.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Monday, January 09, 2006

Eureka!

Since my Family Guy post on Brian, I have been wondering who on earth Stewie sounded like.

It's a high-pitched, whiney, distinctively "music hall" voice so common in England with character actors in the 1920's-1930's.

That's when I realised, Stewie (showcased by the multi-talented Seth MacFarlane) sounded very mid-Atlantic, like an English actor who had lived a very long time in America. And no, the answer is not Bob Hope.

Stewie is the very voice-double of Gale Gordon!

You remember him -- the uppity boss of Lucy Ball in The Lucy Show. Before that he had had a heralded career on radio, especially on "Our Miss Brooks", and "Molly and Fibber McGee".



The irascible, but classy Gordon was also the actor first chosen by the Arnazes to play Fred Mertz, before William Frawley was cast.

That voice, that voice. It's brilliant.

John Barrymore once said Gale Gordon had the best diction in showbiz, but little did he know the distinctively fussy, but mellifluous pitch was due to a cleft-palate at birth.

This took a series of operations to cure, all done when he was under 2 years-old.

Like Demosthenes, he turned a voice-quirk into a voice-triumph, because you just have to listen to him, to be impressed.

And that's our Stewie today, all over.

Geez, for an Old Time Radio nut that I am, that took me a ridiculously long time to come up with the similarity.

Now, I wonder who Lois Griffin's voice reminds me of...and yes, I know, Edith Bunker meets Fran Drescher.

But I mean, who else?

11 Comments:

  • Actually my dream Romantic Comedy stars Gilbert Gottfried and Fran Drescher...Days of Whine and Roses.

    Yes...that is my dream...

    By Blogger Ron, at Mon Jan 09, 01:46:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Actually my dream Romantic Comedy stars Gilbert Gottfried and Fran Drescher...Days of Whine and Roses.

    *LOL*

    That would break a few FCC laws about sodomy, though.

    You'd feel as if you'd have been rammed from behind if that ever happened.

    Yes...that is my dream...

    Nightmare more like.

    How about...Roseanne Barr and George W. Bush?

    One all Utah Jap. The other all Cowboy WASP.

    Eek!

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Mon Jan 09, 02:51:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Word verifcation: Eykupid!

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Mon Jan 09, 02:52:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Did you catch last night's final scene where your beloved Stewie rhymed with "Alan Funt" the phrase "well-shaved leg"?? Had we been drinking it would've been spit-takes all over the room.

    By Blogger Ruth Anne Adams, at Mon Jan 09, 02:56:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Did you catch last night's final scene where your beloved Stewie rhymed with "Alan Funt" the phrase "well-shaved leg"??

    Yes!

    And I'm not the only one, I'm sure, who wished they had been co-opted by the Lesbian Student Association.

    ELVIRA! Giddy-up, giddy-up, ELVIRA!

    Had we been drinking it would've been spit-takes all over the room.

    And why weren't you drinking, hmm, hmm? (Stewie voice)

    I mean, that's what Sunday nights are for -- to drown your sorrows after watching 60 Minutes.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Mon Jan 09, 03:08:00 pm GMT-5  

  • I need to figure out why I've never seen this show

    How have you packed so much living in such a short time? Blog on that one time! Gee, I need to hold my eyelids so they don't open too wide when I read you.

    Word Verification: fakzx

    I am not, I do not.

    By Blogger Paul, at Mon Jan 09, 03:39:00 pm GMT-5  

  • sod-o-my: Scots having sex on the lawn!

    By Blogger Ron, at Mon Jan 09, 06:26:00 pm GMT-5  

  • I need to figure out why I've never seen this show

    Same reason I didn't for years!

    I mean, it was on Fox, then it was cancelled, then it was on reruns, I had a friend who sent me sound .wavs of Peter teaching Meg to drive (with an injunction to listen, that I'd surely find it the best cartoon EVER).

    Nothing. It didn't make a dent on me for YEARS. I mean, the FG has been around for how long? Since 1998?

    And it's only until 2005 that I saw it really, and truly, and appreciated it.

    Thanks to Renato. :)

    How have you packed so much living in such a short time? Blog on that one time! Gee, I need to hold my eyelids so they don't open too wide when I read you.

    A combination of many factors.

    - I'm an auto-didact (I am self-motivated in study).

    - I was the only child of very intelligent parents.

    - Plus, I am a sponge. Once it's up there, it stays.

    And most important of all, I have an interest in absolutely everything human.

    Okay, I know it's not usual even given all these variables, but you have to understand:

    What I know of Molly and Fibber McGee, I don't know squat of music or popular television shows.

    Something's gotta give.

    Word Verification: fakzx

    Welllllll. ;)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Jan 10, 01:02:00 am GMT-5  

  • sod-o-my: Scots having sex on the lawn!

    And I suppose Tam O'Shanter is the Scottish missionary position? ;)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Jan 10, 01:04:00 am GMT-5  

  • Word Verification: fakzx

    Welllllll. ;)


    You know, I hadn't seen it that way until you brought it up. I was just dropping the "x" thinking it was extra.
    There is the difference between you and I, no, not the fake part, I mean I see things part way, you see them full.

    By Blogger Paul, at Tue Jan 10, 08:31:00 am GMT-5  

  • Not sure whats worse, that voice or being named Gale.

    By Blogger Renato, at Tue Jan 10, 12:29:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.