.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Wednesday, December 06, 2006

What's Playing on Your iPod?

(Welcome Immodest Proposal readers!)

These days, iPod playlist sharing has become a social rite-of-passage.

Gone are the days when your opening conversational gambit rested on asking how much a person made (that particularly jarring American custom).

...or where you went to school (annoying Sloane Ranger habit).

...or even where you were from (hint: you don't look like you're from these here parts).

Now, it's all about, "What's playing on your iPod?".

Never was that point brought closer to me, than when I recently attended a question-answer session with Chief Justice Roberts, who came down to the University of Miami's Convocation Centre, where I had scored a ticket from an UM staffer who remembered me from Med School.

(It's not what you know, but who you know, baby)

He was asked -- granted, at the end of the session -- by the ABC reporter who was handling that part of the talk, Jan Crawford Greenburg, what, if anything, was on his iPod.

"In fact, do you have an iPod?"

"No."

Bless his heart.

But you know, the Chief Justice of the SCOTUS is actually in the minority these days amongst the high and mighty.

Even the Pope has a stylish white iPod Nano (!), given to him by Radio Vatican staffers, who sensed a man who appreciated Serengetti sunglasses and Prada shoes, would love one. And he did. He did.

As the Register put it, quoting Papa Ratzi, "'Computer technology is the future' says 2-gig Pontiff".

And yes, I'm aware I am talking a lot about Pope Benedict XVI on my blog of late. So what? I love me some Benny. He's part of Planet iPod.

Located below, are some other members of this interplanetary rat pack of Apple eye-candy aficionados.

But first, I have a question to ask you:

Sooo, what's playing on YOUR iPod?

And yes, you can answer in the hypothetical even if you don't possess this inestimably wonderful piece of electronic modernity.

Geez, what's wrong with you?


A LOOK AT VARIOUS iPOD PLAYLISTS


  • President George W. Bush




  • "Gone Country" by Alan Jackson
    "My Sharona" by The Knack
    "(You're So Square) Baby, I Don't Care" by Joni Mitchell
    "The House Is Rockin" by Stevie Ray Vaughn
    "Gone Pecan" by Sonny Landreth
    "Rock 'n' Roll Hootchie Coo" by Johnny Winter
    "Adios Mexico" by Texas Tornados
    "Why" by David Baerwald
    "Road to Hell" by Chris Rea
    "Hey, Hey, Hey" by Stevie Wonder
    "Layla" by Eric Clapton
    "Real Emotions" by Los Lonely Boys
    "Simply Irresistible" by Robert Palmer
    "Firecracker" by Bryan Adams
    "Jacob's Ladder" by Huey Lewis
    "You Make My Dreams Come True" by Hall and Oates

    (As for Mrs. B, her tastes are more pop-oriented than just country. She rocks to Dolly Parton's "Stairway to Heaven" and to anything by Tina Turner)

    If you're wondering, like any person with a lot of free time on your hands, and an extraordinary interest in the celebrity mundane, how he actually downloads the songs, fear not.

    RIAA won't be asking him to hand over the iPOTUS any time soon, to check for illicit downloads.

    His ex-body man, the youthful Blake Gottesman, used to do so for him via the iTunes store, a task now performed by Gottesman's ex-roommate and successor, Jared Weinstein.

    It must be fun to know the President of the United States' Visa card number.


  • Pope Benedict XVI




  • The Pope's initial playlist was filled by the radio employees I mentioned.

    Apart from the obvious Radio Vatican podcasts, it included selections of Mozart, Beethoven (his favourite, old pianist that he is), Chopin, Tchaikovsky and Stravinsky.

    If there's one thing Roman Catholicism does to the nth degree well, is accessories.

    No one has more prayer hymnals, rosaries, scapulars, holy water, medals, votive candles, saint image cards, hairshirts, celices, chaplets, bracelets, cassocks, wimples and other customisible religious tchokes than we do.

    We were iPod, before iPod was cool.


  • Tom Brady, New England Patriots Quarterback




  • 1. Dream On, Aerosmith
    2. Lose Yourself, Eminem
    3. Possum Kingdom, The Toadies
    4. If I Can't, 50 Cent
    5. Fell on Black Days, Soundgarden
    6. Bittersweet Symphony, The Verve
    7. Award Tour, A Tribe Called Quest
    8. Mysterious Ways, U2
    9. I Can, Nas
    10. Shiver, Coldplay
    11. My Name Is, Eminem
    12. I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, U2
    13. Jesus Walks, Kanye West
    14. Beast of Burden, The Rolling Stones
    15. Wonderwall (Live), Oasis
    16. Black, Pearl Jam
    17. Sunday Bloody Sunday, U2
    18. Encore, Jay-Z

    If I had to come back reincarnated as a man, I'd choose to be Tom Brady. I mean, just look at him.

