To Slot or not to Slot
Tomorrow, I am doing my civic duty as a newly-minted Yank and Clerking a precinct during a special local election, my second such tour after the nightmarishly hectic Presidential Election this past November.
Fortunately, this Tuesday the only item on the ballot is:
"Shall slot machines be allowed in authorized pari-mutuel facilities in Miami-Dade County, with any taxes that the Florida legislature may impose on slot machine revenues being spent to supplement public education funding statewide as required by law?"
Seems a lot of fuss and bother for a few fruit machines, don't you think?
So for those interested in a behind-the-scenes look at the drudgery of polling stations, I shall be blogging about my experiences as Clerk tomorrow, God and my tired feet willing.
I have been assigned to a predominantly black precinct, which for a plummy-sounding English girl in a fancy-schmancy German car, dressed to the nines, with a "I'd rather be in St. Moritz" bumpersticker, promises much in the way of excitement.
If Michael Moore knew about this, he'd be appalled.
Fortunately, this Tuesday the only item on the ballot is:
"Shall slot machines be allowed in authorized pari-mutuel facilities in Miami-Dade County, with any taxes that the Florida legislature may impose on slot machine revenues being spent to supplement public education funding statewide as required by law?"
Seems a lot of fuss and bother for a few fruit machines, don't you think?
So for those interested in a behind-the-scenes look at the drudgery of polling stations, I shall be blogging about my experiences as Clerk tomorrow, God and my tired feet willing.
I have been assigned to a predominantly black precinct, which for a plummy-sounding English girl in a fancy-schmancy German car, dressed to the nines, with a "I'd rather be in St. Moritz" bumpersticker, promises much in the way of excitement.
If Michael Moore knew about this, he'd be appalled.








0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home