.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Thursday, August 18, 2005

Back in "Pope" Mode

My more defenceless secular readers will be depressed to hear that I am going back on Pope-mode these next few days.

As promised during the long, and for millions of Catholics around the world, very eventful days of April 2005, my Catholic side took over my blog, as I reported my thoughts during the passing of John Paul II and the election of his successor, Benedict XVI.

But just as I was able to, I reverted back to my quirky, and multi-themed blogposts so beloved by you all (right? Don't leave me hangin').

But an event too wonderful interrupts my usual sweatshop of moxie, as World Youth Day bookended by Benedict XVI's visit coincides with this phantasmagorically, über-Catholic celebration of youth and religion.

World Youth Day, Cologne, 16-21 August 2005

Think Lollapalooza with lots of incense and no annoying Fiona Apple songs.



I believe the Pope himself will be visible to the future of the Church in Germany's gayest city (pace Berlin) on Sunday, 21 August.

That I wouldn't miss for the world.

Oh, also, I just got a copy I had on hold from my local public library of Papa Ratzi's memoirs, Milestones: 1927-1977.

I was 121st in the queue since April with only 10 copies available -- after the library had to up their holdings since so many people complained that there was only one copy of this fascinating self-portrait of the new Pope.

I will of course be blogging a review soon, after I just sort out my recent travails (see below).

So far, though, you'll be happy to hear the book is the best autobiography that I've read this year, managing honesty and acute self-knowledge in equal doses, since Barak Obama's exquisite autobiography, Dreams from My Father.

4 Comments:

  • Why does "World Youth Day" last six days?

    By Blogger Jim, at Thu Aug 18, 01:41:00 pm GMT-4  

  • A very good question.

    Almost along the lines of "Why do men have nipples?", only with much less need for being drunk when asking it.

    Now, onto your question, Jim:

    World Youth Day lasts 6 days because it's in honour of the 6 days God took to make the world. On the 7th of course, he rested.

    So you see, Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was Brooklyn.

    We cannot expect less for a wild, alcoholess youth-carnival, now can we?

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Thu Aug 18, 07:46:00 pm GMT-4  

  • butbutbut you didn't answer the question. Why not "World Youth Days", or "World Youth Most of a Week"?

    By Blogger Jim, at Thu Aug 18, 09:59:00 pm GMT-4  

  • What are you, some kind of literal Lutheran?? Ick!

    I think the answer can be summed up by tradition, which later became so entrenched, the Catholic Church decided not to change it.

    Originally, back in the 80s when the first World Youth Day began, it was only a Day. :)

    See? Good. Maybe.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Fri Aug 19, 12:21:00 am GMT-4  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.