.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Monday, October 13, 2008

McCain-Palin In Miami

Don't get too excited. It's not about a forthcoming rally (though I'm sure it'll happen), but rather about my excitement at seeing McCain-Palin yard signs around a very liberal part of Miami -- Coconut Grove.

You have no idea how much this marked me. You see, Coconut Grove is the Berkeley of Miami, or perhaps like Georgetown, in D.C. In fact, it's the equivalent of Hyde Park, the neighbourhood where Senator Obama lives in Chicago.

It's where the cosmopolitan, progressive, moneyed elite live.

Think of neighbourhoods around your town -- perhaps you live in the equivalent, but almost certainly you can think of a similar place there.

So I was driving around there earlier Sunday, and I have to say, it was one of those mouthwateringly gorgeous South Florida October days. Sunshine beating down (thankfully after a rainy Saturday), no clouds in sight, and just a wonderful, lazy vibe emanating from everyone.

Man, do we weekends well down here.

I had dropped my mother off at a friend's place in CocoPlum, and was headed back home when I almost screeched to a halt. No way!

"A gun owner in the Grove...with a McCain-Palin sign! Woot!", I was floored. I actually made a U-ee, and took a quick snap, hoping not to be rear-ended.



As I drove away, I had this eat-sheet grin on my face, and doubtlessly uncoming motorists must've wondered at the crazily happy lady driving by. I didn't care. If there was a McCain yard sign in the Grove -- do you know what this means?! All is not lost!

But God had another wonderful surprise in store for me.

Just a mile later, near Mercy Hospital, lo-and-behold, another McCain sign, this time in bumpersticker form. It was only when I had taken a shaky photo that I realise...oh my God, my cup runneth over, another Grove McCain-Palin yard sign at that exact moment.

Kismet!



To those of you who are wondering if that is our Florida tag, no it's not. In fact, I inched closer to see what speciality plate it was, as for some reason, we in Florida have LOADS of them.

Look at all our speciality tags. Most countries have a standardised version for the whole country, but Americans being such individualists, have all these State-issued plates to choose from. America RULES.

I got close enough to read it, as well as the other bumpersticker to the other side of the SUV. That one said, "Thank America's Veterans", and the plate? Well. It's the Army one.



Gun owners? Veterans? Oh yeah. McCain-Palin all the way, baby!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

  • Hey Victoria --

    Up here in the mountains of NC I have a hard time finding McCain yard signs. The local county Republican offices have been out both times I stopped by. The largest county Republican HQ also had none.

    The irony is I don't see very many signs in the yards.

    We put out a Republican governor yard sign on our little private road (silly, I know) figuring it would communicate something about were we stand. And today it was gone. The guys (& gals) at the RHQ said they have been giving out duplicates to people who have had their signs lifted.

    I know the Republicans are not blame free, but we had this happen in the last election in a different neighborhood.

    So I have bumperstickers on all the vehicles.... They are all old, so a keying won't be the end of the world. ;-)

    As you say -- cheers -- and thanks for tracking Sarah for me!

    By Blogger JAL, at Mon Oct 13, 01:17:00 am GMT-4  

  • Another thing -- we have Jewsih friends in Palm Coast and they and most of their families are going McCain-Palin.

    Obama is too much of a cipher, and they hear him saying whatever he thinks people want to hear.

    By Blogger JAL, at Mon Oct 13, 01:20:00 am GMT-4  

  • So you admit that the "cosmopolitan, progressive, moneyed elite" are incompatible with the Repugnicans? That's what I always thought... sigh...

    Vicks, I wish you all the best (I don't pray, because gods don't exist). Please take care of yourself and get back. I really miss you, this political crap doesn't really behoove you.

    Cheers and best wishes,
    Elko

    By Blogger El Kot, at Mon Oct 13, 01:31:00 am GMT-4  

  • Hey there, JAL! Thanks for all your commments these past weeks. :)

    Up here in the mountains of NC I have a hard time finding McCain yard signs.

