.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Friday, April 07, 2006

Not Fonda Jane

Remember in the 1970's, when self-expression on every possible occasion, and surface, suddenly became de rigueur?

From graffiti on walls, to "message" t-shirts, to bumperstickers, people had one thing on their mind:

To share what was on their minds, with everyone and their mothers.

Well, I don't much remember the 70's (thank God), but I do remember my very first sighting of a bumpersticker on a car.

It must've been Buffalo, 1980, or so.

The car was a huge seafoam blue Impala, those mammoth petroguzzlers.

And the bumpersticker simply said:

NOT FONDA JANE

I'll never forget it.

Some years ago, I was talking to a Cuban-American friend, and he told me that ole Jane was definitely persona non grata with so many people, but particularly with his own.



Seems her diatribes in favour of Fidel Castro, was one paja mental too many for the Cubans here.

So when she came over to Dadeland Mall, to pitch whatever it was that she was pitching then (probably her aerobic videos, then at their infancy), she was scheduled to make an appearance at what used to be that venerable local Miami department store, Burdines -- now Macy's.

And you know what happened?

According to my chum, so many bomb threats reached the Burdines' operators, that the county police decided it was best if Ms. Fonda cancelled her appearance.

Basically, she was run out of town in her leotards and leg-warmers.

Now...fast-forward to the year 2006.

Same Cuban-Americans.

Same Vietcong-buddy Jane (even with her born-againness, which doesn't even fool Oral Roberts).

Same meet-and-greet situation, at Books-and-Books.

Only this time, she will be in town pitching her new memoirs:

My Life So Far by Fonda, Jane
Format: Hardcover (Cloth)
Price: $26.95
Published: Random House, 2005
Inventory Status: Usually Ships in 1-5 days

(Note that Books-and-Books owner, and local intelligentsia guru, Mitch Kaplan, used to personally deliver any books you ordered online, often with his kids in tow. I know -- he did that twice for me. Why? I don't know, maybe he was short staffed)

This is how the B&B website describes the occasion, on the off-off-chance you're in town and want to go:

Time: Saturday, April 22, 2006 7:30 PM
Location: Miami Dade College, Chapman Conference Center
Title of Event: Jane Fonda – My Life So Far


Tickets Required. Please call us at (305) 442-4408 to get your tickets today! She is one of the most recognizable women of our time, known as an actress and activist, a feminist and a wife, a workout guru and a role model. [ed- Role model, eh? Yeah, for Michael Moore and the Weather Underground crowd]

Now, in her extraordinary memoir, My Life So Far (Random House, paperback: $16.95; hardcover, $26.95), Jane Fonda reveals that she is so much more. From her youth among Hollywood’s elite and her early film career to the challenges and triumphs of her life today, Fonda reveals intimate details and universal truths that she hopes “can provide a lens through which others can see their lives and how they can live them a little differently.” Surprising, candid, and wonderfully written, My Life So Far is filled with universal insights into the personal struggles of women living full and engaged lives. Tickets to this event are $5 and can be purchased at any Books & Books location. The ticket stub may be returned and used as a credit toward the purchase of My Life So Far, or any other book at any Books & Books location. This event is presented in collaboration with the Florida Center for the Literary Arts.


Will there be bomb threats, again?

I doubt it.

Those days she was a pariah in the right-of-centre world, and though there are many who would not pass up a chance to spit in her eye for what she did in Vietnam, the same people have grown older in the meantime.

Let's just say, though, that your humble bloggeress will be giving a very wide berth to this event, practically 5 minutes away from me.

Besides, I have Dwayne Wade to entertain me, anyway.

Thursday, April 13, 2006 6:30 PM

Miami Heat's Dwyane Wade goes one on one with Jane Austen
Location: Miami Dade College - Chapman Conference Center


Any man who can dipsy-doodle, and talk about the merits of Elizabeth Bennet, is someone I'm really fonda.

