.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

...a sweatshop of moxie

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Everything You Needed To Know About Portuguese Water Dogs

Thankfully, we weren't afraid to ask the resident dog breeder extraordinaire, Peggy Gero DaValt. Here is her delightful reply, full of insight and tips, as usual. I just hope President Obama and family read it one day!

"The Portugese Water Dog is an excellent choice.

Here are my reasons:

(1) It is a purebred dog. It's not a designer dog.

As a purebred dog owner and breeder, so much time and effort goes into genetic research/pedigree preparation/public education. It is pure.

Most purebreds are registered by the American Kennel Club or the United Kennel Club.

Naysayers will say, but there are so many dogs that need homes.

This is true and I applaud anyone that rescues a homeless dog...but a shelter dog got there because people did not spay or neuter dogs that were not intended to be bred.

A designer dog, such as the GoldenDoodle is a Mixed Breed dog. It's a very expensive Mixed Breed dog. I will bet you that people pay more for a GoldenDoodle than they would for one of my purebred Gordons.

A GoldenDoodle has a parent that is a Golden Retriever and a Poodle (most likely a Standard Poodle). So, when you combine those two breeds you have a Mixed Breed dog. You also have a dog that has the potential for health issues associated with the Goldens and/or Poodles or a combination of both. So rather than having just one set of health issues for one breed to contend with, you've opened up Pandora's genetic box by combining two different breeds.

(2) The Obamas made it clear that they need a dog that sheds little if any due to child allergies. I think this dog is a wise choice.

When I suggest to people a type or breed of dog to purchase, you need to take into account: trainability/life style/commitment to the dog.

Any dog in the sporting/working/herding groups produce dogs that are meant to work with man.

As a member of the Working Group, the Portugese Water Dog is no exception. It is a moderate sized dog and with the lifestyle of the President and his family, I think this is a great selection.

They are good with kids and they will be content playing with the Obama girls and who knows may even accompany the President on a jog or two as the puppy matures and his growth plates have closed.

(3) I had some very good breeder/handler friends who raised "Porties" and I loved them and their dogs. Judy died last February and Bruce died about 7 months later. When I see a "Portie" I will always think of them. There are also some great breeders in the Chicago area that I know, too.

For more information I would suggest these web sites:

American Kennel Club - Portguese Water Dog Standard

Portugese Water Dog Club of America Website

Quiz - How Much Do You Know about a PWD? This is from the Portugese Water Dog Club's web site. Have fun!!

Each breed of dog in the AKC has a standard that the parent club has put together with what they see as the "perfect" dog for that breed. Each breed has a standard to which it is judged/evaluated. As a breeder, we know there is no such thing as a "perfect" dog, but it's the standard to which we strive to improve our lines upon generation after generation.

Thanks, Victoria, for asking for my opinion. I hope that I haven't offended anyone and have offered valuable educational information about this breed and dogs in general.

Peggy :)"

...no, Peggy. Thank you. You are a hidden ace up the Sundries sleeve, and I am very grateful to you for taking the time to compose this for the readership!

Labels: ,


  • Our older dog, Dixie, is a mutt and we think she's got some Port Water Dog in her. We've never investigated it, but anytime I see someone walking one I have to ask questions about the breed.
    This was cool, thanks!

    By Blogger ron st.amant, at Thu Feb 26, 12:44:00 am GMT-5  

  • Here's a link to my Flickr with a picture of Dixie...tell me what you think..do you see a little Portuguese Water Dog at all??


    By Blogger ron st.amant, at Thu Feb 26, 12:57:00 am GMT-5  

  • It may not be related genetically to the poodle, but it still looks like a glorified one.

    By Blogger ElcubanitoKC, at Thu Feb 26, 10:18:00 am GMT-5  

  • Thank you so much Victoria for your very kind comments about my post. I'm pleased and honored to educate people about dogs; any and all breeds. Just ask!! :-) Someday it is my ultimate goal to judge at Westminster.

    @Ron - I'm not sure if your dog has any PWD in it, my guess is Poodle of some sort. I believe that there are genetic testing facilities (VetGen comes to mind) that can do a DNA test for you to determine lineage.

    @ElucbanitoKC - I suspect that all dogs are related....somewhere down the line. The Poodle (Standard) is actually a retrieving dog and as such is often found in the Gundog group in UKC shows and I believe at Crufts. They are magnificient working dogs. A PWD is much the same.

    As a breeder, I try to not only breed beautiful and healthy Gordons, but ones that can do what they were bred for and that is hunting. That's why I always urge people to get a dog that was bred to work with and for man. Those animals tend to be much more biddable and easy to train.

    Thanks everyone and if the President did see my post, I'd probably pass out. When I was in Jr. High, I did write to President Nixon and he (or his staff) sent me a photo of him and King Tim. I need to find that....I bet Mom has it...*grin*

    Take care!!

    Peggy :)

    By Blogger Peggy Gero DaValt, at Thu Feb 26, 11:45:00 am GMT-5  

  • Mrs. Obama says
    "One of the things I didn't anticipate is the level of the excitement about the dog. I knew my kids were excited. They've been excited for years.

    For years. What a phucking phony.

    I'm sure that whatever dog is selected it will be shunted off to a relative or minion as was Socks* the cat when the Obamas no longer require the photo op.

    [Actually a very lucky break for Socks as he was much loved by Betty and Bob Curie.]

    By Blogger BJM, at Thu Feb 26, 01:11:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Soooo...when this dog uses the White House carpet to do its business, should we rename the carpet the Portie potty?

    By Blogger Ruth Anne Adams, at Thu Feb 26, 04:02:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Ron: I'm no expert, but I see Schnauzer written all over Dixie's face.

    By Blogger Ruth Anne Adams, at Thu Feb 26, 04:04:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Ruth - your pun is so perfect!! I'm laughing....

    Peggy :)

    By Blogger Peggy Gero DaValt, at Thu Feb 26, 05:10:00 pm GMT-5  

  • This comment has been removed by the author.

    By Blogger Peggy Gero DaValt, at Thu Feb 26, 05:11:00 pm GMT-5  

  • I thought the big O said he wanted a mutt?

    Me, I don't care. I don't have a problem with purebreds, but then, I never said I was going to get a mutt to the entire world, either. Aren't liberals the ones who think hypocrisy is the worst of, heck, the only sin?

    I'm picking up our Lynxpoint Siamese kittens tomorrow from the purebred rescue people. Can't wait! We've been too long catless. (At least we didn't have to have a house inspection like I had to have in Miami where the crazy cat lady asked where the cats would sleep and eat.)

    By Blogger class-factotum, at Thu Feb 26, 09:27:00 pm GMT-5  

  • I thought the big O said he wanted a mutt?

    He did, but went on to say the dog, whatever they got, had to be the kind that didn't bring on his daughter's allergies.

    By Blogger Beau, at Fri Feb 27, 07:33:00 pm GMT-5  

  • I have been in search of such interesting Articles, I am on a holiday its good to see that everyone are trying their best to keep up the Spirit by having such great articles posted.

    Cheers, Keep it up.___________________
    We do your Marketing for best sales

    By Blogger victor, at Thu Aug 13, 05:10:00 am GMT-4  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.