.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Saturday, December 17, 2005

On The Town

As Christmas approaches, and the end of this disaster-prone year draws nearer, your never-humble blogger will get busier and busier.

Gifts must be wrapped. Parties planned. Outfits coordinated.

I will blog inimitably as ever, I hope, but perhaps you may have to indulge me as to the timeliness of the blogposts, every once in a while.

Everything I do for Sundries, I do with love -- especially love for my readers, all 3 of you.

You have graced the blog with your presence, your spirit, and your affection, for which I would need a hundred blogposts to thank you adequately. But you can't get better proof of my gratitude, than when you see the photos I have accrued below these many days.

There will be more, as long as they interest you.

Like the much-commented on snapshot album-blogpost of Miami, the Magic City, these pics below are little glances into my world.

Nothing excites me more, than being your cicerone around this city of youthful aquatints.

So take off your sweaters, grab my hand and let's be off!

Off into the hectic, but lovely last days of the waning year, 2005.


ON THE TOWN





Miami Beach is a pocket-Venice, with its many bridges, and sparkling waterways, bustling with activity one moment, only to present a scene of ethereal calm the next.

That respite of peace is caught in this snap, evoking Canaletto, so beautiful it smarts the eyes.





Youth must have its head, shirtless, in a Beemer convertible, with the promise of a double whopper with cheese.

(What, doesn't every Burger King look like that?)





This is the Regal Cinemahouse on famed Lincoln Road.

It is my favourite movie theatre in the whole of this world, because, well, look at it. It's a tribute to Miami Beach at its Art Deco height, but still has that standoffish, metallic Orwellian look I so love.

One thing, though. I can't decide if I like it in daylight best...





...or at night?

Either way, I hope you know what makes a city beautiful.

When you can see it in the daytime or in the darkness of night, and it's still gorgeous. Like a woman.





Speaking about women, it's time to go shopping!

This open-air mall is The Falls in Pinecrest, ex-neigbourhood stomping grounds of Governor Jeb Bush. With its trademarked water-features, and celestial views (tilt your head up, and watch the stars dance at night), it's a wonderful place to shop, unconstrained as you are in elbow room, if not in wallet size.

Visible is a topiary pussy in lights. I wish I had one of those.





And what better place to request one than at Santa's House?

Taking a much-needed break in the 84F degree weather, Santa popped down to the Falls to hear what the rugrats of South Florida have to request this Christmas.





I hope one requested a difibrilator. Their dad will need it after this Santa sticker-shock.

($34.99?? You could feed half of Africa with that, as my dear old dad always says)





Shopping is good. Reading is better.

When you are satiated with the Christmas sprees, come down to this Public Library.

Its huge oak doors will open into a cobbled inner courtyard, transforming your city view from the gay pastels of Miami Beach, into the sombre Spanish colonial earth tones of Coral Gables.





Dusk illustrates these shade differences magnificently, as it sets on Coral Gables City Hall, at the end of Miracle Mile.

Built like a Spanish fortress, it is like an exclamation point of elegance in Miami's most coveted address. I often go here to relax up and down Miracle Mile, a stately stretch of shops, restaurants, and hotels.

Mind you dodge the bridezillas that congregate around the many bridal gown emporia though (my future self included).





I bet you when you started reading and viewing this blogpost, you thought I was going for another round of,

"Oh, look at the pretty cuteness of the happy palm trees and gay Paxil-colours of South Florida"

...right?

Well, I end with a sunset shot of the most pedestrian, uncloyingly pretty vista I can think of posting in a travellogue:

A paved highway, our US-1, "South Dixie", during rush hour traffic.

Somewhere near you is a road which looks not unlike this one, minus a few palm trees and the elevated Metrorail to the right.

Beauty is all around us, just waiting to be noticed.

Maybe my eyes are still that of that perpetual wide-eyed British tourist, fascinated by sights I see every day, in weather only a rain-soaked ex-national can treasure.

But I know there are places even in homely cities, that you don't have to be starry-eyed to love.

You just have to open your eyes to see them afresh.

Won't you share them with us, too?

UPDATE: Well, fudge. I used xs.to instead of Photoblogger for a change, and look what happened -- at 2:00 AM EST, no pics because the site must be down momentarily. I'll upload them again properly tomorrow. Me teepy now. Rather fun, though, to read the descriptions for the first time, and imagine what they could look like. Especially the be-lit pussy.

