.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

...a sweatshop of moxie

Thursday, September 18, 2008

Should I Or Shouldn't I?

Should I attend the Barack Obama rally at the University of Miami Friday, or not?

There apparently are no tickets. It's first-come, first-served for the 11:45 AM EST event. People will be queueing up by at least 7 AM, I know it. At most, I would be able to go at 10 AM. I'm not standing around for more than 2 hours for this.

So, Sundries readers, should I go, or just watch it at home via the online TV link provided?

Labels: ,


  • If you go, I'm most interested in the 'pulse' of the room. Are people excited, scared, phoney, what?

    If you can't make it, stay home and live-blog it.

    By Blogger Ruth Anne Adams, at Thu Sep 18, 10:06:00 pm GMT-4  

  • go! History!

    By Blogger UWS guy, at Thu Sep 18, 10:09:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Do go; I trust your read on events.

    By Blogger Pogo, at Thu Sep 18, 10:51:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Still welcoming opinions. :)

    But I want to thank Ruth Anne, UWS Guy and Pogo for theirs!

    Let's say right now I am edging 60%-40% to going. Like UWS Guy said, and it's a savvy thing to say TO ME specifically, "history".

    But after watching Palin's Part 2 with Hannity, I would feel, I dunno, like I was a fraud there or something.

    Not sure I am putting my feelings across well about this, but perhaps those of you who know me, understand anyway.


    By Blogger vbspurs, at Thu Sep 18, 11:40:00 pm GMT-4  

  • If you're going with an open mind, I say go! But if you're going just to reaffirm what you already think about Obama...why waste your time? You can confirm your bias simply enough by watching it on the teevee.

    By Blogger Zachary Paul Sire, at Thu Sep 18, 11:50:00 pm GMT-4  

  • I'd say it depends on how interested you are in getting an accurate idea of how things went.

    Historical reasons, if you like. If you're not there, you don't really know what happened, but if you are, you do. Simple as that.

    The only thing that matters is whether or not you care.

    By Blogger blake, at Thu Sep 18, 11:56:00 pm GMT-4  

  • If you're going with an open mind, I say go! But if you're going just to reaffirm what you already think about Obama...why waste your time?

    Zach, thanks for your input.

    Let me lay my cards down about Obama. I'm not going to vote for him. Nothing that he can say will change that opinion. I am not going there to be converted to his cause.

    But I'm not going there to snark, and be a Right-Wing Code Pink either. That's what I most hate about your insinuation (mild, but it's still present) that I have a closed mind, and therefore it's a waste of my time.

    I'm a professional writer. I know when I am being partisan, and when I'm trying to be true to my ideals, but not shrill.

    If you check the Sarah Palin Kindle book, you will see my review of the book. Clearly, I liked it, and pointed out the good parts. But today, a person who didn't like Palin complimented me on my review, saying it was good despite the fact that he didn't like her.

    That's what I would bring out of this meeting with Obama.

    I haven't seen you be that detached in your own blog, but I would hope you could do the same, if faced with Sarah Palin or John McCain at a rally.

    In short, if I go, I'm not going to be anyone but the person I am. But I'm not a hack, nor an extremist.


    By Blogger vbspurs, at Fri Sep 19, 12:43:00 am GMT-4  

  • The only thing that matters is whether or not you care.

    Thanks, Blake, too. :)

    I only care about the history of it. It's one of those odd human impulses to be around a moment in time, a person of the day, to feel that you were somehow a part of it.

    I went to see Nelson Mandela at Oxford, and a slew of other famous people for exactly the same reason.

    But at the end of the day, I don't care about Obama, and I wonder how shallow I am being if I go. It's also masochistic, to a degree.

    Right now, I am 65%-35% in favour of going. It's inching up.

    I just did my laundry, and my kit is ready to go. I just need to see if I can wake up on time.


    By Blogger vbspurs, at Fri Sep 19, 12:47:00 am GMT-4  

  • I have been plenty detached, on my blog, about Obama. He is not my favorite, but I trust him to make decisions more in line with my worldview than the other guys will.

    If you do decide to go, one fact remains, I will definitely enjoy reading your report!

    By Blogger Zachary Paul Sire, at Fri Sep 19, 01:41:00 am GMT-4  

  • Much appreciate, Zach! :)

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Fri Sep 19, 01:47:00 am GMT-4  

  • Go. Open yourself to conversion, then write about your own political faith.

    By Blogger chickenlittle, at Fri Sep 19, 10:10:00 am GMT-4  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.