.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Sundries
...a sweatshop of moxie

Sunday, October 02, 2005

I Saw Elian

But I don't think he saw me amongst the hundreds, perhaps thousands outside his Miami family's home.

(I just arrived home tonight, after watching a film. I actually recorded an Audioblogger post from there, but it obviously didn't make it out)

I'll be blogging about that tonight, to "honour" CBS' 60 Minutes interview with the 11 year-old Elian Gonzalez on Sunday at 7 PM EDT.

I was heartsick when I heard he called Castro his friend...more later.

ADDENDUM: When I sat down to write my Elian impressions, not only of last night's broadcast, but my own recollections, I became a bit depressed. It's over and done with. If he's happy, then fine. As my mother always said, anyway, he can come back any time to find out what liberty, not just security, means. Maybe I'll write my impressions one day, but just not now.

5 Comments:

  • I just found this blog you might like: Garbo Lives!

    There are lots of stills from some of her films and she looks positively incandescent. She's luminous like a Hurrell portrait. Nobody looks like that on film anymore. Is it just the black and white? Scroll to the very bottom for the glowiest ones. There are lots of different links on the right side of the page to still from other films.

    By Blogger lindsey, at Sun Oct 02, 04:50:00 am GMT-4  

  • The way that Clinton/Reno and the MSM handled the Elian tragedy caused a lot of pain in our community. I can only hope Elian will some day soon be free to read and say whatever he wants to.

    By Blogger Jose Aguirre, at Sun Oct 02, 01:30:00 pm GMT-4  

  • It is depressing, and your mother is incorrect, Elian can't just come back any time and taste freedom. He is unfortunately now valuable to castro's oppressive regime and is more a prisoner than the other 11 million average Cubans.

    By Blogger Jose Aguirre, at Mon Oct 03, 04:07:00 pm GMT-4  

  • It is depressing, and your mother is incorrect, Elian can't just come back any time and taste freedom. He is unfortunately now valuable to castro's oppressive regime and is more a prisoner than the other 11 million average Cubans.

    Ay Jose. That viejo chocho can't last forever -- one day, Elian will be back in Miami, tu veras!

    BTW, did you see that Delfin Gonzalez and family had made the NW Miami home into a kind of shrine to Elian?

    It's a museum. How can I live in this area, and have to have 60 Minutes tell me something about the area, I never heard of here?

    It reminds me of the family of MLK Jr. charging people to enter the old family digs...

    Cheers,
    Victoria

    By Blogger vbspurs, at Mon Oct 03, 08:47:00 pm GMT-4  

  • Yes, one day Cuba will be free and then Elian will be free to read and say what he wants. Let's hope that day is soon!

    By Blogger Jose Aguirre, at Tue Oct 04, 10:00:00 am GMT-4  

Post a Comment

Who linked Here:

Create a Link

<< Home


 




Advertise on blogs
British Expat Blog Directory.