Sunday these freshly-roasted coffee beans are put into vats, where you can then pick them up and crush them between your teeth, like the coffee taster explains.

This is not suggested for people whose teeth are not their own.





Cheese, Gromit lad, cheese! This is a sight for sore eyes, isn't it? You should see my cheeseboard at home.

And yes, they do have Wensleydale. I checked.





The beer selection leaves me cold (a little grocer humour for you). Seriously, where's the Belgian beer? No Chimay, no Duval? Oh, I do see some Stella Artois. Well, that's all right, then.





As an alcohol inbiber, I hover somewhere between Carrie Nation and Robert Parker. I don't have the blessed grape often, but I do appreciate French wines (exclusively).

My current favourite is Chateau Latour Pouillac, 2001, which mum says she bought here for Sunday's party.





Parties are all very well, but teas are da bomb!

Sweets in Miami tend to favour the ethnicities we have, such as the Cubans with their millefeuille type desserts, and flanes and pudíns de coco, which I love.

Also present, and delish, are the red velvet cakes for the Southern crackers, petit fours for the French, Sachertortes for the general Eurosnobs, canolis for the Italians, and I have no idea what we British are given.

Maybe that Oreo cookie something or another I see there, which looks inedible.





This certainly doesn't look inedible, or won't after a few hours in the oven.





You know, in America, housewives and househusbands just don't go to butchers anymore. It's a dying trade.

Frankly, I never liked butchers shops back home, but I can surely appreciate a nice rack of lamb when I see it.

I had to fight off that Jewish lady with the flat cap, to get it, though. She won this round, but tomorrow it belongs to me!





Have you ever met a person who didn't like seafood? Are you one such person? If so, you are weird.

I love fish, mussles, clams, and in fact, everything that comes from the sea. Just look at those jumbo shrimp! They are saying, eat me!

So I hear voices, what?





Our penultimate snap, in this dwindling travellogue, takes us to the fresh fruit juice counter.

You can't see it here, but they even have some Lhassi, that yoghurty drink from India that I miss so much from England. I'm sure that made sense.

Sadly, we have come to the end of our travellogue, and I leave you with this lasting, dazzling image of Miami's best indoor market, which my mother calls "high-end" (see 2nd post below).

It may well be...





...the loveliest photograph I've ever taken.

And quite possibly, the tastiest. Mmmm!

Labels: , ,

12 Comments:

  • You hate candy? Are you sure you're not Eddie Izzard? ;)

    San Pellegrino...I have so many good memories from my days as a cook about it...Plus, it's mighty cheap at Costco!

    Who would have thought the quality of American coffee would go up as much as it has? There are great roasters everywhere! If I could afford it I would love a Pasquini Livia 90 as my espresso machine...

    So many cheeses...so little time!

    Beer? Sam Smith's Taddy Porter for me! Or a good Black and Tan!

    If mum is buying that Latour Poulliac for your party at $429/bottle, please inform her that I am entirely adoptable, and would be delivered to her doorstep under a large cabbage leaf. Right, sis? :o

    You're right about that Oreo cookie thing; it looks like it's on a slab of cream cheese!

    Alas, I am one of those weirdos who doesn't like seafood, partially because I am allergic to a lot of it. I've never had clams, lobster, shrimp, mussels, oysters, you name it...

    Pretty, pretty peppers! Excellent picture, Victoria!

    Perhaps I will shoot a similar post about Zingermans or other foodie haunts around here. Thanks for the inspiration!

    By Blogger Ron, at Tue Feb 06, 04:23:00 am GMT-5  

  • Wonderful tour Vic! Great pictures! I have never been inside that place but I plan to go real soon! I will feel like a "normal" kid in a candy store!

    By Blogger Jose Aguirre, at Tue Feb 06, 10:06:00 am GMT-5  

  • Perhaps its Miami branch is better than the ones I've been to, but my experiences with this chain have been very, very disappointing.

    Wegman's would clean up if it opened in Florida.

    By Blogger JSU, at Tue Feb 06, 11:00:00 am GMT-5  

  • You hate candy? Are you sure you're not Eddie Izzard? ;)

    I hate Eddie Izzard too. :)

    I know, I know. I'm unlovable. What kind of a person doesn't like candies and Izzard?

    San Pellegrino...I have so many good memories from my days as a cook about it...Plus, it's mighty cheap at Costco!

    Costco! Wish I could shop there, but we just never have.

    Hmm, Costco travellogue?...nah.

    Who would have thought the quality of American coffee would go up as much as it has? There are great roasters everywhere! If I could afford it I would love a Pasquini Livia 90 as my espresso machine...

    I have never heard that! Good deal.
    I have a Gaggia Synchronicity, which I never use, because I'm scared to break it.