    So quintessentially classic American, with his flawless white teeth, clean-cut good looks, and already two Super Bowl rings, not to mention single and with a hefty bank account bristling with Wheeties Box dollars.

    This has got to be one of the world's luckiest men.

    He may not have his finger on the nuclear button, or to be able to excommunicate 1 billion Catholics if he desired, but he gets to fling a pigskin around every Sunday, to the boundless joy of his fantasy NFL owners.

    Dang. He can play my list any day.


  • Elizabeth II




  • It was revealed by various tabloids, that the Queen purchased a silver 6G iPod, which can store 10,000 songs. It was Prince Andrew's idea, but the Queen has taken to her new baby like a corgi to Windsor Great Park.

    Playlist: Unknown as yet, but I have a sneaking suspicion Charlotte Church will feature prominently.


  • Anderson Cooper, CNN Anchor





  • The Clash "This Is Radio Clash"
    Scissor Sisters "Comfortably Numb"
    Johnny Cash "Folsom Prison Blues"
    Radiohead "Karma Police"
    Sugar "Neele Hits E"
    Ike & Tina Turner "Proud Mary"
    Nouvelle Vague "Love Will Tear Us Apart"
    Interpol "Slow Hands"
    Arcade Fire "Wake Up"
    Arctic Monkeys "I Bet You Look Good On The Dancefloor"
    Mary J. Blige "No More Drama"
    Devo "Freedom Of Choice"
    Elvis Costello "Pump It Up"
    The Hives "Hate To Say I Told You So"
    Abbey Lincoln "Nature Boy"

    I've been reliably informed that this compilation makes him the coolest cable anchor around, but I reserve judgement until I see Shep Smith's.

    But titilating tongues being what they are online, point out the gay-quotient of Mr. Anderson's playlist is rather high. Tsk.

    Frankly, the prematurely grey-haired one is rather dishy, with his carefully preserved Kiehl's lotion skin and all, and though I don't much care for CNN, who amongst us hasn't owned Anderson Cooper's mum's jeans at one point in their lives?


  • Your Humble Lady Blogger Here Present




  • Yes, you are seeing right. My current playlist is very boring since it's mostly Books on Tape.

    Unquenchable bluestocking that I am, I prefer not to be entertained by any rock star, but rather by Thomas Friedman, Joseph Heller, and Joseph Campbell.

    I even have Albert Einstein's Theory of Relativity somewhere, as read by some dry old prof of the Modern Scholars audiobook series.

    Unfortunately, downloading songs is still expensive, and I sure do not have the purse strings of the worthies above.

    Oh, I do have some more accessible songs like the one in Playlist 5 above:

    1. La Vita É by NEK
    2. Cry Me a River by Justin Timberlake
    3. Blue Moon of Kentucky by Patsy Cline
    4. Europa by Gato Barbieri
    5. The Shadow of Your Smile by Stan Getz
    6. Sodade by Cesaria Evora
    7. Rock Lobster by the B-52s
    8. Stuck in the 80s Dance Remix featuring Rick Astley and the Pet Shop Boys
    9. Men Alby by Hala Hady
    10. And Piano Concerto in A by Schumann (played by the incomparable pianist, Dinu Lipatti)

    But I have very little confidence in my musical taste. In fact, I think I have awful musical taste.

    It's just everywhere, and if you didn't know I was 31 years old, you'd swear I was 64. Ah well.

    At least I have not, nor will ever, download Menudo...

    ...although I do have Madonna's Holiday in Playlist 4.

    Sigh.

    I want my childhood Madonna back, not the Area 51 Jar Jar Binks' mum she's tranformed herself into, don't you agree?



    If however, you are a bit like me, that is, you're just not terribly musical or have no idea what a good playlist might sound like -- perhaps burdened by the prolificity of choice out there -- then fear not, you might be interested in this stocking stuffer.

    The iPod Playlist Book

    You watch. It'll be the modern-day equivalent of giving your dad a tie for Christmas.

    LOOKIT: Flickr iPod Photo Group

    ADDENDUM: Here's an article which purports to psychoanalyse you, based on your iPod playlist.

    Also, I forgot to mention what I called my new iPod Shuffle.



    Shantoozy, she's called.

    And yes, it's a she.

