.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Sunday, April 30, 2006

Peaceful, Prosperous Homestead

Having heard that an pro-illegal immigration rally was planned in Homestead, on the day which has honoured labourers around the world, May Day, I decided to go there the day before to see how things are in that town, for the first time since...

...well, since the day I volunteered at Habitat for Humanity, alongside President and Mrs. Carter, an activity you'll recall I blogged about recently.

That was 1993.

Homestead was a few months removed from the flattening job Hurricane Andrew left behind, in this most working-class, most Southern good ole boy, most Mexican immigrant of towns in South Florida.

You cannot imagine my utter, utter shock transform instantly into a grin full of white teeth, when I turned off the Number 2 exit in the Florida Turnpike, unto Campbell Drive -- Homestead's main road.




Some 14 years after Hurricane Andrew, and Homestead is shining like a brand-new penny!

What a cute little town, brand-spanking new, and revitalised it is!

With all the doom-and-gloom rhetoric that Hurricane Katrina has spawned, even I was conned into believing that no city could ever be renewed, let alone improved, after a major devastation.

This was in 1992, but still the federal government then was blamed for not helping out quicker, a complain which might just have some legs.

After all, our catastrophe took 7 days for National Guard troops to arrive, compared to the 3 of NOLA.

And alas, Bruce Springsteen failed to show up for a concert, to buck our spirits up.

So obviously, I was ramped up to believe that Homestead, always a one-horse town, which was made riderless when the Homestead Air Force Base was virtually closed down, would be a shell of a place, even more miserable than it used to be.

Don't you believe it.

It could be the Homestead Speedway, which hosts its beloved NASCAR rallies, it could be the sprawling extension of Miami-Dade College's Homestead branch, it could be the huge multi-outlet malls which dot Florida City, Homestead's tiwn sister city.

It could be the Publix that was DEMOLISHED by Andrew, but that looks as good, and as active as any Coral Gables Publix around.



It could be even the new Flagship Cinemas which I went to, to catch a teenie-bopper flick this weekend...



...but this city is just fine.

Except for Monday, May Day, that is.

As I type, I am watching the rally of a purported 100,000 people, holding various flags, drapeaux, signs, and posters, expressing their solidarity with "immigrants" everywhere.

Included in the roll-call of nations there is a flag, comically, of Norway.

Damn those illegal Norwegians!

Of course, few native-born Americans like to work in the herring plants, so what can you do?

So take heart New Orleans. It might not be a speedy recovery.

But a speedway recovery, after all. Meep meep!

3 Comments:

  • I do wish our government would build a fence between our country and Norway; our mutual border is entirely too liquid.
    I'm glad to hear the effort put out by you and ex=President and resident badmouther, Jimmy Carter were not in vain.
    You hit a prodigious stride near the end. How much more fun can a person emit? I wish, if I could have an intelligent mind, it would be like yours. You do so much for people by sharing yourself.

    By Blogger Paul, at Mon May 01, 09:53:00 pm GMT-4  

  • I do wish our government would build a fence between our country and Norway; our mutual border is entirely too liquid.

    Oh yeah, the North Sea blows. If Leif Ericsson were alive today, he'd be Tancredo.

    I'm glad to hear the effort put out by you and ex=President and resident badmouther, Jimmy Carter were not in vain.

    He helped, but I got the pizza, and we all know, it's allll about the pizza.

    You hit a prodigious stride near the end. How much more fun can a person emit? I wish, if I could have an intelligent mind, it would be like yours. You do so much for people by sharing yourself.

    I shared myself once.

    (My kingdom for a Youksefer!)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Mon May 01, 11:58:00 pm GMT-4  

  • O, Thou mock me
    Be there a rock to slide under
    A bush to hide in
    Air to fade me

    Paul, you must stop commenting

    By Blogger Paul, at Tue May 02, 11:55:00 am GMT-4  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.