.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Sunday, April 02, 2006

John Paul II Remembered

As if the world needed reminding, if there is one thing we Roman Catholics do well, is ceremonial.

But what can seem overly theatrical to some, becomes imbued with a majestic sincerity, when the moment is about honouring a beloved Catholic.



I was fairly busy on Sunday, so I can't tell you I watched the celebrations to mark the first year anniversary of our late Pope, John Paul II, but the day's import certainly didn't pass me by.

I stopped at a church to pay my respects, light a candle for the memory of this most beloved of pontiffs, and included a hope that he is finding the after-life, everything he thought it would be.

There were some streamers along the church, although of course it was muted in tone, this being the Lenten season.

One simple portrait of the late Pope, held my attention though.

God, I loved looking at it -- his apple-dome head, his robust reddish cheeks, a simplicity, and yet playfulness that just hits you, every time you looked at this Polish man's face.



I am not the most devout of Catholics, insomuch that I am lazy, as I have said before.

But if there is one thing I do know, is that whatever is a saint -- this man was it.

Sainthood, contrary to our modern-day obsession with all or nothing at all, is not about perfection.

It's not about never having used a swear word, never having gotten tipsy, never having been cross, never having gotten a woody about Cicciolina.

(Apologies in advance for that visual)

It's about embodying in your spirit, a closeness to God, which include the Catholic ideals which framed your beliefs in life.

If anyone was able to project this wholesomeness, this utter utter sincerity about his person, and his religion, it was John Paul II.

You know, I'm not much for asking in prayer, for special wishes.

But when I lit a candle for John Paul II this Sunday, I asked the Lord to guide the men who beatify Catholics, so that they may judge Karol Woytila worthy of sainthood.

Frankly, I only bother Our Lord with important stuff.

IN MEMORIAM JOHN PAUL II

6 Comments:

  • A very special Pope indeed! He was instrumental in bringing down the evil Soviet empire and freeing his native Poland!

    I had to google Cicciolina. Wow, truth is stranger than fiction!

    By Blogger Jose Aguirre, at Mon Apr 03, 09:11:00 am GMT-4  

  • One quibble: even your little requests are important stuff to The Big Guy.

    By Blogger Ruth Anne Adams, at Mon Apr 03, 07:05:00 pm GMT-4  

  • If you think he was a saint, you may like this link (for the Cause for Beatification and Canonization of JP II):

    http://www.vicariatusurbis.org/Beatificazione/HomePageen.asp

    God bless!
    Tom Reagan

    By Blogger Tom Reagan, at Mon Apr 03, 07:17:00 pm GMT-4  

  • A very special Pope indeed! He was instrumental in bringing down the evil Soviet empire and freeing his native Poland!

    And I know that means a lot coming from you, my dear Jose, since you are not much for organised religion!

    I had to google Cicciolina. Wow, truth is stranger than fiction!

    What! A grown, red-blooded man who didn't know about Cicciolina, tsk. ;)

    Yeah, our Ilona made more than one Parliamentary figure rise...and not just to his feet. *boom tish!*

    But, and I'm wary of saying this, to me the whole Cicciolina phenomenon, which I've heard explained by one defensive Italian as "Just the result of over-sexed 20-something Romanos, voting", as ludicrous.

    This is the kind of thing which happens in banana republics, and Italy, despite her spotty record since WWII with keeping the same government, should have no part of, oversexed young males or not.

    Of course, there have been other copy-cat ladies who bared their boobs for votes, in such countries as Peru, and even recently, in California, but there is a difference, a big difference...

    ...between running, and being elected.

    And the answer isn't, "about 44DD worth of difference". ;)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Apr 04, 01:24:00 am GMT-4  

  • One quibble: even your little requests are important stuff to The Big Guy.

    Ruth Anne, I gotta tell you, my mother says that all the time.

    She gets annoyed when I get annoyed at her for praying so that, for example today, a parking ticket situation would be resolved in her favour.

    But my reaction would've been the same, had it been something a little more substantive...like say, for a loan to come through, or so.

    I know I'm bad, but I just can't ask the Big Guy upstairs in the right cubby hole, for help about this kind of stuff.

    If mum, or you, or others do, well, fine.

    But it makes me feel...like I'm bothering him.

    Maybe you can make me change my mind, since obviously I can't from mum all these years? :)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Apr 04, 01:27:00 am GMT-4  

  • If you think he was a saint, you may like this link (for the Cause for Beatification and Canonization of JP II):

    http://www.vicariatusurbis.org/Beatificazione/HomePageen.asp


    Ahh, brilliant.

    Thanks for this reply and especially the link (I forgot the .asp, so I will try to reload it now).

    Also, your photo is perhaps the best I've seen in these types of Blogger avatars, although I am partial to IRA Darth Aggie's version.

    A handsome mug and an excellent series on encyclicals on your blog.

    It doesn't get any better. ;)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Apr 04, 01:33:00 am GMT-4  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.