.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Saturday, February 04, 2006

Que Vergüenza

All of Friday, I was in such a funk, that I cannot fully explain to you how much. I didn't want to blog, or do much of anything else.

Perhaps you've noticed that God has given me one of the greatest gifts any human can have: an even temperament.

I can be down, of course, but it doesn't last.

By nature, and by disposition, I am usually resiliently buoyant.

But not Friday.

Because it was on Friday that I learnt that Hugo Chavez, the President of Venezuela, was to receive the 2005 International Jose Martí Prize, from no less a self-important entity, than the United Nations' Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organisation.

I would have to coin new words to convey to you my anger, because the ones I have at my disposal, are paltry in meaning comparatively.

This is beyond a slap in the face, not only to those of us who venerate Jose Martí, but to all who love democracy and the sanctity of the truth and beauty of speech.

Who is Jose Martí, a few of you may ask?

He is none other than a combination of Shakespeare/Milton/George Washington of his country, Cuba.

He was not a perfect man. No. He was a womaniser, who had a slew of illegimate children all around Latin America, for he was a freedom fighter in the best sense of the word, one that fought intellectually not just for his own, but for all.

A latter-day Simon Bolivar, but one who could write up a storm.

It was my ex-Cuban-American boyfriend who taught me the love of Martí poetry, with his deft touch in conveying such purity and such honesty in what he wrote, that those who do not speak Spanish, perhaps can never truly understand how much they make one melt inside.

And it is to Hugo Chavez that this prize, which bears his name, is going.

Hugo Chavez, that raving ex-military nutter, who would trample on any word that didn't do his bidding, and to whom democracy means nothing, but the freedom to twist and turn until it looks like a ragdoll of Communism.

You know, I have never been very anti-United Nations.

There is a fine line between having deep convictions and being a fanatic, so I always rejected the broad brushstrokes of derision, which so many people who have my same world view, append to the United Nations.

I could see much that is good about that organisation, even if I didn't fail to mention that which I didn't respect about it.

But today, whatever respect I had for the United Nations, has evaporated. Gone.

Never would you expect Augusto Pinochet, or Francisco Franco to be honoured by the United Nations for their efforts in promoting the culture of their respective regions, although they overhauled the educational systems of their countries.

But Hugo Chavez, on the same day he urges his fellow world revolutionaries to rise up and depose the "American Empire", a hope which certainly does not include putting flowers into rifles, a thought which should horrify the pacifists the world over (but it won't), and who expelled the American Naval Attaché from the US Embassy, claiming he was a spy, seeking information for the US to invade Venezuela, gets an international honour for his good works in promoting Latin American culture.

In Havana, Cuba, no less.

On the same soil which Martí died defending for its freedoms.

Trust me, even given my standards, I am speechless.

So I will let Jose Martí's words speak for me and my desperation at the cruel irony of this world.

Porque el que en huelga y regocijo vive
Y huye el dolor, y esquiva las sabrosas
Penas de la virtud, irá confuso
Del frío y torvo juez a la sentencia,
Cual soldado cobarde que en herrumbre
Dejó las nobles armas; ¡y los jueces
No en su dosel lo ampararán, no en brazos
Lo encumbrarán, mas lo echarán altivos
A odiar, a amar y a batallar de nuevo
En la fogosa y sofocante arena!
¡Oh! ¿qué mortal que se asomó a la vida
vivir de nuevo quiere? ...


Perdonas las indecencias hecho en tu nombre, Jose Martí, ya que mismo en la muerte no hay respeto.

8 Comments:

  • Thank you Victoria for so aptly expressing the outrage that all freedom loving Cubans feel about this travesty. Marti was a free thinking patriot who loved his country and Chavez is a charlatan who is destroying his country.

    Regarding the UN, they are a joke and John Bolton was right on when he commented on knocking ten floors off their building!

    By Blogger Jose Aguirre, at Sat Feb 04, 08:02:00 am GMT-5  

  • I have felt nothing but utter, complete contempt for the U.N. since observing actions like this over my life. Their two-faced existence did not start with Kofi, though he's does an excellent job at exposing it.

    It is collectively, made up of cowards as their failure to confront evil has grown and it was Cambodia which made me see that. It was Uganda and Rwanda which made me sure of it.
    The U.S. is almost 300 million people strong. Subtract that from over 6 Billion, the rest of the world, which is little willing to do much except berate the U.S. for not doing enough or doing too much. But the U.N. is a failed experiment, one needing replaced by a group whose criteria begins with the Freedom allowed it's people.

    Marti, I only know how great is his name. I should get a book and learn more than what I have heard or cursory read. I do know enough to agree with you that Hugo is not worth enough to lick his shoe soles. It shows again, that even a man's greatness can be corrupted by groups appropriating his name and hiding their own foulness behind it.

    I agree with Jose. I wish I could be like him in saying so much in a lot less words than I use.

