.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Saturday, February 21, 2009

HBO -- One Step Forward, Two Backwards

As you know, HBO just transmitted a Sundance selected film about a Marine's coming home, after having been killed in action in Iraq. "Taking Chances" was exceptional because without in the least being pro-Iraq, it gave a person's life sacrifice its due without editorialising.

That is unusual not only for HBO, but for the current movie industry in general.

But just when you thought HBO would leave the topic alone for a while, its cable subscribers like myself are about to be treated to Will Ferrell's one-man Broadway show about the outgoing President Bush.



"You're Welcome America - A Final Night with President Bush" will be televised live from its Broadway stage, so you too can enjoy seeing a large penis of George W. Bush being superimposed on the screen.

That was the scene which prompted many first-nighters to leave and ask for their money back.

Gee, I can't wait.

It's nice to know HBO is looking out for the little people's interests, those of us stuck in the boonies who would otherwise miss out laughing with the sophisticates in New York City.

Set your TiVo for March 14th at 9 PM.

Labels: , ,

6 Comments:

  • the sophisticates in New York City

    Heh. Only if "sophisticates" means "narrow-minded in their own special way".

    Semi-OT: Its been a while, but I've been to NYC a number of times and I always wondered how a city that smells like urine baked in car exhaust can be considered the greatest city ever in the history of mankind.

    By Anonymous Starless, at Sat Feb 21, 10:21:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Phew! I'm glad I didn't make the hurried, emotional decision to switch back to HBO when I read about "Taking Chance" on here last night!

    By Blogger Laurie, at Sat Feb 21, 11:16:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Heh. Only if "sophisticates" means "narrow-minded in their own special way".

    Well, see that's the beauty of my phrase -- it's filled with irony at their mindset. ;)

    As for NYC, I love it. It's the only place on earth that I don't feel that I can conquer the moment I arrive. Paris, Rio, Milan, Tokyo, never mind London, none of them have that effect on me.

    And for that, I must tip my hat to it.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sun Feb 22, 01:48:00 am GMT-5  

  • Phew! I'm glad I didn't make the hurried, emotional decision to switch back to HBO when I read about "Taking Chance" on here last night!

    Laurie, dude, I've been scouring the 'net to get you at least a rapidshare version. Nothing yet. Keep checking back, as I am sure I'll find one.

    Oh and I thought exactly about you when I saw the Ferrell advert. Thank God you didn't give them your hard-earned money.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sun Feb 22, 01:50:00 am GMT-5  

  • As for NYC, I love it.

    NYC is great--great culture, great food, lots of money. You don't get to call yourself the "greatest" when you smell that way, though. (I may suffer from unreasonable expectations. One of the first things out-of-town visitors and returning ex-pats usually say about the Twin Cities is, "It's so clean".)

    By Anonymous Starless, at Sun Feb 22, 08:10:00 am GMT-5  

  • This production puts me in mind of "The Daily Show"... if there's any laughter it's got to be that clapter stuff Tina Fey talked about. You would think liberals would be overdosed on the monolithic shoving-down-the-throat of Bush-bashing and Obama-worshipping. Guess not!

    By Blogger knox, at Sun Feb 22, 10:06:00 am GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.