    Malibu Barbie with accessories, and Sister Brigit Immaculate, prepared me well.

    UPDATED!: Even for my musical standards, my Audiobooks Playlist was almost too milquetoast. All I needed was Tony Robbins and The Road Less Travelled to firmly enter the Dork Club.

    So, okay. I'm still not as cool as Coop, but I'm also marginally less gay.



    Victoria's newer playlist includes:

    1. So Have I for You - Nikka Costa
    2. Weekend Without Make Up - The Long Blondes
    3. What Ever Happened? - The Strokes
    4. Nothing In My Way - Keane (my fave)
    5. One in Ten - UB40
    6. Fell On Bad Days - Rubyhorse
    7. Redneck Woman - Gretchen Wilson
    8. Devil - Stereophonics (phenomenal)
    9. Dare - Gorillaz
    10. A Love Supreme Part 1 - John Coltrane

    It's not a proper playlist, without some Trane.

    18 Comments:

    • Heh. Where d'ya get all these celebrity playlists from? Are they legit, or your make-believe? I'm asking, 'cause I'm puzzled by the large amount of cover versions in the lists.

      What I have is a "macro ipod", that is an old laptop with one half working keyboard and some display defects. I keep it in the car under the seat, and I have it set up to start Winamp on boot (in shuffle mode). The playlist is a subset of the following master list (all the music on my file server, directory listing):

      ABBA
      Albert Hammond
      Alphaville
      America
      Audioslave
      Bachman-Turner Overdrive
      Bangles
      Barbra Streisand
      Beach Boys
      Bee Gees
      Beethoven
      Billy Joel
      Bob Dylan
      Bob Marley
      Bob Marley & the Wailers
      Bob Seger
      Boney M
      Boston
      Boulat Okoudzhava
      Bread
      Brothers Four
      Buddy Holly
      Byrds
      Carpenters
      Charley Pride
      Chicago
      Chris Rea
      Conway Twitty
      Cream
      Creedence Clearwater Revival
      CSNY
      Deep Purple
      Demis Roussos
      Dimitrova&Goranov
      Dire Straits
      Don McLean
      Donovan
      Dream Theater
      Eddie Money
      Electric Food
      Electric Light Orchestra
      Elton John
      Eurythmics
      Fleetwood Mac
      Floyd Cramer
      Foreigner
      FSB
      George Harrison
      Gordon Lightfoot
      Grand Funk Railroad
      Hank Snow
      Hank Williams
      It's a Beautiful Day
      Jackson Browne
      James Taylor
      Jean Michel Jarre
      Jethro Tull
      Jill Sobule
      Jim Reeves
      John Denver
      John Lennon
      Johnny Cash
      Johnny Horton
      Journey
      Kansas
      Kate & Anna McGarrigle
      Kayak
      Kenny Rogers
      Led Zeppelin
      Luther Vandross
      Lynn Anderson
      Lynyrd Skynyrd
      Manhattan Transfer
      Marillion
      Mark Knopfler
      Marty Robbins
      Mary Hopkin
      Milcho Leviev
      Neil Diamond
      Neil Young
      Nick Drake
      Oasis
      Panayot Panayotov
      Patsy Cline
      Paul Simon
      Pink Floyd
      Police
      Porter Wagoner
      Queen
      R.E.M
      Rammstein
      randy scruggs
      REO Speedwagon
      Ricky Nelson
      Robert Plant
      Rod Stewart
      Ronnie Milsap
      Roy Orbison
      Shturtzite
      Simon and Garfunkel
      Skeeter Davis
      Smokie
      Steely Dan
      Steve Winwood
      Stevie Wonder
      Styx
      Supertramp
      TalkTalk
      Tammy Wynette
      The Alan Parsons Project
      The Beatles
      The Doobie Brothers
      The Eagles
      The Guess Who
      The Hollies
      The Monkees
      The Moody Blues
      The Steve Miller Band
      The Turtles
      The Who
      Three Dog Night
      Tom Lehrer
      Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
      Tangra
      Tonika
      Tonika SW
      Toto
      Traveling Wilburys
      trisha yearwood
      Uriah Heep
      Various Artists
      Various Country
      Vassil Najdenov
      veselin marinov
      Vladimir Vysotski
      Willie Nelson

      By Anonymous Elko, at Wed Dec 06, 05:23:00 am GMT-5  

    • When I was less un-flush, I built a 1500 cd library! But in these leaner times I am podless, so I rock out at home...someday perhaps.

      I just emailed you a related pic!

