.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

...a sweatshop of moxie

Monday, April 10, 2006

What Will You Be Doing on December 21, 2012?

Because according to ex-Phillies and Marlins' catcher, Darren Daulton, and those who I will politely call his "ilk", that's when the world will come to an end.

If you were watching tonight's ESPN Sportcentre, you can't have failed to have missed the interview he gave, where he explained some of his "metaphysical" beliefs.

An excerpt from his Wikipedia article (who writes these things??):

Daulton holds a series of unusual beliefs related to conspiracies, metaphysics, and numerology.

He maintains that the universe is created and sustained by numerical synchronicities, and that all matter is charged with vibrational energy, which has escaped human perception because it is extradimensional in origin.

He believes that those who are conscious of this energy can manipulate it to affect reality in different ways, such as altering the weather.

He also believes that the pyramids and Mayan temples were created by a lost civilization, and that people with knowledge of the workings of the system will "ascend" at the conclusion of the Mayan calendar on Dec. 21, 2012, at 11:11 a.m. (Greenwich Mean Time), vanishing into a new plane of existence.[5]

Gee, I haven't been this scared since I saw that Orson Welles' voice-overed documentary on Nostradamus, back in the 80's.

(Remember how World War III was supposed to have started via a charismatic Middle Eastern potentate, with a blue sapphire in his "turban"? I am still keeping my eye on that one)

Now, I don't begrudge people their funny little beliefs.

If you want to tell me that the Lost City of Atlantis is located in the Bermuda Triangle, or that martians created the pyramids, fine.

I'm not insensitive to esoterica, after all.

Here I am, working on my chakras.

But though I am grateful to Darren for helping the Marlins win the World Series in 1997, I think this Doomsday prediction is a bit much.

Trust a baseball player to think the world will end in the off-season.

By the way, wasn't there another baseball player who left the game, due to his belief that the world would come to an end, on Y2K?

I wonder what happens when these dates come to pass, and poof...nothing happens?

Is there a V-8 moment, complete with slap to forehead, and an embarrassed look on their faces, which screams -- "I been lied to!".

Not to mention, "now what?".

Not that there won't be an End of Days date.

Everything organic is born, lives, and dies, and if the earth had a beginning, sure, I'll buy that it'll have an end too.

But for pity's sakes, not December 21, 2012.

I have Korn tickets then.


  • Don't you ever wear clothes, Victoria?

    By Blogger XWL, at Mon Apr 10, 03:51:00 am GMT-4  

  • Geez, xwl, I hope not...

    see, told ya I was pig

    By Blogger I R A Darth Aggie, at Mon Apr 10, 08:08:00 am GMT-4  

  • Tempted to comment on the accompanying pictures, I will, however, decline and remind you of "Pascal's wager".

    It should be the rational choice to believe (in any god or prediction) and display the appropriate repentance. If it works, at least you're saved. If it doesn't, nothing's lost anyway.

    Of course, with these Mayans, there seems to be no solution to the problem (the soddy bastards). Unless of course, there's an edition available somewhere of 'Living in the Next Plane of Existence for Dummies'.

    By Anonymous Napfisk, at Mon Apr 10, 01:05:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Whatever happened to the good ol days when Darren was part of that rugged Phillies bunch which included John Kruk and Mitch Williams?

    And yes Victoria, I'm also beginning to wonder whether you actually wear clothes on a regular basis!

    By Blogger Robert, at Mon Apr 10, 01:53:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Is there a V-8 moment, complete with slap to forehead, and an embarrassed look on their faces, which screams -- "I been lied to!".

    For those people who waited for the space ship which was trailing the comet Hale-Bopp there was a V-8 moment, only theirs had arsenic in it. Now, they may have made their connection. So far though, there's been no word.

    By Blogger Paul, at Mon Apr 10, 02:51:00 pm GMT-4  

  • After further review, I must conclude that poor Darren is suffering from Lynne Austin Traumatic Stress Syndrome.

    Are they still married?

    By Blogger I R A Darth Aggie, at Mon Apr 10, 11:13:00 pm GMT-4  

  • I have Korn tickets then.

    I doubt they'll still be performing by then, The Rolling Stones on the other hand. . .

    (and my earlier interrogative regarding clothedness isn't meant as a criticism, simply a query)

    By Blogger XWL, at Mon Apr 10, 11:18:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Figures the world would end on the Democrats watch.

    By Anonymous Pav, at Mon Apr 10, 11:39:00 pm GMT-4  

  • "Here I am, working on my chakras."

    Nice work!

    By Anonymous xsicsofa, at Tue Apr 11, 11:59:00 am GMT-4  

  • xsicsofa? That was me!

    Good luck on your decision(mentioned elsewhere)...I'll read every word until then. And I won't even mention the used yoga mat drive that I run every now and then. For a good cause, I assure you!

    By Anonymous Darrell, at Tue Apr 11, 12:06:00 pm GMT-4  

  • So was his appearance on Pros vs. Joes some sort of cosmic tribute to bring synchronicity back to the universe?

    The only extradimensional display there was his waist line.

    By Blogger Renato, at Wed Apr 12, 10:24:00 am GMT-4  

  • Nice chakras! Sheesh!

    Didn't Billy Sunday toss a thriving baseball career to become an Evangelist? ; )

    I read a fascinating book called "May 5, 2000" And it postulated all sorts of dire things that would culminate in the earth flipping over on it's axis on that date.

    And it didn't. Big surprise. Most of these doomsday ideas travel the same road. Even I could pick out the obvious errors in the historical "facts" the authors wrote. So silly. Yet, so many people fall for the silliness. Thus people killing themselves so they can meet a spaceship behind a comet.


    By Blogger benning, at Thu Apr 13, 03:19:00 pm GMT-4  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.