.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Friday, February 23, 2007

The City Hall Beautiful




My favourite building in Miami, bar none -- Coral Gables City Hall.

You've already witnessed my love for Coral Gables, in my previous travellogue, but I wanted to highlight this building, on its lonesome.

The people who run the City Beautiful inside this edifice are, as follows:

· Mayor Don Slesnick, II

· Vice-Mayor Maria Anderson

· Commissioner Rafael "Ralph" Cabrera, Jr.

· Commissioner William H. Kerdyk, Jr.

· Commissioner Wayne E. "Chip" Withers


Here's another random beef, why do American politicians add their nickname in inverted commas, to the middle of their names? Argh, it's so dopey.

I can't say anything about this group of commissioners, since I don't live near them to judge, save for the fact that in very few areas of this city, will you find only one Cuban-American name listed in the roster of elected politicians.

It's like going to Boston, and finding only one Irish name in the bunch.

The good thing about having visited the official City Hall website, is that though I didn't find out who that chap in the statue is (I'm guessing it's Coral Gables founder, George Merrick), I did find out that we are to have a new,

Coral Gables Museum

Excellent!

Not much is known so far, but the blurb says this:

"The Coral Gables Museum will be housed in the historic Phineas Paist Police and Fire station built in 1936. The unique W.P.A. era coral stone structure will be restored and updated to serve its new purpose and new gallery spaces will be added to produce 7,000 square feet of exhibition space."

I'm sure it will be as elegant and gracious, as the rest of the city.

BONUS SHOT: Coral Gables City Hall, from Miracle Mile, at dusk.


Labels: ,

9 Comments:

  • Definitely a beautiful building. I personally love the Freedom Tower for sentimental reasons!

    As far as the elected officials, remember that in the Gables we had a Cuban Mayor, Valdes-Fauli, who I think did a decent job but was apparently considered to be too much pro-development and he lost in a re-election bid.

    By Blogger Jose Aguirre, at Fri Feb 23, 08:11:00 am GMT-5  

  • I'll have you know that during the last run for the student parliament thing at my university, people added nicknames to their names too - those nicks are the names under which many of these people are better known, thanks to an online community of sorts. Kinda helped with getting elected. Not at all comparable to "Chip" (off the old block?), but just an anecdote.

    By Blogger madcynic, at Fri Feb 23, 09:03:00 am GMT-5  

  • And yes Victoria that is a statue of George Merrick, the city's founder.

    By Blogger Jose Aguirre, at Fri Feb 23, 11:56:00 am GMT-5  

  • Definitely a beautiful building. I personally love the Freedom Tower for sentimental reasons!

    That's the most beautiful building in Miami, bar none.

    But you see, apart from having gone to Celia Cruz' velorio, I don't have any concrete memories of that place, as you of course do.

    I have been inside this City Hall back when that guy Valdes-Fauli, was mayor. We went to a few receptions there, since you know how much of a socialite he was.

    As far as the elected officials, remember that in the Gables we had a Cuban Mayor, Valdes-Fauli, who I think did a decent job but was apparently considered to be too much pro-development and he lost in a re-election bid.

    Yep! He was considered a good mayor, but I have to tell you, he was a bit of a snob.

    Of course, in Coral Gables, he fit in just fine. :)

    Do you still jog past the building sometimes? Just the thought of you in tight running shorts is troubling to me.

    (And ahh, good. George Merrick. Thought so. He looked too pudgy to be Ponce de Leon)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Fri Feb 23, 05:26:00 pm GMT-5  

  • MALTE!!! Welcome to Sundries. ;)

    Seriously, Malte, I am so happy you are here.

    If we could only get Jouni, and Sven, and Jim, and Tom to come (since Paul is "around), it would be like old times...

    I'll have you know that during the last run for the student parliament thing at my university, people added nicknames to their names too - those nicks are the names under which many of these people are better known, thanks to an online community of sorts. Kinda helped with getting elected.

    Well, yes...but that's a student thingie! Where levity and lack of pomposity is a given.

    But for a city election??

    Can you imagine if the Bundeskanzlerin had run this slogan:

    Vote for Dr. Angela "Angie" Merkel!

    Come on. Even Stoiber wouldn't have voted for her. :)

    Not at all comparable to "Chip" (off the old block?),

    Chip, for ME, is the quintessential snotty American nickname.

    Maybe only Biff comes close.

    but just an anecdote.

    I love your anecdote. And congrats on your win. :)

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Fri Feb 23, 05:30:00 pm GMT-5  

  • I love your anecdote. And congrats on your win. :)

    You're welcome. Now fill me in: What win are you talking about?

    And you should have seen the comments that nickname move got from the other candidates. Pure jealousy for not thinking of that. Muhaha.

    P.S. I think my nick is still pretty unique, so yes it IS me. Thanks for adding that blog of mine too, that was quick. :)

    By Blogger madcynic, at Fri Feb 23, 05:59:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Do you still jog past the building sometimes? Just the thought of you in tight running shorts is troubling to me.

    Yes Victoria I finish my jogs right across the street from George's statue. Not sure why that thought would be troubling as I happen to have nice legs; but in any event I run in very loose fitting shorts!

    By Blogger Jose Aguirre, at Fri Feb 23, 07:12:00 pm GMT-5  


  • You're welcome. Now fill me in: What win are you talking about?


    Oops. :)

    And you should have seen the comments that nickname move got from the other candidates. Pure jealousy for not thinking of that. Muhaha.

    Jealous Germans. It sounds like a musical, Malte. A really bad one.

    P.S. I think my nick is still pretty unique, so yes it IS me. Thanks for adding that blog of mine too, that was quick. :)

    Darling, it may not always seem so, but I never forget a friend or a kindness.

    Whichever comes first. :)

    Mwah!
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sat Feb 24, 05:35:00 am GMT-5  

  • Yes Victoria I finish my jogs right across the street from George's statue. Not sure why that thought would be troubling as I happen to have nice legs; but in any event I run in very loose fitting shorts!

    RRRRRR! Dios mio! Me salgo de mi abrigo porque se ponio caliente la cosa!

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Sat Feb 24, 05:37:00 am GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.