      Audio books...maybe you can blend them with more jams! ("Enola Gay" by OMD whilst listening about Relativity, perhaps)

      By Blogger Ron, at Wed Dec 06, 09:17:00 am GMT-5  

    • Wow, that was a lot of plastic surgeries ago for Louise.

      By Blogger JSU, at Wed Dec 06, 09:17:00 am GMT-5  

    • As usual, you inspire (a music list you should appreciate).

      Personally, I'm an URGE combined with a Samsung YP-Z5 type fellow, but if the iTunes does it for you, that's cool.

      By Blogger XWL, at Wed Dec 06, 03:20:00 pm GMT-5  

    • Love the Shuffle on the Corgi [see QEII's silhouette]

      By Blogger Ruth Anne Adams, at Wed Dec 06, 07:48:00 pm GMT-5  

    • As long-time NHL analyst and playlist aficionado, John Buccigros says:

      Holy schnikey, Elko!

      That is a massive list of some excellent musics (as my mother puts it).

      Any man who likes ABBA, Conway Twitty, Vassil Najdenov and Rammstein can't be all bad.

      Just who is Vassil Najdenov any road?

      Anyway, I'm very impressed, and thank you so much for posting your would-be playlist.

      You have given me ideas about downloading songs -- which is really the only reason we ask each other "What's on your iPod?" to begin with.

      Cheers,
      Victoria

      By Blogger vbspurs, at Wed Dec 06, 09:33:00 pm GMT-5  

    • When I was less un-flush, I built a 1500 cd library! But in these leaner times I am podless, so I rock out at home...someday perhaps.

      Oh Ronnie, Ronnie. Still, you're here and when you're amongst friends, your riches brim to overflow.

      Not to make light of anything (moi?), but my mother says you can get used iPods near pawn shops, near the end of the month.

      Crack addicts sell them dirt cheap, after having been turned away by the pawn brokers:

      No ID, no sale, apparently.

      How she knows this I don't know, but I did notice we have a LOT of jewelry recently).

      I just emailed you a related pic!

      Boo! I haven't checked my email account(s) for ages...shall I dare tackle them tonight? You may motivate me.

      Thank you, though!

      Audio books...maybe you can blend them with more jams! ("Enola Gay" by OMD whilst listening about Relativity, perhaps)

      LOL. As ever.

      Cheers,
      Victoria

      By Blogger vbspurs, at Wed Dec 06, 09:37:00 pm GMT-5  

    • Wow, that was a lot of plastic surgeries ago for Louise.

      Teehee, Louise. I had to look Madonna's middle name up, since the only nom de guerre I recall was Esther.

      Apparently, that's off these days, though.

      And ooh! BTW, I was in a mall recently in Coral Gables, when some well-to-do young kids approached me.

      The time? A light? Directions to Prada?

      No, sir, not a bit of it.

      They handed me a Kabbalah flyer, and said "If you're searching for deeper meaning to life, give this a try."

      I took it, flustered and polite as I am, but walked back, and with a smile I said:

      "Thanks. But I'm a happy Roman Catholic"

      Damn skimpy.

      Cheers,
      Victoria

      By Blogger vbspurs, at Wed Dec 06, 09:41:00 pm GMT-5  

    • As usual, you inspire (a music list you should appreciate).

      Thanks for bringing folk down to my blog, XWL! :)

      Personally, I'm an URGE combined with a Samsung YP-Z5 type fellow, but if the iTunes does it for you, that's cool.

      I asked the question in your site, but I'll ask it again here.

      If I download URGE, will the mandatory upgrade to WMP 11 throw my computer out of whack?

      I have WMP 10.5, and resist change as a matter-of-course.

      And I still have nightmares about the buggy iTunes 7.0.0.

      Cheers,
      Victoria

      By Blogger vbspurs, at Wed Dec 06, 09:43:00 pm GMT-5  

    • BTW, nice Samsung, but this sends shivers:

      The Bad

      * Proprietary Connection


      Hayul, no. That's like Zune.

      Cheers,
      Victoria

      By Blogger vbspurs, at Wed Dec 06, 09:45:00 pm GMT-5  

    • Love the Shuffle on the Corgi [see QEII's silhouette]

      Just you wait, Ruth Anne.

      I'll sling my iPod on Schmoopsie and take a pic. You'll die.

      Cheers,
      Victoria

      By Blogger vbspurs, at Wed Dec 06, 09:46:00 pm GMT-5  

    • I'll give the same answer here, WMP 11 is out of beta and seems to be stable, at least I haven't had any problems.

      If you have an up to date version of Windows XP, everything will work fine.