    By Blogger Paul, at Sat Feb 04, 09:29:00 am GMT-5  

  • Thank you Victoria for so aptly expressing the outrage that all freedom loving Cubans feel about this travesty.

    I can only imagine how you feel, Jose. How all real Cubans feel.

    Marti was a free thinking patriot who loved his country and Chavez is a charlatan who is destroying his country.

    If there were something, anything, I could point to, about Chavez that would warrant this award in relation to Jose Marti, I would sigh, and say whatever.

    But there is NOTHING. It is an empty shell of stupidity.

    Regarding the UN, they are a joke and John Bolton was right on when he commented on knocking ten floors off their building!

    I hadn't heard that...

    (This is my second attempt to post this comment. My first comment was swallowed up by Blogger, who has been acting up recently)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sat Feb 04, 12:11:00 pm GMT-5  

  • I have felt nothing but utter, complete contempt for the U.N. since observing actions like this over my life. Their two-faced existence did not start with Kofi, though he's does an excellent job at exposing it.

    Yes.

    At heart, what the United Nations stands for is excellent -- international cooperation, unity and fellow concern for each other.

    But as so often happens, especially with one side of the political spectrum, the high ideals do not match the rhetoric and least of all, the reality.

    It is collectively, made up of cowards as their failure to confront evil has grown and it was Cambodia which made me see that. It was Uganda and Rwanda which made me sure of it.

    It's not just that.

    They work within the framework of post-modernism, which says, whenever possible, you do not judge or castigate anyone who is considered an underdog.

    It's that awful double standard, which has always bothered me, but not so much as to hamper my respect for what it stands for, on paper.

    But not any more.

    The U.S. is almost 300 million people strong. Subtract that from over 6 Billion, the rest of the world, which is little willing to do much except berate the U.S. for not doing enough or doing too much. But the U.N. is a failed experiment, one needing replaced by a group whose criteria begins with the Freedom allowed it's people.

    Hmm, it's a tough call.

    Marti, I only know how great is his name. I should get a book and learn more than what I have heard or cursory read. I do know enough to agree with you that Hugo is not worth enough to lick his shoe soles. It shows again, that even a man's greatness can be corrupted by groups appropriating his name and hiding their own foulness behind it.

    That's it! You said it perfectly, better than I.

    I agree with Jose. I wish I could be like him in saying so much in a lot less words than I use.

    If you speak from the heart, and with a sound mind, you could write one word or a thousand -- and it would be right.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sat Feb 04, 12:16:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Victoria, below this please see quote from article on MSNBC when Bolton was going through the attacks in the MSM after President Bush nominated him for the UN post:

    Over the years, Bolton has become known for stinging statements on everything from alleged Cuban weapons of mass destruction to the viability of the U.N. itself — he once famously suggested that "removing the top 10 floors from the United Nations building would have no effect whatsoever."

    By Blogger Jose Aguirre, at Sat Feb 04, 12:30:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Let the current UN move to a more suitable location, (say Tripoli), and form a new organization to be based not in New York, but Los Angeles (Looking across to Europe is the past, looking across to Asia is the future).

    Except our International Organization would only admit truly Democratic states (sorry China, sorry Venezuela, sorry Iran, sorry even possibly Russia).

    A very low bar for admission, but one that would keep out the riff raff.

    Countries like China could be represented but they would have no seats on any council, no votes, and would be given standing only by invitation and only in limited areas that meet the self-interest of the Democratic States and not the Totalitarianists.

    Then you wouldn't have Iran or Venezuela or China bribing other countries to oppose reform.

    Trade freely, and offer mutual defense, amongst the Democratic nations, look warily upon the remaining non-Democrats.

    The current UN doesn't allow that, the future OD (Organization for Democracy) would.

    It would represent a codification of the current Bush Doctrine (or Rice Doctrine if you prefer).

    By Blogger XWL, at Sat Feb 04, 01:18:00 pm GMT-5  

  • If you speak from the heart, and with a sound mind, you could write one word or a thousand -- and it would be right.

    My personal conundrum. Where do I find one to connect with the other.

    By Blogger Paul, at Sat Feb 04, 01:35:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Okay, this is how Alta Vista translated that:

    Because the one that in strike and rejoicing lives and flees the pain, and avoids the flavorful Pains of the virtue, will go confused Of the cold and torvo judge to the sentence, As welded cowardly that in rusts Laid down the noble arms; and judges No in their canopy will protect it, in arms will not encumbrarán It, but they will throw it arrogant to again hate, to love and to battle In the fogosa and suffocating sand! Oh! mortal what that was shown to the life to live again wants? ... You pardon the indecencias done in your name, Jose Martí, since same in the death there is no respect.

    It really, really lost something there, didn't it?
    But the last sentence says much anyway, what terrible things are done in the names of brave, decent people who gave their lives for the lesser of us.

    By Blogger Paul, at Sun Feb 05, 01:03:00 pm GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.