.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Before William Hung

But after Tiny Tim, there was Wing, a Hong Kong singer who has to be heard to be believed.

South Park already dedicated a whole episode to her, and you know how much they hate Barbra Streisand -- so they have great taste.

Unfortunately, I can't find the version I purchased (yes, actually purchased) on iTunes, which was Wing's interpretation of "Coal Miner's Daughter", the best song ever written.

Oh God, I was rolling in the aisles for hours.

Do yourselves a favour and go to iTunes, search for Wing, and just let your mind be blown away.

Her best known song is AC/DC's "Back in Black" so I bought that too! Check out these folks' reactions, especially the two rather butch girls' at 1:03.



What is it about our love of hearing Asians mangle songs? Is it racist, or that "singers" like Hung and Wing are slightly geeky and therefore adorably camp?

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

  • "What is it about our love of hearing Asians mangle songs?"

    Perhaps a certain prominent Hawaiian-Indonesian will, to win over the arugula-averse, treat us to his rendition of "Coal Miner's Daughter"...

    By Blogger JSU, at Tue Jul 22, 03:41:00 am GMT-4  

  • Hey, Maybe I'll do a version! What the hell...ah, but I'm just bad. If I only stunk even more I'd be good!

    By Blogger Ron, at Tue Jul 22, 04:00:00 am GMT-4  

  • A reason to love ordinary people: They make little videos like this for us...who are not ordinary to enjoy. I applaud the impuse and the actual execution leaves me in awe.

    Surely you saw, relatedly/unrelate, the Alannis Morisette version of "My Humps"?
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=W91sqAs-_-g

    I was going to preface this all with "This is different but" BUT I'm not going to do that.

    By Blogger chuck b., at Tue Jul 22, 04:01:00 am GMT-4  

  • Loretta Lynn shore can write them lyrics...

    The work we done was hard
    at night we'd sleep cause we were tired


    ...and that couplet actually rhymes when she sings it.

    By Blogger Ruth Anne Adams, at Tue Jul 22, 10:14:00 am GMT-4  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.