      And most companies go proprietary for their connectors on MP3 players, Apple does, afterall.

      The big problem with Zune is that it's not compatible with all the subscription services like Napster and URGE forcing folks into their Zune Marketplace (but then, that's a trick they copied from Apple).

      For all MSFT talk about Zune being 'social' it needs to be a lot more promiscuous to become popular, most high school cheerleaders figure that out, why couldn't Microsoft?

      By Blogger XWL, at Thu Dec 07, 01:28:00 am GMT-5  

    • "I want my childhood Madonna back, not the Area 51 Jar Jar Binks' mum she's tranformed herself into..."

      One of the funniest things I've read in a long time.

      You're good!

      By Blogger kelsso, at Sun Dec 10, 12:27:00 pm GMT-5  

    • You're good!

      And yet, so very very bad.

      Cheers,
      Victoria

      By Blogger vbspurs, at Sun Dec 10, 04:15:00 pm GMT-5  

    • Any man who likes ABBA, Conway Twitty, Vassil Najdenov and Rammstein can't be all bad.

      As if there were any indications that I am bad, regardless. ;)


      Just who is Vassil Najdenov any road?

      A BG pop-rock dinosaur. He came into the limelight in 1981 when he sang the theme song of the "Adaptatziya" (Adaptation) TV miniseries. Both were instant classics.


      You have given me ideas about downloading songs -- which is really the only reason we ask each other "What's on your iPod?" to begin with.

      Yup. But some of them you can't find anywhere. Do you have an e-mail that handles large attachments - like gmail? I could e-mail you some noteworthy BG pieces. And for downloading, try to find the following (they are relatively obscure, curiously strong, and I like them ;)

      - Mathews Southern Comfort - Woodstock
      - Mixtures - The Pushbike Song
      - Pipkins - Gimme dat ding
      - Christie - Yellow River
      - violent femmes - kiss off
      - Andy Williams - Home Lovin' Man
      - The Piglets - Johnny Reggae
      - Scaffold - Lily The Pink
      - Dana - All Kinds Of Everthing

      By Anonymous Elko, at Sun Dec 10, 10:08:00 pm GMT-5  

    • As if there were any indications that I am bad, regardless. ;)

      Heh. As if anyone who likes to hang around me, is. ;)

      A BG pop-rock dinosaur. He came into the limelight in 1981 when he sang the theme song of the "Adaptatziya" (Adaptation) TV miniseries. Both were instant classics.

      I love this knowledge! I shall investigate some more.

      Yup. But some of them you can't find anywhere. Do you have an e-mail that handles large attachments - like gmail?

      Try my beach account. That's the one I try to check every once in a while -- albeit I haven't for 2 months. :((

      Just send me a heads-up on my blog, though, if you do.

      I could e-mail you some noteworthy BG pieces. And for downloading, try to find the following (they are relatively obscure, curiously strong, and I like them ;)

      You may think I'm kidding, but I tell you, Elko, I would be SO grateful if you could do that for me.

      - Mathews Southern Comfort - Woodstock
      - Mixtures - The Pushbike Song
      - Pipkins - Gimme dat ding
      - Christie - Yellow River
      - violent femmes - kiss off
      - Andy Williams - Home Lovin' Man
      - The Piglets - Johnny Reggae
      - Scaffold - Lily The Pink
      - Dana - All Kinds Of Everthing

      Lemme look these up. What I don't have, I will tell you, so perhaps we can ahem, work something out. ;)

      Mersi!
      V.

      By Blogger vbspurs, at Tue Dec 12, 04:52:00 pm GMT-5  

    • OK, so instead of e-mailing, I put two Panayot Panayotov pieces where you can find them here.

      The first one, Shopkinya, is an example of contemporary BG pop-folk; you might like it, or not, I don't know. Notice the characteristic Oriental rhythms.
      The second, Bashtinata kushta, is one of my favorite BG songs, partly because of the text, and Panayot performs it magnificiently. (It is a somewhat nostalgic piece a la Green Green Grass of Home).

      Let me know how it goes.

      By Anonymous Elko, at Wed Dec 13, 10:26:00 pm GMT-5  

    • I have a lot of songs on my iPod, but I don't think I've actually heard half of them, I'm always listening to Eric Solomon whose songs are all on my top 20- check out his website and listen to some of his music, you'll want to buy the CD!

      By Blogger Isheeta, at Thu Aug 07, 10:26:00 am GMT-4  

    Post a Comment

    Who linked Here:

    Create a Link

    << Home


     




    Advertise on blogs
    British Expat Blog Directory.