10 Comments:

  • Maybe there are places to match the beauty of your pictures. Maybe.
    There is no matching the beauty of prose, colorful, flirting, humorous, naughty, serious and teasing.
    It is as rare as you. I am glad to have found Sundries, a year-round Christmas gift, with pictures. It is you that make these pictures especially attractive and interesting.
    Thank you, Victoria, for this and for allowing comments, to which I've looked as much forward to your response, as to the original post. You've always taken time to make, I think, each of us feel special. The rarest of gifts.
    The photographs are beautiful. What made you all settle there?

    By Blogger Paul, at Sat Dec 17, 06:00:00 pm GMT-5  

  • When are the nuptials?

    Paxil-coloured? You must be a BRITISH DOCTOR. Your eyes are tainted by drugs!

    Lovely travelogue. Keep it up.

    BTW: Regarding the speaking in tongues post: one of my single male colleagues thought 'hubba, hubba' to that. Reminded us both of "A Fish Called Wanda".

    By Blogger Ruth Anne Adams, at Sat Dec 17, 07:11:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Maybe there are places to match the beauty of your pictures. Maybe.
    There is no matching the beauty of prose, colorful, flirting, humorous, naughty, serious and teasing.
    It is as rare as you. I am glad to have found Sundries, a year-round Christmas gift, with pictures.


    Aww. You're a virtual tonic to my happiness, Paul.

    I will confess that today I have been a little down with a private matter at home (momentary ill-health).

    But reading your replies are as lovely as you say my blogposts are.

    Thanks, friend. :)

    It is you that make these pictures especially attractive and interesting.
    Thank you, Victoria, for this and for allowing comments, to which I've looked as much forward to your response, as to the original post. You've always taken time to make, I think, each of us feel special. The rarest of gifts.


    You'd have to be pretty rude in your reply for me not to say at least a little something to each person who takes the time to post.

    Who knows, if my reader volume ever goes up, if I can do that in future -- but until then!

    The photographs are beautiful. What made you all settle there?

    Simple, really. My dad and mum both got jobs down here, at the same time.

    We came from the frozen tundra of Canada, where they had settled ever so briefly.

    Although I myself was sent back to England for my studies, the moment I could, I jetted back here to be with my parents, safe from the semi-asthmatic condition of England's damp weather...

    Although there is nothing so beautiful on this earth as a field in the Cotswolds in the good ole summertime. :)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sat Dec 17, 10:30:00 pm GMT-5  

  • When are the nuptials?

    It had to be a woman to hone-in this one off-hand remark like a drone to his hive.

    No, Ruth Anne. Not yet. Future, as in future. :)

    Paxil-coloured? You must be a BRITISH DOCTOR. Your eyes are tainted by drugs!

    They're tainted by SOMETHING. Maybe the fog of pine spray my mother has doused on our Christmas tree today...

    Lovely travelogue. Keep it up.

    Thanks, Ruth Anne! You make me feel good.

    BTW: Regarding the speaking in tongues post: one of my single male colleagues thought 'hubba, hubba' to that. Reminded us both of "A Fish Called Wanda".

    Dovè está il Vaticano?

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sat Dec 17, 10:34:00 pm GMT-5  

  • I will confess that today I have been a little down with a private matter at home (momentary ill-health).

    I don't like this at all though you've every right to be human, it would take something like re-education camp to convince me you could be. Until then, never having met, it still mysteriously concerns me. I hope it has past. If not, I know several dances to convince the Gods to free you from assorted ailments. Let me know.

    But reading your replies are as lovely as you say my blogposts are.

    Thanks, friend. :)

    You're welcome, you somehow turn appreciation for your talents into an eloquent, impeccable grace for one having noticed. Different as can be.

    Your BK at least looks fit for that terrifying King to reside in. I haven't had nightmares of waking to see him staring in my face, though I don't know why.

    By the way, has Broward and Miami-Dade returned to pre-hurricane normal?

    I guess I'm a night person, preferring the Cinema house multi-colored lights to it's sun reflecting facade. Even your malls are beautiful; not at all intending to comment on your anatomy lit part which had me laughing. It was the visual which got me.
    It's beautiful down there, admittedly. There is beauty here too, hidden unusually well, I think. I don't know if Washington slept here but York claims to be the First Capital of this great country, as do a few others. The ill-fated Articles of Confederation were penned here but I don't think I can get a picture of them.

    By Blogger Paul, at Sun Dec 18, 01:52:00 am GMT-5  

  • I don't like this at all though you've every right to be human, it would take something like re-education camp to convince me you could be. Until then, never having met, it still mysteriously concerns me. I hope it has past. If not, I know several dances to convince the Gods to free you from assorted ailments. Let me know.

