.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

An Epiphany In Silver Bluff

A rather religious day on Sundries continues, as I remind everyone today is Epiphany (and Los Dias de los Reyes in Spain, when all kids receive presents in honour of the Magis' gifts to baby Jesus).

Since the 5th of January marks my beloved maternal grandmother's death anniversary, I normally go to church two days running this time of the year.

And as in most churches around America, Miami's Roman Catholic churches still have their outdoor cribs very much in evidence.





I went inside the church, attended the Mass said in my Oma's name, and then as we were heading back -- what do we encounter coming out of one of the modest homes around the area?

A brand-new yellow Lamborghini Murcielago.

Sure, in South Beach they are a dime-a-dozen, and I don't even blink anymore. But not in Silver Bluff!

The Reyes must've been especially generous to a lucky someone this year. Just as my grandmother was unbelievably generous to me the whole of my life.

So in her name, I wish you all a very blessed Epiphany.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

  • ..Los Dias de los Reyes in Spain, when all kids receive presents in honour of the Magis' gifts to baby Jesus

    In Holland, kids receive presents on December 5th from Sinterklaas, which is St Nicholas Day, and which is also my wedding anniversary.

    My wife had one of those beloved old world Oma's-I got to meet her only once-in Holland-when she was pretty far gone with Alzheimers. I did have a wonderful grandmother of my own though, back in Wisconsin--here's to all of them!

    By Blogger chickenlittle, at Tue Jan 06, 01:37:00 am GMT-5  

  • Grandmas -- proof positive God loves children.

    God bless them all, indeed, Chickenlittle. :)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Jan 06, 01:42:00 am GMT-5  

  • BTW, in my family we put up our Christmas tree on Sankt Nikolaus' Day, and take it down in Epiphany.

    It bookends the holidays beautifully. :)

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Jan 06, 01:43:00 am GMT-5  

  • Ruth's and my mom, was born on January 6. She was due on Christmas, but was born on Epiphany.

    We, too, as children always put up the tree on Christmas Eve....boy we were slow, and Mom always kept it up at least 12 days.

    Sometimes traditions are hard to get away from.

    Peggy :)

    By Blogger Peggy Gero DaValt, at Wed Jan 07, 11:58:00 am GMT-5  

  • The day is a holiday in the Catholic regions in Germany, Bavaria and Baden-Württemberg. And Saxony-Anhalt. Strangely enough...

    By Anonymous madcynic, at Wed Jan 07, 04:02:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.