    So many cheeses...so little time!

    I was on the phone with Renato just now, and he knew by sight all the cheeses. Oh, there's the Pecorino, etc. etc.

    You could shove a Stilton down my blouse, and I still couldn't tell you what it was from say, a Roquefort.

    Beer? Sam Smith's Taddy Porter for me! Or a good Black and Tan!

    Sam Adams, please. :)

    If mum is buying that Latour Poulliac for your party at $429/bottle, please inform her that I am entirely adoptable, and would be delivered to her doorstep under a large cabbage leaf. Right, sis? :o

    Sure, bro! ;)

    Actually, I won't correct the post, but I read this to mum, and she said, no she got it at Epicure market, instead. And no way was it that expensive.

    You're right about that Oreo cookie thing; it looks like it's on a slab of cream cheese!

    Blech, Oreos...

    Did I tell you that I don't snack? I don't have the junk food habit, because I wasn't raised to. We were always having tea and bickies...

    Alas, I am one of those weirdos who doesn't like seafood, partially because I am allergic to a lot of it. I've never had clams, lobster, shrimp, mussels, oysters, you name it...

    That's different though. You have a genuine reason to dislike seafood.

    I'm talking of other weirdoes. ;)

    Pretty, pretty peppers! Excellent picture, Victoria!

    Thank you, Ron! I have it as my wallpaper as we speak. Change mines daily. :)

    Perhaps I will shoot a similar post about Zingermans or other foodie haunts around here. Thanks for the inspiration!

    I love it, please do. One of my dreams on Sundries has been to inspire a Carnival of the Travellogues, like what Instapundit is always linking to.

    So far, nada. :)

    P.S.: I abhor the word foodie though. It just irritates me.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Feb 06, 06:37:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Wonderful tour Vic! Great pictures! I have never been inside that place but I plan to go real soon! I will feel like a "normal" kid in a candy store!>

    Broder, que pasa contigo?

    You have never been to the Car Wash, to the Premier or to the Egyptian theatre in Davie, to Fresh Market...

    Are you sure we live in the same Miami?? ;)

    Anyway, you'll love it. Seriously.

    As I was telling Renato, it's not a toilet paper kind of supermarket -- shop for that kind of stuff at Publix or Winn Dixie.

    But go to the Fresh Market for your speciality goodies.

    Tienen un boliche preparado that's to die for!

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Feb 06, 06:44:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Perhaps its Miami branch is better than the ones I've been to, but my experiences with this chain have been very, very disappointing.

    Really?? Oh man.

    Of course, as you say JSU, it's all to do with the branch. I can imagine that up in the tri-state area there are OODLES of Fresh Market-types of gourmet grocery stores.

    (I also took pics of Epicure and Gardner's Market a while ago, which are in Miami Beach and Coral Gables, respectively, but I decided to do the Fresh Market, because it's so huge)

    Wegman's would clean up if it opened in Florida.

    Hmm, well I trust your judgement almost implicitly, but they would have to change what seems their trademark brick façade.

    Brick...very un-Miami.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Feb 06, 06:49:00 pm GMT-5  

  • but I read this to mum, and she said, no she got it at Epicure market, instead. And no way was it that expensive. I am unsure of what the normal price for that Latour is; I just followed the link you gave and that's what that place was selling it for!

    A Wine Ebay would interesting...

    By Blogger Ron, at Tue Feb 06, 08:46:00 pm GMT-5  

  • for your enjoyment:

    http://www.coffeegeek.com/reviews/commercial/pasquini_livia90

    By Blogger Ron, at Tue Feb 06, 08:53:00 pm GMT-5  

  • let's try again!

    http://www.coffeegeek.com/reviews/
    commercial/pasquini_livia90

    By Blogger Ron, at Tue Feb 06, 08:54:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Sweet, Ron! That looks amazing.

    But erm, $1,250.00??

    Who do you think you are kidding, Mr. Rockefeller -- adopt me! ;)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Wed Feb 07, 03:36:00 am GMT-5  

  • Who do you think you are kidding, Mr. Rockefeller -- adopt me! ;)


    Done! Come, my daughter, off to Dubai to discuss the bride price!


    Some people want Ferraris...but more people would be floored by the Pasquini! Plus, probably easier to shift...

    Amazingly, that's only a mid-price espresso maker! The high end is around $6-7K! Let's not go there...

    By Blogger Ron, at Wed Feb 07, 05:25:00 am GMT-5  

  • The Fresno version of this market is called "Whole Foods". It's a bit more pricey, but the presentation of the product is top rate. Oh, and the food is quite good too!

    By Blogger sonicfrog, at Wed Feb 07, 04:21:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.