    Thanks. :)

    It's not even to do with me, although I do have a nagging shoulder pain from putting up the Christmas ornaments and tree today (finally -- ridiculously late).

    I'm sure it'll pass. God willing.

    You're welcome, you somehow turn appreciation for your talents into an eloquent, impeccable grace for one having noticed. Different as can be.

    Sure!

    Remember I have a quick temper (and I snore), so I'm no Pollyanna. ;)

    But I'd like to think I notice when people return a kindness.

    Your BK at least looks fit for that terrifying King to reside in. I haven't had nightmares of waking to see him staring in my face, though I don't know why.

    Oh, I saw an TV ad that would bring on the chills for you then, Paul.

    It's a life-sized King face that appears in a window as a guy is sleeping during a BK commercial.

    *shiver*

    I don't like that monarch either. It's like clowns, and alas, Santa.

    Always frightened me.

    By the way, has Broward and Miami-Dade returned to pre-hurricane normal?

    Dade, a long time ago (well, mid-November, everything was normal again for 95% of Dade).

    But Broward, baby...one of the virtually unremarked catatrophes of 2005.

    I don't mean to be brutal about this, but I will say that if MSM could've gotten shots of underprivileged people running riot around Broward Co., they would've brought more attention to the suffering of our fellow citizens in that county -- some of whom don't have roofs over their heads tonight.

    But I guess, when you can't blame Bush for something... :(

    I guess I'm a night person, preferring the Cinema house multi-colored lights to it's sun reflecting facade.

    I do too. :)

    It looks magical -- like an inside-out kaleidoscope.

    Store that pic in your memory. I will be showing you the inside of the Regal sometime soon!

    Even your malls are beautiful;

    In fairness, we have some clunkers too.

    Mall of the Americas near FIU(shiver).

    Westland Mall in Hialeah (shiver, only been once though).

    Ugly as sin, and nearly as depressing.

    The 4 most beautiful malls in Dade Co. are:

    1) The Falls
    2) Bal Harbour Shops (also open air)
    3) Merrick Plaza (Nordstroms!)
    4) Aventura/Dadeland Malls (draw)

    CocoWalk is an open air mall too, but it's gone down in tone a lot in the past 3 years. Plus, there are no "anchor" stores around anymore.

    not at all intending to comment on your anatomy lit part which had me laughing. It was the visual which got me.

    ;)

    It's beautiful down there, admittedly.

    Yes. It's chocolate box pretty. The kind which leaps out at you, allowing you to like it effortlessly.

    There is beauty here too, hidden unusually well, I think. I don't know if Washington slept here but York claims to be the First Capital of this great country, as do a few others.

    Wow! Really? Not Philly?

    That's some good pedigree then. :)

    The ill-fated Articles of Confederation were penned here but I don't think I can get a picture of them.

    Ah yes?

    Listen, everyone. I promise not to write for

    Not sure why it cut off what you wrote, but I'm glad.

    Write as long as you want, as much as you want.

    Mi casa tu casa, capiche? ;)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sun Dec 18, 02:05:00 am GMT-5  

  • Not sure why it cut off what you wrote, but I'm glad.

    It was an attempt to delete, so you would not see, a ridiculous, nonsensical, stupid comment by me. Obviously, I was late. Though I turned in thinking I had succeeded and slept rather well. Sigh.

    By Blogger Paul, at Sun Dec 18, 10:00:00 am GMT-5  

  • Love your pictures, especially the one of the Coral Gables City Hall! I jog by there several times a week and have always loved the look of it!

    By Blogger Jose Aguirre, at Sun Dec 18, 12:56:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Me teepy now. Rather fun, though, to read the descriptions for the first time, and imagine what they could look like. Especially the be-lit pussy.

    Awwww, get some teep, upon waking you may find yourself Banned in Boston.
    But then, who cares? They support Kerry & Kennedy.
    Sorry about Broward, you are right, they are forgotten. I didn't see anyone from there testifying before Congress recently, claiming racism in their rescue and assistance.
    Another sigh.

    By Blogger Paul, at Sun Dec 18, 04:04:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Your pictures always make me look at my hometown just a little differently, and also serves as a reminder to always keep your eyes and mind open even in familiar settings.

    Thanks for sharing your pictures with us!

    By Blogger Robert, at Sun Dec 18, 08:58:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.