.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

...a sweatshop of moxie

Monday, March 07, 2005

To Slot or not to Slot

Tomorrow, I am doing my civic duty as a newly-minted Yank and Clerking a precinct during a special local election, my second such tour after the nightmarishly hectic Presidential Election this past November.

Fortunately, this Tuesday the only item on the ballot is:

"Shall slot machines be allowed in authorized pari-mutuel facilities in Miami-Dade County, with any taxes that the Florida legislature may impose on slot machine revenues being spent to supplement public education funding statewide as required by law?"

Seems a lot of fuss and bother for a few fruit machines, don't you think?

So for those interested in a behind-the-scenes look at the drudgery of polling stations, I shall be blogging about my experiences as Clerk tomorrow, God and my tired feet willing.

I have been assigned to a predominantly black precinct, which for a plummy-sounding English girl in a fancy-schmancy German car, dressed to the nines, with a "I'd rather be in St. Moritz" bumpersticker, promises much in the way of excitement.

If Michael Moore knew about this, he'd be appalled.


Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.