.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

...a sweatshop of moxie

Monday, February 02, 2009

Heckuva Game

What did you think of Super Bowl 43?

Frankly, I watched the first half with half an eye at the screen, the other chasing down information on slutty used car parts salespeople. It wasn't that interesting until JUST at the half, when that defensive end ran down an interception for an unbelievable 100 yards.

It was the quintessential Chris Berman moment, when he was rumbling, stumbling, bumbling, and incredibly no one could bring him down. My grandma could tackle better than that. Although she did play for the Packers.

Then came The Boss, whose music I have never cared for. When I think of blue-collar music, I automatically think of Hank Williams Sr. and George Jones, not lefty loudmouths who sing torch songs about Jersey.

(He was great, obviously. I'll take him a dozen times over Mr. Wardrobe Malfunction and the Peek-a-Boo booby)

The commercials were a mixed bag.

"Go Daddy" just went all out and broke their adversiting piggybank, though I can't say I really cared for any of them, ditto for the unamusingly sexist "Power of the Crunch" Doritos one. But I think it's fairly received wisdom that the Budweiser horses with that laughable Scots accent were a rom-com hit. I loved the circus lady falling off from the horse, although I confess making fun of fat ladies in tutus is so "Laugh In".

And who is this, Tony the Tiger?

The third half didn't offer much, but I felt that the Cards were never out of it. My pre-game prediction had been 22 Cards 17 Pittsburgh, figuring into that tally a 3+7+7+3+2 scoring output. Lo-and-behold, they did score a safety, which I hadn't realised hadn't been done in eons in a Super Bowl.

I think it's the Catholic in me, since I like the prayerful gesture which imparts a moment of humble supplication into an otherwise bombastic sport.

Ironically, it was that play that set the tone for the 4th quarter, which was surely one of the best ever in a Super Bowl. I just cannot get over Santonio Holmes' catch in the end-zone. The Belle Glade, Florida boy must've practised scraping his toes with both feet down so that a touchdown would count many many times.

Look at this! It's crazy good, as the kids say.

That is very hard to do, indeed, but full credit to Big Ben Roethlisberger (who at 26, looks like a 42 year-old man already) for the laser sharp throw.

I suppose now that he has two Super Bowl rings that he should be considered second-only to Tom Brady, trumping my beloved Peyton Manning from the number 2 spot. But you know, Ben doesn't do anything on the field that warrants such adulation.

He's worse than Dan Marino, that statue in the middle of the field. He just stands there, throws, gets hit and gets back up to do it all over again in the next down. Even Terry Bradshaw, who is certifiable, did more than that.

Still, in the modern age, the Pittsburgh Steelers are the soccer equivalent of Italy or Inter Milan, at club level.

Sure, they will never dazzle anyone with their offensive output, but you are certain you are watching consummate professionals at work, capable of that amazing killer touch when it counts the most.

Congrats Steeler Nation!

IN THE COMMENTS: Wow, Sundries readers sure are down with the corporate mascots. Jim writes:

"That was the Cheetah for Cheetos. "They're cheesy."

To which Alcibiades replies, "His proper name is "Chester Cheetah".

Chester? I dunno guys. I loved Tony the Tiger. He's grrrrreat! Come on, you knew that was coming.

Labels: ,


  • That was the Cheetah for Cheetos. "They're cheesy."

    By Blogger Jim, at Mon Feb 02, 09:21:00 am GMT-5  

  • I didn't see most of it. I joined a neighborhood party late for the 4th quarter, finding some glum "it's all over" Cardinal fans. Coincidently, the game then turned around for a bit, before ending nicely. I was for the Steelers, but found myself rooting for Fitzgerald--he was the one who gave the Cardinals some hope.

    By Blogger chickenlittle, at Mon Feb 02, 10:53:00 am GMT-5  

  • His proper name is "Chester Cheetah".

    By Anonymous alcibiades, at Mon Feb 02, 03:44:00 pm GMT-5  

  • Thanks, Victoria for the Super Bowl post.

    It is Chester Cheetah for Cheetos. Tony the Tiger has a bigger face and touts Kellogg's Frosted Flakes. Not sure Kellogg's would venture into the Super Bowl commerical arena.

    As for me....I am a sap for all the Clydesdale/Budweiser commercials. The Scottish talking horse....whose voice is that? Sounded almost like Collin Farrel of In Bruges' fame.

    The stick-throwin' commercial I think goes back to last year's Bud commercial where the horse didn't make the team and the Dalmatian trained him in a "Rocky-esque" manner. Anyway....I loved that one, too as well as the "in love" Clydesdale who rescued his beloved a non-Clyde from the circus.

    Pure genious on the part of the Budweiser group who does their ads.

    I agree, Chickenlittle, that Fitzgerald was simply amazing!! I so wanted the Cardinals to win....because they play so intently and were the underdogs.

    As to Ben looking 42....that must mean that Brett Favre of Green Bay fame (the Jets' season was a dream like in the Bob Newhart show...and tomorrow Brett will wake up back in Titletown....*lol*) must look 70....because Mr. Favre is almost 40 or is 40 and I think aside from the gray...looks great!!

    Take care and enjoy a brunch at Denny's tomorrow!!

    Peggy :)

    By Blogger Peggy Gero DaValt, at Mon Feb 02, 06:33:00 pm GMT-5  

  • I'd put money on the voice of the Clydesdale being Adrian Paul.

    By Blogger Synova, at Tue Feb 03, 02:27:00 am GMT-5  

  • "The third half didn't offer much, but I felt that the Cards were never out of it."

    I never saw a third half that was worth the price of admission. Sorry! Your perfection is legendary.

    By Blogger Darrell, at Wed Feb 04, 03:11:00 am GMT-5  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.