    I agree. It's the same down here. That's why these two stood out so much given the locale especially.

    The local county Republican offices have been out both times I stopped by. The largest county Republican HQ also had none.

    Man, that sucks. Unfortunately, I live in a condo, and we're not allowed to festoon our balconies with any signage. As it is, I incur the wrath of our (French) condo Preznit whenever England are playing in a tournament -- huge Union Flag draped over the balcony, you see. :)

    Other than that, Old Glory all the way for me.

    The irony is I don't see very many signs in the yards.

    Can you wonder? People are scared of the racism charge. All it takes is one or two nutty Obots throwing Molotov cocktails in your yard, and you got problems.

    Funny how that rarely gets reported nationally, eh?

    We put out a Republican governor yard sign on our little private road (silly, I know) figuring it would communicate something about were we stand. And today it was gone. The guys (& gals) at the RHQ said they have been giving out duplicates to people who have had their signs lifted.

    Sigh. Do not be intimidated, though, JAL! There are idiots everywhere, but perserverence will out.

    I know the Republicans are not blame free, but we had this happen in the last election in a different neighborhood.

    No, it's the same down here. I've heard of at least 2 cars being spraypainted with "Obama Biden" on a McCain bumperstickered car.

    So I have bumperstickers on all the vehicles.... They are all old, so a keying won't be the end of the world. ;-)

    You're lucky. I'm too scared because I have a brand-new car. But I do walk around in my Mac-Pal t-shirt.

    As you say -- cheers -- and thanks for tracking Sarah for me!

    You bet! Thanks for visiting and commenting! :)

    As for the Jewish friends, none of my mother's (and I do mean none) are voting for Obama. That squiffy answer he gave about Jerusalem sealed the deal.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Mon Oct 13, 01:39:00 am GMT-4  

  • So you admit that the "cosmopolitan, progressive, moneyed elite" are incompatible with the Repugnicans? That's what I always thought... sigh...

    No, darling Elko, it's not that. :)

    You're taking each individually, whereas I am making a blanket statement about one such group of progressives.

    The other cosmopolitan, moneyed CONSERVATIVES live in nearby Coral Gables.

    Coconut Grove is a different animal, entirely.

    Vicks, I wish you all the best (I don't pray, because gods don't exist). Please take care of yourself and get back. I really miss you, this political crap doesn't really behoove you.

    Thank you, Elko. I appreciate your good wishes, believe me. Let us meet again in more convivial circumstances in the coming months. :)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Mon Oct 13, 01:42:00 am GMT-4  

  • Victoria is of course correct. Coconut Grove is pretty liberal, and voted massively for Clinton in the 1990s. I was there, I remember.

    By Blogger ElcubanitoKC, at Mon Oct 13, 11:46:00 am GMT-4  

  • Hiya Victoria -

    As I traversed the midwest this weekend (Wisconsin to Iowa), I went to look at color (across the Mississippi) and to head to a dog show in Mason City, Iowa.

    First of all, the further west I went, the cheaper gas got. When I was in Mason City, gas was $2.60/gal!! Considering I have a 1-ton van and filling it for $70 vs. $120 was a huge economic boon to me!! I could not believe how many people were in line for this gas!!

    Anyhow, the past couple weeks, I have noticed in Wisconsin and in Iowa, many, many signs in farm fields for McCain-Palin. I see more for them than the other side.

    And, if anyone watched Tom Brokaw's Meet the Press yesterday, Erin Burnett was on. One question Tom asked all in attendance was, do you see an October surprise? Erin answered, "yes" but she qualified it by saying that it could be something positive.

    I saved $50 on gas this weekend.

    Yes...there is a silver lining in some of this economic downturn, but I think it's the market working itself out.

    So, if Sarah is smiling on Monday, I am, too!!

    Peggy DaValt

    By Blogger Peggy Gero DaValt, at Mon Oct 13, 04:03:00 pm GMT-4  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.