.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Sunday, April 03, 2005

Tea for the Pope

It does seem like I'm stuck in a Pope-groove, as it were, but we do live in interesting times these days. And coincidental times, at that.

Yesterday, my mother surprised me for my hard-work this weekend, by giving me a present -- my much sought-after Fruit Extractor, which I always thought was called a "juicer". But no, the correct term is extractor. Nomenclatura obsit!

Since I had bought myself a fruit book, Heinerman's Encyclopaedia of Juices, Teas & Tonics, in anticipation of this purchase, I was flicking through the pages only to find myself reading this bit, in wide-eyed astonishment. It was about an age-old recipe for a tonic, made for a Pope!

"It concerned a recipe devised by one Vatican doctor for Pope Felix IV, who presided over the church from July 526 AD to 530 AD. The document [...] told about this particular Pope being subject to night sweats during a bout with fever. Different remedies were tried by several attending physicians, but nothing seemed to work."

So that's when one particularly savvy of this platoon of docs invented this herbal formula, listed for your pleasure below.

TEA FOR THE POPE

1 3/4 pints of water
1 handful sage leaves
1/2 handful rosemary leaves
1/2 handful boneset

Boil the water. Add the sage and rosemary first. Cover and simmer over low heat for 3 minutes. Uncover and add boneset; cover again and set aside to steep until cold. Strain and drink 2 cups every 4-6 hours until perspiration ceases.


So now you know -- with this papal tizane to hand, you'll never have night sweats again. What a relief.

1 Comments:

  • I don't have your email with me at the office, so I'm sending you this through here. I thought you'd like it:

    http://books.guardian.co.uk/review/story/0,12084,1449513,00.html

    cheers,
    p.

    By Blogger patricio lopez, at Tue Apr 05, 04:01:00 pm GMT-4  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.