7 Comments:

  • I would not pay a nickel to listen to Hanoi Jane!!! And someone already spit in her face at one of her book signings not too long ago.

    Mitch Kaplan on the other hand is a wonderful guy who I went to high school with!

    By Blogger Jose Aguirre, at Sat Apr 08, 01:27:00 am GMT-4  

  • I would not pay a nickel to listen to Hanoi Jane!!!

    That goes double for me, buster. ;)

    Did you see how you could use the $5 you spent on her lecture, to redeem it towards her book, or any other book at the shop?

    I'd buy a ticket, just so I could redeem it to buy the complete works of Hayek and Adam Smith.

    And someone already spit in her face at one of her book signings not too long ago.

    Yes! I forgot to link to that on my blog, in my hurry.

    I mentioned it, precisely because of that.

    When interviewed on CNN, she said she "understood" why the guy did that.

    But on Irish television a little later on, she said that Americans had learnt nothing, and were the same dimwits they used to be, in the Vietnam era.

    Pardon me, but do the Dixie Chicks and Hanoi Jane think we can hear them say what they do, just because they're abroad when they do so?

    Sheesh.

    Mitch Kaplan on the other hand is a wonderful guy who I went to high school with!

    He's a nice guy, yes. Down-to-earth.

    But also a little creido.

    No offence to your high school buddy, though.

    Who knows -- maybe I just rubbed him the wrong way.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sat Apr 08, 02:52:00 am GMT-4  

  • CAN'T hear them when they're abroad, that is.

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sat Apr 08, 02:53:00 am GMT-4  

  • I loathed how Fonda said she recanted her Vietnam errors, but --look!-- we're doing the same thing in Iraq!

    Ick! Double Ick!

    By Blogger Ron, at Sat Apr 08, 10:53:00 am GMT-4  

  • BRAVO on the anti-Hanoi Jane vitriol!!!

    I might pay $5 to see her if there was a gaurantee that part of the sight would include her execution by slow and painful means.

    She should have been stood up against a wall and shot for giving aid and comfort to the enemy in Viet Nam.

    By Anonymous Jim, at Sat Apr 08, 10:46:00 pm GMT-4  

  • I loathed how Fonda said she recanted her Vietnam errors, but --look!-- we're doing the same thing in Iraq!

    Ick! Double Ick!


    That's what makes her "I'm sorry"s so galling.

    She's not sorry at all.

    She's just P.O'ed someone took her picture, on the tank.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sun Apr 09, 05:52:00 am GMT-4  

  • BRAVO on the anti-Hanoi Jane vitriol!!!

    I was practically sanguine, comparatively, Jim. :)

    I can be much much more acid-tongued about her, but whatever. She means zilch to me.

    I might pay $5 to see her if there was a gaurantee that part of the sight would include her execution by slow and painful means.

    Or as it's also called, "Looking at box office receipts, after Monster-in-Law came out".

    She should have been stood up against a wall and shot for giving aid and comfort to the enemy in Viet Nam.

    Yes.

    But also, you know, as much as I DETEST what she did, if she had just stated her opposition to Vietnam, well, I wouldn't have begrudged her free speech.

    What I find galling, absolutely disgusting, is her acts in North Vietnam.

    For me, that sort of act is as you say, treason.

    What I will never accept about the present-day anti-Iraq crowd, is best exemplified by this incident, of which I read when it happened:

    Ex-Elizabeth I impersonator, Glenda Jackson, who had a run at film fame in the 70's of course, manned a booth during the lead-up to the Iraq War.

    It was located in London, during the protest marches.

    You know what the booth was about?

    It was to sign up people to act as live shields to protect Saddam Hussein and his buildings, from allied bombing.

    You can dissent, and protest, and that's fine.

    BUT THAT, to me, is beyond the pale.

    People who would do this, which echo the "solidarity" Hanoi Jane showed to the North Vietnamese over her own, are nuts.

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sun Apr 09, 06:01:00 am GMT-4  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.