.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Friday, April 06, 2007

The Most Colourful House In Miami

You might remember my most recent post on Miami home architecture, The Cutest Little House in Miami.

Well, I've decided to make this a regular feature on Sundries, since (a) I revel in architecture in general (perhaps having inherited that from my maternal grandpapa, who was an architect by profession), and (b) there is so much variety in houses here in South Florida, quite unlike my country, of the self-same, boring, semi-detached, brickwork homesteads.

To that end, I keep my eyes peeled for any local houses which might interest you in a blogpost.

And who knows. One day, if you live down here, I might just take a picture of your home, and won't you be surprised then!





Here is today's featured South Florida home.

For me, the perfect house has to have a circular driveway. Be located on the corner. Have a nice herbaceous border, instead of a picket fence. And lastly, it has to be remarkable architecturely, for any reason.

This house is smashing, in every respect.

Look at its vibrant ochre hue (I confess, I have a thing about deep ochre -- an Oxford affectation perhaps).

With its dainty Seville tiles framing the windows, and general Spanish colonial feel, this is a home George Merrick, Coral Gables' founder, would have been proud to grace his model city.

Like many old Miami homes, I believe it has a chimney -- which is probably used 2 weeks out of every year, usually between December 31 to January 15, but it does come in handy if its still in use (most aren't, of course).

Check out the solid iron weather vane, another special delight of mine, which I will make sure my future home has. I think it's a rooster, but perhaps it's a crow (sheesh, what bad luck if so!).

It even has a second floor, which is a rarity in these here parts. After all, we're only 14 feet above sea-level, and our bedrock doesn't like lumpy, two storey houses.

Those vines give it a very elegant feel though, but as everyone in Britain knows, ivy is a killer on plumbing and pipes.

But with such careful pruning of the borders, I can tell these homeowners won't let anything get too shabby, any time soon.

A close-up of my favourite part, those blue-tiled windows. Click on the photo, and you will see the scroll-work on the window reads, "1924"! Why, the University of Miami was founded in 1926, and its a stone's throw away from that.





Delicious.

Look how the ochre, the yellows of the marigolds, and the bougainvilleas overhang and blend in beautifully with the usual Florida green of everything else.

You know, sub-tropical climes like us are brutal even with hearty perennials.

In places like Rio de Janeiro, you never see a shot of colour anywhere, and have to content yourselves with the green of the trees and shrubs, only.

(There are other reasons for that, such as parks are concrete playgrounds there, because it costs too much to upkeep, and the homeless mistreat their surroundings too much in third-world countries...alas. One of the problems of South America, is that you can't prettify anything outside of the posher places, because it's soon ruined)

But we in Florida are luckier.

We have a gentle breeze which pollinates our flowers; a lovely warm clime which allows for a wide variety of flowers to grow, even temperate-loving roses; and the delights of year-round greenery -- though others may dislike that.

We don't get autumn and winter down here.

It's one perpetual hot spring day.

Those of you in New England may scoff and point to your Vermont autumn days, when houses and barns look as a pretty as a postcard.

But we in South Florida don't mind, as long as its April all year round.

As for this house, its colours melt into that deep blue Florida sky, don't you think? Ochre being the perfect foil for its robin's egg blue.

How I love this colourful house.

Labels: ,

6 Comments:

  • Nice house, reminds me of several that I see during my morning jog!

    By Blogger Jose Aguirre, at Fri Apr 06, 09:01:00 am GMT-4  

  • Thats a nice house with lush vegetation all around. It almost looks like you could disappear through the greenery if you walk on that sidewalk.

    How much does a house like that go for?

    By Blogger Renato, at Fri Apr 06, 11:50:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Nice house, reminds me of several that I see during my morning jog!

    Someone emailed saying it is actually in the South Miami neighbourhood, but I think that's surely a technicality.

    Just one block away is Coral Gables!

    And thanks for reminding me of you jogging, Jose.

    I make it a point to envision you at least once a week manly strutting about Coral Gables city hall in your choresicos!

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sat Apr 07, 05:44:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Thats a nice house with lush vegetation all around.

    I knew you'd like it. :)

    In Germany and other places, it would be called a villa, but in Miami, it's not even a manor -- just your ordinary middle-class home.

    It almost looks like you could disappear through the greenery if you walk on that sidewalk.

    Yes! That's especially what I love about it. Gardens do something to me...they calm the beast/harridan within.

    How much does a house like that go for?

    That house, in that area...U$800,000.

    If not more. I wish Robert were around, since he is good with real estate figures.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sat Apr 07, 05:52:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Nice, but I'd want more shade over the house, maybe some nice overhangs shading the windows.

    'Course I'd rather have a stone house, Colonial-style, but I like the one you found. At $800Gs it's just a wee bit outa my range!

    By Blogger benning, at Sat Apr 07, 08:25:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Nice, but I'd want more shade over the house, maybe some nice overhangs shading the windows.

    I'm guessing with the lush trees and bushes, they have less need of it.

    But it would be nicer, yes.

    We have "hurricane blinds" here that double with that purpose.

    'Course I'd rather have a stone house, Colonial-style,

    I love that! You have no idea how much.

    I have another photo primed for another post.

    but I like the one you found. At $800Gs it's just a wee bit outa my range!

    Mine too, booby. :)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sat Apr 07, 09:10:00 pm GMT-4  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.