.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Saturday, December 24, 2005

King Tut In SoFla

He's heeeeeeeere.



The much awaited King Tutankhamum (spell it any way you like!) exhibit at the Museum of Art in Ft. Lauderdale has finally opened, 15 December 2005.

Ever since the Princess Diana exhibit last year, in the same venue, South Florida has been a-tizzy with excitement about the King Tut tour around the US, finally landing here in the Sunshine State with a loud report of gala parties and gliterati sightings.

Governor Jeb Bush was apparently on hand for the gala celebrations to launch the exhibit up in Broward County, and I can imagine the local celebs who might've attended, from gossip queen Tara Solomon to the Fanjul brothers in nearby Palm Beach.

This suits me just fine.

I have already determined that 2006 will see a more sociable Victoria on the scene, just like I used to be, before entering Medical School.

(Until I restart it again in August 2006, that is)

And I adore the story of Howard Carter and the "Curse of King Tut", which boils down to a mosquito bite gone terribly, terribly wrong.

The tour began in LA in July of 2005, and will end up in Philly on January, 2007.

- Museum of Art, Fort Lauderdale: December 2005

- The Field Museum, Chicago: May 2006

- The Franklin Institute, Philadelphia, January 2007


And of course, I'll be there blogging via the WiFi of the overpriced museum cafe (aren't they all), so you can be assured of a good thumping yarn at the end of it.

Now, can you help me to choose the right opera to attend, after a 2 year absence from the Florida Grand Opera?

Donizetti THE DAUGHTER OF THE REGIMENT Jan 7 - 28

Rossini THE BARBER OF SEVILLE Feb 11 - Mar 4

Verdi RIGOLETTO Mar 18 - Apr 8

Bizet CARMEN Apr 22 - May 14

I've seen each opera at least once, so don't be shy about suggesting one over the other.

Carmen is a given, obviously. That Israeli mezzo looks a treat.

Heh.

If that blogfather of mine, JSU, isn't careful, he'll be blogging about Panettone, and I'll be blogging about opera.

I think he got the better of that deal.

6 Comments:

  • Ah, now, what do I see? Santa's bought a blogad for me?

    Now that's a Christmas present.

    Incidentally, the "Israeli mezzo" you mention has a blog, though considering recent blogging-singer worries perhaps I shouldn't publicize it.

    Oh, and my advice? Rigoletto. Plus whatever else strikes you.

    By Blogger JSU, at Sat Dec 24, 06:34:00 am GMT-5  

  • I would vote for Rigoletto, but only because I haven't seen it before and Leah Hunt will be performing.

    Happy Holidays and a Feliz Navidad too!

    By Blogger Robert, at Sat Dec 24, 10:00:00 am GMT-5  

  • King Tut's treasures are certainly impressive, but what really impresses a man like me is the size of that woman's HANDS in your profile portrait...Is that a RembrHAND?

    Truly impressed!
    VL

    By Blogger vergelimbo, at Sun Dec 25, 02:20:00 am GMT-5  

  • Ah, now, what do I see? Santa's bought a blogad for me?

    For 3 months. :)

    Now that's a Christmas present.

    To think, if I had given you one in person, it might've been a tie.

    (A very nice tie, a Charvet even, but still a tie)

    Incidentally, the "Israeli mezzo" you mention has a blog, though considering recent blogging-singer worries perhaps I shouldn't publicize it.

    How intriguing! Share?

    Oh, and my advice? Rigoletto. Plus whatever else strikes you.

    Maybe I'll go see them all.

    It seems the FGO like to offer more cutting-edge opera one year (lots of Britten, etc), and then go to the "classical" operas the next.

    We must be in the classical period.

    My dad also wants Rigoletto, BTW.

    I want Barber. My mother, Fanciulla del West...which we missed.

    She always gets the raw deal.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sun Dec 25, 11:09:00 am GMT-5  

  • I would vote for Rigoletto, but only because I haven't seen it before and Leah Hunt will be performing.

    Oooh, I hadn't seen that!

    Happy Holidays and a Feliz Navidad too!

    Feliz Navidad (o Pascua, como dicen los Sur Americanos ;), para ti y tu familia, Robert!

    Comas todo que la caja china te dara!

    Besos,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sun Dec 25, 11:12:00 am GMT-5  

  • King Tut's treasures are certainly impressive, but what really impresses a man like me is the size of that woman's HANDS in your profile portrait...Is that a RembrHAND?

    (groan)

    Which reminds me of that comment on ESPN's Linda Cohn, about her "man hands".

    Funniest thing I ever heard, especially as it came from a man.

    Truly impressed!

    Aren't I?

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sun Dec 25, 11:14:00 am GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.